The Home Renovation Thread

Wife and I are starting to make a priority list for the new house. The house is in fantastic shape and the sellers painted every room (though not exactly neutral colors) right before selling. The also already replaced all the carpets in the bedrooms right before listing the house (nice neutral carpets). The rest of the house is hardwoods and tile. Here is our list so far

Short term
Install fence/gates on sides of house to separate front/back yard (mainly for the dog)
Run coax and ethernet cable to various rooms
Replace fridge and stove
Run new dryer exhaust to move laundry from basement to laundry room
Pain molding in family and living rooms
Paint several rooms
New window treatments
Install island in kitchen
Mount TVs in family and living room

Longer term
Install fencing around sides of yard (neighbors have fences, but do not provide privacy
Upgrade electrical panel
Master Bath Renovation
Guest Bath Renovation
Finish Basement
I'm in the same boat. We want to covert a large master bath into two smaller baths, install a bathroom in the basement, do some kitchen work... we don't even close until July.

Anyone ever done the granite over existing countertops? My house is a starter home I am going to try and unload soon and full granite I am not sure I will get the money back. I am looking for a cost effective way to get rid of the crap countertops we have now.

Anyone ever done the granite over existing countertops? My house is a starter home I am going to try and unload soon and full granite I am not sure I will get the money back. I am looking for a cost effective way to get rid of the crap countertops we have now.

We have never done it, but I remember seeing it in a house before and it didn't look bad at all.

I've seen it done relatively well, and I have seen it turn out REALLY poorly. I would definitely research the company extensively before doing it, but on a lower end home I think it can work well.

When you say granite over existing counter tops. What do you mean? There are other products out there that you may find spruce it up a bit and are less expensive. Man made products that have a similar look.

Another thing to consider is swapping hardware on the doors and drawers, you'd be surprised how much it changes the look.

I've seen it done relatively well, and I have seen it turn out REALLY poorly. I would definitely research the company extensively before doing it, but on a lower end home I think it can work well.

Yeah thats why I was wondering if anyone had done it. The granite seems so thin that I am just not sure how it would look. I bought the house at 23 and a bachelor so a townhouse that I didnt have to maintain the outside was perfect now with a wife and kid its not right for us. Need a backyard, possibly ranch, and a garage. So the things to upgrade that are left are the countertops and touching up paint.

When you say granite over existing counter tops. What do you mean? There are other products out there that you may find spruce it up a bit and are less expensive. Man made products that have a similar look.

Another thing to consider is swapping hardware on the doors and drawers, you'd be surprised how much it changes the look.

We have changed the pulls on the cabinets, changed the flooring,all new black appliances with glass top stove. I have lived here 9 years so over that time I/we have upgraded almost everything but the countertops.

Yeah thats why I was wondering if anyone had done it. The granite seems so thin that I am just not sure how it would look. I bought the house at 23 and a bachelor so a townhouse that I didnt have to maintain the outside was perfect now with a wife and kid its not right for us. Need a backyard, possibly ranch, and a garage. So the things to upgrade that are left are the countertops and touching up paint.

I have definitely seen it provide a good look. I would also get a quote on granite. People are sometimes shocked at the price they can get a level 1 granite in a small kitchen for. I don't know how small yours is, but it's possible you could get it done with two remnants of a very popular granite for very cheap.

This, a thousand times this. You can bring a dated kitchen up quite a bit with a current set of hardware.

We have changed the pulls on the cabinets, changed the flooring,all new black appliances with glass top stove. I have lived here 9 years so over that time I/we have upgraded almost everything but the countertops.
So your talking placing the granite right over the current counter tops. I've seen it done, but not very well. I've renovated a few homes that have had it do that way and it looks more like a bandaid fix to an ugly situation.

How wood you spruce up this kitchen for cheap. We don't want to go all out because we may put on an addition in the next 5-10 years. The floors and backsplash are actual tile so that isn't going anywhere. Going to get stainless fridge, oven and hood.

Cabinets are laminate. Counters are some sort of laminate or composite

042ea14f7408e63dcbb1a39a0e38e167.jpg

I have definitely seen it provide a good look. I would also get a quote on granite. People are sometimes shocked at the price they can get a level 1 granite in a small kitchen for. I don't know how small yours is, but it's possible you could get it done with two remnants of a very popular granite for very cheap.

This, a thousand times this. You can bring a dated kitchen up quite a bit with a current set of hardware.

I didnt think about the remnants, the kitchen isnt small and has a large island in the middle that brings cost up. The island is like 4'x6'. It is your typical L shapped counter tops with an Island.

TN the granite over your existing coutnertops is a thin shell of granite they literally place over your existing countertops.

Yeah that is exactly it. I think its called granite transformations or something like that.

How wood you spruce up this kitchen for cheap. The floors and backsplash are actual tile so that isn't going anywhere. Going to get stainless fridge, oven and hood.

Is this your new house or the one your moving out of?

