2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sposey, you can also answer the questions posed in my previous post

High elbow rows (with proper form) are good, my PT started me on those post surgery, and I assure he is NOT a moron.

The problem is most people do not do them with proper form and use to much weight.

I'm sure they consulted with "professionals". having spent time around NSCA trainers, most are morons in my opinion. Most S&C coaches are morons.

Regardless if you agree, if you don't that's fine. But it isn't hard to see the issues with a "bottoms up kettlebell press" or high elbows row.

High elbow rows (with proper form) are good, my PT started me on those post surgery, and I assure he is NOT a moron.

The problem is most people do not do them with proper form and use to much weight.
I agree with you there. As long as the arms aren't shrugged up while pulling. Which is hard to do. I'm assuming PT means physical therapist. Which, I assume, he recommends high elbows row are done with light weights to ensure proper form. Which is great. It's not a bad lift for rehab and therapy. But for a general strength building lift, it's inefficient and dangerous.

I agree with you there. As long as the arms aren't shrugged up while pulling. Which is hard to do. I'm assuming PT means physical therapist. Which, I assume, he recommends high elbows row are done with light weights to ensure proper form. Which is great. It's not a bad lift for rehab and therapy. But for a general strength building lift, it's inefficient and dangerous.
Yes physical therapist.
I think any exercise can be bad if proper form is not used.
Deads are great but I see proper form seldom, if not using proper form deads are a recipe for disaster

Yes physical therapist.
I think any exercise can be bad if proper form is not used.
Deads are great but I see proper form seldom, if not using proper form deads are a recipe for disaster
I whole heartedly agree. Proper form is key. But I will also contend that not everybody has the same idea of "proper form". The NSCA's idea of proper squat form is ridiculous. I've seen some crazy stuff in general. I have yet to understand why anybody would ever exhale while squatting or deadlifting, but yet it's taught that way by "professionals".

As important as form is, so are goals. If the goal is rehab, fantastic, high elbow rows are great. If the goals are maximum strength, I believe there are better ways to do things.

Mods, is there any way we can make this the official strength and conditioning thread and have a separate legit weight loss thread? Serious question.

Stepped on the scale for the first time in a while today. Yikes. I'm not surprised - my eating has been way off.

Firing up MyFitnessPal - need to get back to tracking. Looks like the update wiped the custom macros and calories I set up. I'll be posting in here to keep myself accountable.

Anyone have high protein/ lowish carb suggestions for snacks and lunch? That's where I need some variety.

Well after sometime of not going to the gym and eating out, a lot. I made the decision for myself and for Legacy Prep to get back on track. In the last week I brought myself down from 200lbs down to 194. I'm hoping to continue on the downward. I have upped the workouts by emphasizing cardio, core and flexibility. My diet has changed dramatically as well. Lots of chicken, fish and veggies.

Mods, is there any way we can make this the official strength and conditioning thread and have a separate legit weight loss thread? Serious question.
Not a bad idea.

Well after sometime of not going to the gym and eating out, a lot. I made the decision for myself and for Legacy Prep to get back on track. In the last week I brought myself down from 200lbs down to 194. I'm hoping to continue on the downward. I have upped the workouts by emphasizing cardio, core and flexibility. My diet has changed dramatically as well. Lots of chicken, fish and veggies.
Instead of upping the cardio solely by volume, up it with high intensity intervals (if you're not already doing it). If you need a decent outline, check earlier in this thread. I think I put one of my old workouts in here.

Instead of upping the cardio solely by volume, up it with high intensity intervals (if you're not already doing it). If you need a decent outline, check earlier in this thread. I think I put one of my old workouts in here.
Very good.

To piggyback, if that's OK?, long distance cardio can build cortisol in the body. It's a bad thing.

after LIITA i am definitely in need of getting back in the gym. tomorrow lunch time will be some form of hiit cardio.

after LIITA i am definitely in need of getting back in the gym. tomorrow lunch time will be some form of hiit cardio.

For some motivation...

Same. I started up this morning again at the gym.

Very good.

To piggyback, if that's OK?, long distance cardio can build cortisol in the body. It's a bad thing.
Always okay.

Stepped on the scale for the first time in a while today. Yikes. I'm not surprised - my eating has been way off.

