How do you stroke it?

How do you stroke it?

• Total voters

gr8dryv

Big Boned
Reaction score
Handicap
Job & Kids
For as long as I can remember, I've been a straight back/straight through kind of putter. I was reading something on the Ping web site about straight/small arc/big arc. I just got back fro the practice green and tried a small arc stroke and it really showed some promise for me. I tried it with a couple of my putters and the results were the same. I found that it kept the face from de-lofting and the contact felt a lot more solid. My regular straight stroke gives me a feeling of hitting the upper half of the ball a lot of times.
Anyone else make changes to your stroke and see good vs evil?

Last edited:
Would like to think I'm SBST but I've learned that we rarely are even though we think we are. Small arc for me.

small arc. According to my 2 putter fittings, STST is not the way to a good putter stroke.

Small arc here. Using a plane board has helped by putting quite a bit. Helps me get the feel of a repeatable stoke.

At a medium pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small arc here as well.

2 hands up and down through the putting zone, straight line

I try to be as close to SBST as possible, but I'm sure in reality there is a slight arc there.

I rock my shoulders. I don't consciously try to make the putter head or path make any shape.

Big arc. I get too tense otherwise.

I have no idea what kind of arc my putting stroke has but it's definitely not straight back and through (btw I read a recent article that said this was impossible for a human,using a standard putting stance)

I try to do straight but sometimes twitch into what looks like a Billy Mayfair styled "cut putt" that rarely finds the target. meh

Small arc and sometimes a little toe flip

mostly a straight back and thru

I try to be straight back and thru but i know that isn't always the case

Like others I try to be SBST, but I highly doubt that happens very often so I voted for small arc. (I have never actually been fitted to a putter so in reality this is just a guess)

What I had been finding with my SBST stroke is that my back stroke had the head flying out, like pushing away from me. I found a more solid feel by taking the head to the inside today

I thought I was more SBST, but when my coach put the Ping sensor thing on my putter last year, I was a repeatable small arc.

My intent is SBST, but I'm sure it's small arc more than straight. I use the squared Superstroke SS2R grip and left hand low which seems to help keep it my stroke close to SBST.

Slight arc, I think.

wow...for a second I thought this was related to the super glue thread.

I'd like to think it's SBST, and that's what I tell myself to do, but I'm sure there is a small arc considering how I release the putter after contacting the ball.

Small arc here

I'm classifying mine as a small arc I guess.... I take the club slightly outside and cut across the ball a little bit on the way thru. It's almost a reroute on the way thru really.... It goes in. That's all that matters.

Back