How wood you spruce up this kitchen for cheap. The floors and backslash are actual tile so that isn't going anywhere. Going to get stainless fridge, oven and hood.

Are you fixing it up because you are getting ready to sale? If the laminate is in good shape you can actually paint them, which most people think you can't. You can probably find a local "yard sale" group on facebook to get used appliances, preferably stainless, for fairly cheap. The only thing that might be hard to replace used is the hood, but that can be done for $100 anyway.

New house we move into in 23 days! Old one is sold!
Honestly Joe, save your pennies and have it fully renovated. Laminate cabinets, coriander tops, and a poor layout. The bulkheads over the cabinets are robbing usable space, and likely covering up either plumbing, electrical, have or all of the above. My suggestion is paint and decorate for now, and start soaking away the money to do it right one time.

Finally found a contractor to do the four season porch in hour house. It's all sliders right now, which we find pretty awkward. Having windows put in on three walls, and sliders on the way out to the deck. Won't be cheap but we'll actually be able to use the room all year once we don't have a bunch of failing sliders in there.

Honestly Joe, save your pennies and have it fully renovated. Laminate cabinets, coriander tops, and a poor layout. The bulkheads over the cabinets are robbing usable space, and likely covering up either plumbing, electrical, have or all of the above. My suggestion is paint and decorate for now, and start soaking away the money to do it right one time.

Exactly the answer I was looking for, Kevin. Time to show the wife! haha

Ding Ding Ding
New appliances and a microwave over the fridge with some fresh paint and then when you are ready, do it once and do it right.

Stupid cabinet questions time...

What does laminate mean? Is that the stuff that looks like paint but is actually a rubbery(???) type substance that is applied to the cabinets and doors?

Assuming that answer is "Yes"...what are our options for dealing with intermittent doors where that laminate (?) is damaged or starting to peel? Can individual doors be fixed? Replace all the doors in an area? Or is this the beginning stage of needing to replace all the cabinets and island?

Stupid cabinet questions time...

What does laminate mean? Is that the stuff that looks like paint but is actually a rubbery(???) type substance that is applied to the cabinets and doors?

Assuming that answer is "Yes"...what are our options for dealing with intermittent doors where that laminate (?) is damaged or starting to peel? Can individual doors be fixed? Replace all the doors in an area? Or is this the beginning stage of needing to replace all the cabinets and island?
Laminate is anything that is glues to a sub straight. So in cabinetry a laminate is typically a plastic like product that is glued over a particle board. It's a bit different than a veneer, where as veneers are a very thin wood substance that is glued and pressed onto a sub strait. Laminate counter tops are thinks like Formica, which was a big brand name back a number of years ago.

No stupid questions buddy, ask away and if I don't know I will find out.

43ba9adab621399ec3d91c8bb965d549.jpg

That's laminate on a countertop, which is the same you'd see on a cabinet.

When it starts to peel, it's honestly about the time you'd want to replace it. I don't think they're much worth saving. If it's just on the door though, you could look into just replacing those but then you run into matching issues etc.

A lot of time those soffits don't actually have any HVAC or plumbing running through them, it's not hard to check just cut out a tiny test hole, lol or a contractor can probably figure it out if they check from the attic. However they are a major pita and really filthy to get down and you'd need to budget extra $$$ for the drywall repairs after. The best thing is you can greatly enhance storage by using full cabinets up to the ceiling, which is important in a small kitchen. If you have an old florescent light box you can have it textured and add LED's and crown molding without too much effort.

mine during beginning reno and after removal/remodel (still need to do travertine backsplash):

rDsOPL4.jpg
2KxMvmu.jpg

E6AA72P.jpg

43ba9adab621399ec3d91c8bb965d549.jpg

That's laminate on a countertop, which is the same you'd see on a cabinet.

When it starts to peel, it's honestly about the time you'd want to replace it. I don't think they're much worth saving. If it's just on the door though, you could look into just replacing those but then you run into matching issues etc.
Very true Wardy, matching is damn near impossible due to sun fading and other environment changes to the material over time. If the corners are peeling or what ever is repairable, but it's really just a temporary fix, cabinet doors are the most expensive part of the entire cabinet. Replacing doors is ok if it's one or two, but when you get into a bunch of them, it may be time for a bigger investment.

A lot of time those soffits don't actually have any HVAC or plumbing running through them, it's not hard to check just cut out a tiny test hole, lol or a contractor can probably figure it out if they check from the attic. However they are a major pita and really filthy to get down and you'd need to budget extra $$$ for the drywall repairs after. The best thing is you can greatly enhance storage by using full cabinets up to the ceiling, which is important in a small kitchen. If you have an old florescent light box you can have it textured and add LED's and crown molding without too much effort.

mine during beginning reno and after removal/remodel (still need to do travertine backsplash):

rDsOPL4.jpg
2KxMvmu.jpg

E6AA72P.jpg
Nice job dude. Removing the soffits made a big difference.

Back