Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

I checked it out at golf Galaxy today. I could not hit but the head has huge. Very clean and nice looking face. Would like to hit one but I could see replacing a 3deep with it. I mostly hit my 3deep off the tee so can't wait to compare.

I hit the 12 degree with white speeder mini today at Golfsmith vs the XR 3 deep. I have both the 12.5 2 Deep and 5 deep in my bag. I am a huge fan of the deep series. For me, the mini was higher spinning and not as long as the XR deep. In my driver, I always fight high spin if this tells you anything. The mini felt good and when I really hit one well I expected it to be alot longer......best distance on launch monitor for xr was 271 yards and best distance with the mini was 265. could be the fit but I really love the deeps.

Enjoyed the review Jman. Having already hit the mini, I can see where many will thoroughly enjoy this club. Good forgiveness across the face, good distance from the tee, and a well balanced feel.

nice review Jman,definitely something to ponder. Surprisingly my TM Mini is probably my favorite club in my current bag, and i really haven't had any competition for it in the last year. Looking forward to giving this Bertha a whirl and seeing if i can add a little color to my bag.

Really good job bringing a ton of valuable feedback on this one James. As you said, it's not a fix for all ailments but I do believe it could fit into many golfers bags depending on how they prefer to get around a course and what style of course they are playing.

Something of interest I've been thinking about since Sunday's round is about my heel miss. With the smaller head (as compared to driver but essentially the same length for me) I just couldn't bring myself to get further away from the ball at setup. The smaller profile has me wanting to stay a bit closer so thinking I need to choke down just a tad to see if that helps me find the middle (like it did with driver) before shortening the shaft at all.

Even though I have the 12* head I can definitely see where some would be apprehensive to try the 14* off the deck. It's bigger than you're used to when not sitting the ball on a tee.

I do believe that Callaway has a winner on there hands with this one, forgiveness across the face was superb IMO with dispersion being tighter than I expected.

Another great review James. This offering from Calalway is not for me, but I would me lying if I didn't say it didn't intrigue me enough to want to hit it a few times.

I'll look at for this one at the next THP gatherings or events and take a couple of swings with it. That head cover though, man it's pretty enough to make me buy this thing

Thanks all!

You killed another review again. As one who doesn't hit 3w off the deck that often and use it more for a driver replacement on shorter or narrower holes where driver isn't needed this could fit into that slot in the bag.

You killed another review again. As one who doesn't hit 3w off the deck that often and use it more for a driver replacement on shorter or narrower holes where driver isn't needed this could fit into that slot in the bag.

Exactly what I personally am doing, its staying in the bag because it fits my want there, and honestly I bet since the review is done I never hit it off the deck again.

Exactly what I personally am doing, its staying in the bag because it fits my want there, and honestly I bet since the review is done I never hit it off the deck again.

Same here. Dropped 3w so I could carry this. No real business with me hitting 3w off deck so this really fits in and makes sense to me.

I've always found these clubs interesting. I'm really good with my 3 wood off the tee and off the deck, but for some reason, when I get to the driver it's hook city. I really think it's the longer length and the massive head messing with me. My 3 wood usually goes about 245-250 off the tess, so if I could gain another 15-20 yards with a mini driver, it'd so be worth it if I could play it more consistently than my driver.

Solid review Jamesman. I generally hit driver well (on some days, I inexplicably hit it better than 3W :banghead:), so this club really isn't something that immediately calls to me. But I'd sure be interested to hit it and see how it gaps. I could possibly see putting a club like this in at the 16* slot in order to get similar distance to my 3W, but with a bigger head and face, and therefore driver-like MOI and forgiveness off the tee. The only hesitation would be that I do take 3W off the deck from time to time on par 5's, and infrequently as a recovery after a crap tee shot on a par 4, so I'd have to weigh the options as far as off the deck performance. With the loft up though, it might actually be an option off the deck.

