Rock26

Reaction score
Handicap
I am going to be in Kure Beach, NC for a week around the 4th of July. I am looking to get at least one round in, more if we can convince the woman. Any suggestions on courses to play? We will be renting clubs so I would prefer a track that has a good rental fleet.

Thanks,

Rocky

I've played a few courses within the Wilmington coastal area. Lockwood Folly near Holden Beach. Castle Bay Golf Course and Belvedere Country Club near Topsail Island. Lockwood Folly and Castle Bay were both solid. I'd avoid Belvedere. There are plenty of decent tracks around Wilmington.

I've played a few courses within the Wilmington coastal area. Lockwood Folly near Holden Beach. Castle Bay Golf Course and Belvedere Country Club near Topsail Island. Lockwood Folly and Castle Bay were both solid. I'd avoid Belvedere. There are plenty of decent tracks around Wilmington.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any tips?

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any tips?

I'm a Wilmington resident so hopefully this will help. I would also avoid Belvedere. Castle Bay is going to be about 45 minutes to an hour away from Kure Beach and you will be dealing with some traffic going in that direction. It's a fun course, I am not sure about rentals though. I have not played Lockwood Folly in 3 years. It was in good shape when I played it. It's a good layout. Not sure how on it is now, but it's an hour drive for you.

The closest courses to you on Kure are Masonboro and Beau Rivage. I just played Masonboro and they are trying to sell the course right now--they are maintaining the greens, but fairways are not in good shape. I would avoid it right now if you can. It's also an incredibly hard course and the proshop is closed. You pay for your round at the bar--first time for that in my experience. I doubt they have rentals. Beau Rivage is a solid course, they maintain it, and it handles rain incredibly well so if we have a big rainstorm around the time you are here, I would play there. Again, not sure on the rentals. I would call and see what they have.

Just outside of Wilmington to the south is Leland. There are three courses there that could suit your needs: Cape Fear National, Magnolia Greens, and Compass Pointe. I would assume all three courses have rentals. Of the courses listed so far, I would guess you are likely to find the nicest rental clubs there. The courses will be about 30 minutes+ drive for you. I have not played Compass Pointe, but it is owned by the same people that own Magnolia Greens. I would expect it to be in good shape along with the other 2 courses. I prefer Cape Fear National over Magnolia Greens as far as the course is concerned. It's a fun and challenging layout. If they have rentals, that would be my suggestion of courses to play.

Hope this helps.

I'm a Wilmington resident so hopefully this will help. I would also avoid Belvedere. Castle Bay is going to be about 45 minutes to an hour away from Kure Beach and you will be dealing with some traffic going in that direction. It's a fun course, I am not sure about rentals though. I have not played Lockwood Folly in 3 years. It was in good shape when I played it. It's a good layout. Not sure how on it is now, but it's an hour drive for you.

The closest courses to you on Kure are Masonboro and Beau Rivage. I just played Masonboro and they are trying to sell the course right now--they are maintaining the greens, but fairways are not in good shape. I would avoid it right now if you can. It's also an incredibly hard course and the proshop is closed. You pay for your round at the bar--first time for that in my experience. I doubt they have rentals. Beau Rivage is a solid course, they maintain it, and it handles rain incredibly well so if we have a big rainstorm around the time you are here, I would play there. Again, not sure on the rentals. I would call and see what they have.

Just outside of Wilmington to the south is Leland. There are three courses there that could suit your needs: Cape Fear National, Magnolia Greens, and Compass Pointe. I would assume all three courses have rentals. Of the courses listed so far, I would guess you are likely to find the nicest rental clubs there. The courses will be about 30 minutes+ drive for you. I have not played Compass Pointe, but it is owned by the same people that own Magnolia Greens. I would expect it to be in good shape along with the other 2 courses. I prefer Cape Fear National over Magnolia Greens as far as the course is concerned. It's a fun and challenging layout. If they have rentals, that would be my suggestion of courses to play.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely, Thank you.

Hope this helps.

I played Beau Rivage today, the heat was crazy but the course was great. Thanks again for the reccomandation.

I played Beau Rivage today, the heat was crazy but the course was great. Thanks again for the reccomandation.

Glad you like the course and yeah it was hot today. Will you be playing any more rounds?

Glad you like the course and yeah it was hot today. Will you be playing any more rounds?

Jeff, is Echo Farms still around? I played there many years ago and enjoyed it.

Jeff, is Echo Farms still around? I played there many years ago and enjoyed it.

It is still around. I haven't played it in a long while but I drove by it last week and it looked to be in good shape. Not sure for how long though, as a proposal has been put forward to have the city buy it to convert it into park space.

I don't think so, I don't have time to fit in another round.

Back