If you change (via adjustments) loft is it he same as....

The one problem I see with Wishon's explanation is that he assumes when you square the face that you will set up with the shaft in the same position at address as well (relative to your body). If you look at an adjustable hosel/adapter you will see that it's not uniform. It will actually look slanted from some angles. That's because as you rotate it around through the settings it's changing multiple things at once (loft, lie, face angle) - Wishon explained this using the wooden head and the angle the shaft is bored into it. If you are able to both square the face and position the shaft at address the same all the time you will see the loft changes he's talking about. But I think that's easier said than done. And by going the square route, you might see the loft changes, but you give up the face angle changes.

I think if you go the square route (which I do) you will have a tendency to position the face the same vertically from the ground which diminishes or negates any changes in loft. I hold the club out in front of me when I take my grip and line the face up square and I don't see any significant/consistent changes from adjustments to a driver adapter. If I sole the club after either increasing/decreasing loft, I do see differences in ball flight from the resulting face angle changes. I'm far better off seeing changes in ball flight from loft when changing between drivers that are different lofts in their neutral setting (while going with the square faced idea/method).

I personally think the changes you are seeing are mostly from the lie angle changing how you set up to the ball and ultimately how that change in position relative to the ball alters how your club approaches and impacts the ball.

here is a good explanation of whats going on in the adjustments of the 915 driver. And in general a good piece of info which I woud think is similar with any modern double adjustment hosel. Whats interesting to me is that while the face angle becomes affected when trying to adjust loft, we can (it seems) however change face angle without affecting loft.

But just like mentioned as for grounding the club....when one decides to utilize the fade/draw feature (which opens closes the face) than of course if the person squares the club at address it also negates any setting again anyway. If you set the club to a open face but then square it up at address its a moot point too no?

Then we have one who may want/need to use both a loft change and a fade/draw bias change. So now how the heck does the person hold the club at address? Then whats strange is the "more draw" setting actually (if grounded) closes the face but when we want to draw the ball we (generally speaking) want an open face relative to target line so why then does the "more draw" setting close it? Perhaps they shouldn't use draw or fade but instead use the terms "more left" or "more right" face angle instead.

So now if a person used the furthest "most draw" setting it would open the face but also would be at the highest loft which of course is not only possibly incorrect but would mean they at address would have to also ......well I just don't know. Perhaps stand on one foot with one eye closed while leaning to the left and forward...lol but I think our best bet is to just use a neutral setting and work on our swings to achieve what we want.

I believe the correct course of action is something like wearing your hat backwards and putting a tee in your pocket. Or something like that...

hqdefault.jpg

Back