Firing up MyFitnessPal - need to get back to tracking. Looks like the update wiped the custom macros and calories I set up. I'll be posting in here to keep myself accountable.

Anyone have high protein/ lowish carb suggestions for snacks and lunch? That's where I need some variety.
A really good snack I like is Quest bars. My favorite is the double chocolate putting a little peanut butter on top. Hard to beat a simple high protein lunch like a salad with a grilled protein of your choice (chicken, ground turkey breast, 97% lean grass fed beef), sodium free or low sodium black beans, on broccoli slaw or some other form of green. I put a little balsamic vinagerrete also. Another option is one of the forms of protein on Mission low carb tortillas with a little salso, siracha, or pesto for taste.

I was forced to step on a scale two weeks ago. I wasn't happy even though the mirror was telling me what I didn't want to know. Went back on MyFitnessPal and bought a Fitbit flex. They pair well together.

As far as MFP I would say what I get from it is it gives you feedback on calories versus worth. You grab a bag of chips and see what it will "cost you" versus something that would be actually more filling.

As for snacks that are high in protein and low in carbs I think nuts are supposed to be pretty good for you. They can be a bit hard on mature stomachs though.

My BMI has gone from 29.6 to 19.2 since January 2014, so I guess I qualify for this thread. :D

For snacks, I usually have a handful of almonds and walnuts, or an avocado.

I'm a vegetarian, so a typical lunch for me is a salad with a veggie burger on top, or a PB&J sandwich. If you eat meat, a decent lunch would be a burger, no bun, mayo, mustard, no ketchup, lettuce, onion, pickle, Sriracha (for spice on top of the mustard)

For snacks, I usually have a handful of almonds and walnuts, or an avocado.

I'm a vegetarian, so a typical lunch for me is a salad with a veggie burger on top, or a PB&J sandwich. If you eat meat, a decent lunch would be a burger, no bun, mayo, mustard, no ketchup, lettuce, onion, pickle, Sriracha (for spice on top of the mustard)

That's a good idea on the burger. I've been doing chicken breast and veggies most days, but it's nice to switch it up. Also a giant salad w a lot of veggies, black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, and chicken. Just use oil and vinegar.

Stocked up on a bunch of raw nuts as well for snacks, as well as beef jerky.

I love Quest bars great for the course, also check out the OHYeah victory bar, the chocolate chip cookie dough is great.

A really good snack I like is Quest bars. My favorite is the double chocolate putting a little peanut butter on top. Hard to beat a simple high protein lunch like a salad with a grilled protein of your choice (chicken, ground turkey breast, 97% lean grass fed beef), sodium free or low sodium black beans, on broccoli slaw or some other form of green. I put a little balsamic vinagerrete also. Another option is one of the forms of protein on Mission low carb tortillas with a little salso, siracha, or pesto for taste.

ive been eating like a Diabetic for the past 5 months....meat, and lots and lots of veggies. cut out pop, chips, bread, fries and all junk.
I was nearing 350 pounds a year ago....now Im at 235........still big dude but still going to eat this way. having a steak every Friday is bonus.
I also bought a bowflex m5 treadclimber (I call it satan's device) it was hard getting on it. I couldn't even do 2 minutes on it. now Im up to 20 minutes every morning and feel great every time I get off it.

ive been eating like a Diabetic for the past 5 months....meat, and lots and lots of veggies. cut out pop, chips, bread, fries and all junk.
I was nearing 350 pounds a year ago....now Im at 235........still big dude but still going to eat this way. having a steak every Friday is bonus.
I also bought a bowflex m5 treadclimber (I call it satan's device) it was hard getting on it. I couldn't even do 2 minutes on it. now Im up to 20 minutes every morning and feel great every time I get off it.
Shmoly that's some serious good work there. Keep being healthy.

Shmoly that's some serious good work there. Keep being healthy.

thanks man!!!! I forgot to add that I quit smoking too.

I was almost put on heart pills too last year. that woke me up. I told my doctor I didn't wanna go on them (bc once you are on them....you are on them for life). I made all those changes, now my cholesterol is down to healthy levels, my systolic AND diastolic for my blood pressure is now in the "green" area and not in the "Danger" area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back