Anyone seriously contemplate quitting golf (temporary or permanent) ?

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
I'm sure this thread could be turned into a joke of some kind, but im looking for serious responses. Has anyone in their golf careers ever seriously contemplated quitting ? Was it due to bad play or just how hard this game is? Or possibly the lack of being able to play due to time constraints or family obligations ?

ive been playing for almost 35 years now, and during those years it has been either avid or casual. If I had my choice now I would play everyday if possible. However; I've had years where time was available and I decided to do other things the majority of the time. My worst seasons I at least played 5 to 10 times and best was 150 plus rounds. So for me, thoughts of quitting are due to the time it takes to play and wanting to play but just can't now. This is frustrating and many times I have an attitude of finding a hobby that requires less time. Unfortunately when most quit something they rarely come back. I'm just making the best of being a range golfer, but I also chip and putt simulating a round of golf without being able to play

Who else contemplates quitting, and why? Or if you did quit and came back how long were you gone ?

I think when people quit the game, they rarely make a conscious decision to quit. They just end up not being able to play for a few weeks, which turns into a few months, which can turn into years.

Nope. I love the game.
I love this place.
Odds are, most on a golf forum, are interested in thought of staying with the game.

This morning actually ... played like crud and cursed the golf gods. Then I hit two GIRs in a row (never done that before) by hitting pure shots with my 5H and I decided I love the game of golf.

I have stopped playing a couple of times in my life for a few years, last time was 8years, only because my kids were into all kids of sports and not interested in golf. I pick the game up just over 4 years ago again and just before I joined this site. I don't see myself stopping anytime soon as the kids have moved out and they also enjoy playing golf now.

Nope. I've loved golf ever since I started playing it. The only times I don't play golf when I have the chance to is if my back is hurting, and even then that doesn't always stop me from playing.

Never crossed my mind, yes work & family or other commitments get in the way, but I'll try and make up for those missed rounds. I just shot my worst round in years in front of THPrs at LiiTA and did I care NOPE, it's all about the fun and those rare shots that tells me 'you can do it'. So for me it's 'Keep It Fun'

This morning actually ... played like crud and cursed the golf gods. Then I hit two GIRs in a row (never done that before) by hitting pure shots with my 5H and I decided I love the game of golf.

its funny how a few good or bad shots can change our whole perspective

I've joked about it after poor play many times, but when you hit that pure shot it always makes me realize that's why we play. I don't have the time I would like to dedicate to practice, so I'll probably never be better than a high single digit handicap, but I just love the game. I've played competitive sports all the way through college & golf is pretty much all I've got left at this point. As long as the finances are in line, I'll be out there beating it around.

For no reason what so ever, I stopped playing for 4 years the day my son was born, I finished a tournament went home, 3 hours later we were at the Hospital. 4 years later we went to Amelia island for some reason i threw my clubs in the car, I played 9 holes...6 months later we did a summer membership at a local club & I started playing again. there are always times when I ask myself why i continue to do this, but I continue to do it.

I've sat out a couple of summers due to injury. I've contemplated quitting too many times to count. But, I enjoy the game, and, as a personal aside, getting my head right about the game (not letting a bad shot ruin a round/not letting a bad round ruin the week), has made me much more of an "avid casual" player. (Still casual, but much more intent on becoming better.)

I walked away from the in 2002. I was so feed up with the pga that I threw my clubs in the closet and dint think twice about them. But one day the passion came back

I was introduced to golf at age 5 when my parents started playing. From about age 8, golf was the most important aspect of my life; hit balls every day for a couple hours before my friends would come to the course and then we played 27 or 36 holes. Later, my dad became course manager and I started working course maintenance as well. This passion lasted until after my sophomore year in college. That's when I made a decision to stop competitive golf and to concentrate on my studies. I found I didn't really enjoy playing much unless I could also practice as much as I was accustomed to, so I essentially stopped playing.

Years later, got married and good job, wife convinced me to play again. I played quite a bit for two years but then had kids and quit again. I consider myself blessed because I can go years without touching a club and then still go out and shoot par with my dad when I see him or sometimes with a friend from work. I have never lost my love for the game; always enjoy watching a good tourney on tv or in person if possible. My dream is to be able to practice and play as I once did again in a few years.

More I could add but this too long already, hah . Sometime I may start a thread and detail more about my golfing life.

I think when people quit the game, they rarely make a conscious decision to quit. They just end up not being able to play for a few weeks, which turns into a few months, which can turn into years.