This club will make my bag soon. Do not have a 3w, so it make sense -as a driver replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid review Jamesman. I generally hit driver well (on some days, I inexplicably hit it better than 3W :banghead:), so this club really isn't something that immediately calls to me. But I'd sure be interested to hit it and see how it gaps. I could possibly see putting a club like this in at the 16* slot in order to get similar distance to my 3W, but with a bigger head and face, and therefore driver-like MOI and forgiveness off the tee. The only hesitation would be that I do take 3W off the deck from time to time on par 5's, and infrequently as a recovery after a crap tee shot on a par 4, so I'd have to weigh the options as far as off the deck performance. With the loft up though, it might actually be an option off the deck.

I too hated my 3 wood until I changed shafts. I also have a BB 15* and sorta liked it after I bought it. I put a Aldila Tour Green shafts in it and loved it. I'd actually probably get me one of these mini's if we weren't doing custom shafts in August.

I too hated my 3 wood until I changed shafts. I also have a BB 15* and sorta liked it after I bought it. I put a Aldila Tour Green shafts in it and loved it. I'd actually probably get me one of these mini's if we weren't doing custom shafts in August.

Oh don't get me wrong, I LOVE my BB 15*. I fitted into it, cranked up to 16*, and it's been a great option for me with excellent distance and solid accuracy. It's just that I see improvement potential in that slot when it comes to low face and toe hits especially - the simple fact is that the smaller head and shallower face just can't achieve the same forgiveness as a driver in these spots, and I could see the Mini giving solid improvements in these places off the tee.

Hit the 12 and 14 side by side. Seems like they are getting very similar carry, hard to tell with just eyeballing. Definitely a trajectory difference. On windy days I can see the 12 coming in handy getting good rollout. Wet days maximize carry with 14. What's weird is that I wasn't hitting either well at first. Turned it down to -1 / N like I have my driver set up and instantly it looks better to my eye. Gotta be mental and I start hammering them both. Didn't see a launch loss so that was good. I can't wait to get them on a course and see real course translations

Nice review James

At this moment in time I am still thinking about this and a 4w of some description in my bag, but, if I had a proper driver fitting then it might be a tougher decision as I don't hit my 3w off the deck, only my 5w

Going to be an interesting summer figuring out how to finish my bag.... :beat-up:

Callaway rep had a tent set up at my club on Sunday. Hit both the 12 and 14 with the KK and Speeder shafts. "Settled" on the 14 with the Speeder. Consistent, down the middle hits. Two heel shots would still be findable on most golf holes. Losing a slight bit of yardage based of a good driver shot, but if you combine accuracy with distance, the 1.5 wins. Will be my driver replacement club. Thanks, James, for the detailed review! Now, about that grip...

14* Callaway Bing Bertha mini 1.5 with Fubuki Zeta

14* Callaway Bing Bertha mini 1.5 with Fubuki Zeta

I pulled the trigger on ordering a Callaway Big Bertha 1.5 14* mini driver with Fubuki Zeta today. (Along with a Mack Daddy PM-grind 60*). I'd previously hit the mini (in a simulator) about a month ago when a Callaway Rep brought it by. He'd brought it with a 12* head with the KuroKage shaft. The launch was definitely what I'd define as low, but it still got very good distance. For people expecting the 12* head and KuroKage shaft to launch on the same trajectory you're used to seeing other 12* clubs be prepared for a surprise. The combination launches much lower than you might think based on specs and experience with other clubs. Last week I saw him again, and once again looking at it I really liked the look of the head at address, and the way it setup behind a golf ball. I hit my current driver very well both direction and distance wise (and longer than my previous model), so I have primarily considered it as a 3-wood replacement.