This is exactly what happened to me in my early 20's. Always seemed to have some small nagging injury or something better to do, coupled by a few bad rounds...and then all of a sudden i realized it had almost been 10 years since i last played and couldn't really answer as to why specifically. Honestly I don't ever see that happening again, especially with the addition of this forum and the people I've met on it, and been somewhat fanatical/avid now for the last 3 years.

absolutely. it's happened a few times, and it's always because my expectations far outpace my abilities. but when i go from threatening to break 80 every time i tee it up, to not able to break 100 and shanking every shot, the game stops being fun. i've stepped away for several months, meaning no contact with golf clubs, no watching golf on tv, no internet golfer participation, just cold turkey. i've found that the game eventually comes back to find me, and when it does, my passion is more intense than before.

i don't think i'll ever quit again. expectations still =/= ability for me, but i'm committed to fixing that and playing at the level i know deep down i can play.

I was introduced to golf at age 5 when my parents started playing. From about age 8, golf was the most important aspect of my life; hit balls every day for a couple hours before my friends would come to the course and then we played 27 or 36 holes. Later, my dad became course manager and I started working course maintenance as well. This passion lasted until after my sophomore year in college. That's when I made a decision to stop competitive golf and to concentrate on my studies. I found I didn't really enjoy playing much unless I could also practice as much as I was accustomed to, so I essentially stopped playing.

Years later, got married and good job, wife convinced me to play again. I played quite a bit for two years but then had kids and quit again. I consider myself blessed because I can go years without touching a club and then still go out and shoot par with my dad when I see him or sometimes with a friend from work. I have never lost my love for the game; always enjoy watching a good tourney on tv or in person if possible. My dream is to be able to practice and play as I once did again in a few years.

More I could add but this too long already, hah . Sometime I may start a thread and detail more about my golfing life.
I so totally hate you, LOL.

I won't lie, my body wearing out has put the thought in my head a time or two .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I so totally hate you, LOL.

Haha...I get that, but those countless balls hit on the range and the luxury of being able to play all day every day at my small town course had to have some kind of a payoff. :)

I won't lie, my body wearing out has put the thought in my head a time or two .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm praying my body holds up too. My dad turns 90 in a few weeks and he still plays 9 holes each day so here's hoping...

I've been fighting a hiccup in my swing for almost a year, and it's frustrating me to the point where I've thought about it. More so recently. I love this game, and I've never had this issue before. The thing is, I know what it is I'm doing wrong, but as I tell myself, don't do that...then I record my swing, and I still see it. I almost feel like Tin Cup before the US Open. It's frustrating, to say the least. Will I quit, no I don't think so....BUT...if I don't figure this out soon, the THP Event in July might be my last round of the year. I wouldn't stop being here, but maybe my body/swing needs a reset, I don't know.

Sure, I have thought about it occasionally. Usually as a product of frustration or being burnt out. Always very temporary and never acted on it.

Never crossed my mind. Between 2001 and 2003 my time was limited but I played as much as I could and wanted more. Same from 2007-2009/2010.

I love the game too much to think about quitting

So MM, I'm curious, you seem to be spending your time at the range "simulating" golf now. And I'm not trying to get personal and ask about the time issue, that's your business, but do you HAVE to simulate the round? Can you maybe get 9 in? Or maybe get that first or last tee time of the day so it isn't as much of an impact on whatever you have going on, plus you can usually knock out a round pretty quickly.

I think from reading this, you've seen that it is actually not uncommon at all for people to take a break from the game for varying periods of time only to some day, look at those dusty clubs and break them out again. If you need to walk away awhile due to time constraints, frustration, money tight, just not as interested anymore, then walk away for a few weeks. The reevaluate after 3 or 4 weeks, which may turn into a year or who knows.

I've never really considered giving up due to poor play. I know I'll never be known as a really good golfer. I have gotten to where I'm finally consistently in the high 80's or low 90's, but I'm still capable of throwing up all over the course and posting a 105!! Do I get frustrated in the moment and ask why do I spend my money and time doing something that I suck so bad at? Sure, but that usually only lasts for a shot or two, LOL. Luckily I've got a good friend base that involves golf. I am considering backing off on golf a little bit though and sharing that time with my other passion which is motorcycle riding. Unfortunately, both of those hobbies take place in EXACTLY the same weather so it is a constant battle. Do I go for a ride with this group of friends or go golf with that group. So far golf has won, but that is also in large part due to the riding here around Kansas City. The roads are fairly flat, straight, and at 90 degrees to one another. I have to drive for over an hour before I start getting into any fun curvy roads, and if I want to really get into fun roads I need to go close to 3 hours for the twisty's where you can really lay the bike low into the curves and hills.

You'll figure it out which ever way you go.

I essentially quit the game after college, but only because I didn't have the money to play.

Other than that, the longest I've ever quit the game was between the 18th hole and my post-round shower. Then back on THP to remind myself why I love it again.

Back