On my home course I can reach two of the four par 5s fairly regularly with anything from 6-iron to 3-wood for my second shot depending on how I'm driving, tee placement, course condition, and wind direction. Of the other two I've reached one on rare occasions, and the other I may have rolled a ball on to the front edge once in my life (after a good drive, and a good 3-wood 2nd). I'm a person who likes to play aggressively, and feel I can get a short shot from around the green closer to the hole more often then I would a shot from 100 yards out. I could also see it beeing useful if I play longer courses, or from further back tees on the par 5s I can currently reach. I've had a few fairways on my home course that I sometimes tend to drive the ball though, so I might give it a test on those holes off the tee even though I'm extremely confident with my driver and reluctant not to hit it every opportunity I get.

The dilemma I had was get a KuroKage (which I liked, but had only hit in a simulator.), the Speeder 565 (which I've never hit), or take a chance on another shaft. My mind tells me that the KuroKage could rob me of carry by launching too low, or kick/roll into trouble with the low launch/low spin combo. The Speeder on the other hand I fear might spin too much (from past experience with mid lauch mid spin shafts. (Even though I hit the White Tie great (a high launch and low spin combo) in my driver I didn't want to pay the shaft up-charge for it on an already expensive club).
I'd played with a Fubuki 73 x5ct (one of 4 shafts I swapped in and out of) my old R9 SuperTri, and used to hit that very good too. Based on that, and seeing I could get the Fubuki at no up charge from Callaway, I decided to order the Fubuki Zeta in the mini thinking it should give me similar ball flight to what I had experienced with the driver in the past, the Zeta is said to be fairly high launching with low spin (similar to the White Tie I use in my driver now), and the reports of most of the posters who have said the mini gives them close to driver distances (probably a combination of club-head forgiveness, shaft length, and having shafts that decently match up to their driver shaft specs). I was also able to customize it with a Callaway Chev black/blue multicomp grip (at no up-charge) which should match up nicely with the blue part of the Fubuki shaft. (That will be a new experience for me as well as I've never had a multicomp on my clubs before). :dont-know:
If anyone is interested in hearing my thoughts after I receive and play with it I'd be willing to post again.

(Edit: The club shipped out, and I expect it to arrive in time for my Thursday, Friday, and Saturday rounds I plan to play next week).

Edit #2: Looks like its scheduled to be delivered Friday, so I will not have it for my Thursday and Friday rounds. Saturday I should have some thoughts to share after my round. (Hopefully I'll put all my drives on the par 5's in the fairways so that I can hit this off the deck on those holes).

Last edited:
Been texting with BigTex this evening as he's out on the range right now with a demo. Gonna try and meet him on Sat to hit it before he takes it back. This combined with James and other thoughts so far are making me excited to hit this now.

Very interested but the one question I have is related to what some of you are seeing with dispersion. Is it consistently somewhat more accurate than your current driver? If not, why game it? I pull a 3/4w out on the tee because I need less distance or I want more control. Often the latter so if I get similar control but more distance I'd drop the $300. If it's just a slightly shorter driver, what's the point? Note that I'm not speaking to the high SS folk going for a 575yd par 5 in 2.

Finally had a chance to hit the 14 outside this afternoon. Mixed reactions, some of which is swing related not being able to get out for a while because of the weather. I really want to take it out on the course to see the overall distance since it is hard to tell on the range.

The good: Nice high launch, and the ball just seems to have a nice penetrating flight. Pretty forgiving across the face, with acceptable carry when you hit it toward the toe. Hard to totally tell on the range, but carry longer than my 3Deep and occassionally pushes out close to driver distance. With the higher flight I want to see where the ball ends up compared to my typical shots with the Deep since I do tend to get pretty good roll out with it.

The not so good: Gonna take a little getting used to the sound. I did not notice it as much hitting it indoors, but it was very noticeable on the range. Not as obnoxious as the SLDR Mini which I hated in this regard, but not the solid thwack I like so much with the Deep.

Look forward to demoing this some more and getting Big Time's thoughts on it also.

Great look at address
3b54a18695c3b7a3b9a5dbd178cf3419.jpg

Back