Rory McIlroy signing with TaylorMade?

I totally agree with this. Obviously my WITB shows my love for Taylormade but that doesn't factor into why I agree with this. A player of Rory McIlroy's caliber and status can basically pick whatever he wants to play with. I'm sure if his preference was Titleist, Callaway, PXG, Ping etc... he would've been able to grab a huge endorsement deal with any of them. He probably found what he liked and approached Taylormade and said, "I like your clubs, how much do you want to pay me?"

This is not always the case. With his apparel contract being what it is, some companies prefer not to go into high dollar deals like that. Spieth was in a similar situation.

Huge singing by TM. Their stable is redonkulous at the moment

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

This is not always the case. With his apparel contract being what it is, some companies prefer not to go into high dollar deals like that. Spieth was in a similar situation.

unless you have a product that stands out on TV, it's tough to hand out 7 figures to someone that doesn't wear your logo or use your bag.

Is this signing going to really make any difference? TaylorMade is dominating tour wins yet Callaway has owned driver sales for months since the Epic released.

I'm really baffled as to how people see this as mediocre news.

Maybe it was because he wasn't being paid but it seemed like huge news when he started playing other equipment earlier .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would counter and say that the average weekend warrior isn't hanging out online looking at reading golf news.

~Rock

Agree. They may watch the majors and some tournaments like The Players or Waste Management

Yes but I'm pretty sure they have Facebook or Twitter and are likely seeing it in their feeds.

Would these be the same golfers that have been mentioned on here thinking that Spieth plays UA or AT&T clubs vice Titleist?

This is what I meant when I said that he probably found what he liked and approached Taylormade. I mean I guess it could be the other way around and he said Taylormade will pay me the most so I'll be willing to play their equipment... Obviously I don't know his motivation, I guess I hope that he chose what he feels is best for his game rather than who will pay him the most.

Agree. They may watch the majors and some tournaments like The Players or Waste Management

Would these be the same golfers that have been mentioned on here thinking that Spieth plays UA or AT&T clubs vice Titleist?

Titleist only features their players in ball ads and commercials. I mean how many commercials have you seen for the 917 woods or AP series irons?

Is this signing going to really make any difference? TaylorMade is dominating tour wins yet Callaway has owned driver sales for months since the Epic released.

might make them more attractive to a potential buyer I guess.

might make them more attractive to a potential buyer I guess.

That's a very legitimate point I had not considered.

Maybe it was because he wasn't being paid but it seemed like huge news when he started playing other equipment earlier .

Because it's TM and they pay all their players yet he and several Nike staffers have used TM gear with no contracts starting at Ryder Cup and Rory swapped back the woods at Augusta. It's all brand dependent on what's big news

Titleist only features their players in ball ads and commercials. I mean how many commercials have you seen for the 917 woods or AP series irons?

Either the avg golfer knows cares what 3w Stenson is playing or as being discussed here or the avg golfer is clueless because they think Spieth plays UA or AT&T...the avg golfer can't be both

Because it's TM and they pay all their players yet he and several Nike staffers have used TM gear with no contracts starting at Ryder Cup and Rory swapped back the woods at Augusta. It's all brand dependent on what's big news

I don't think this is big news because it's Taylormade, I think it is big news because it is Rory McIlroy and he just happened to choose Taylormade. It would've been big news regardless of who he chose to sign with. Actually, if he would've signed with a company like Ping or PXG it would've been massive news because they don't really have superstars.

On a side note, golf.com is now reporting the deal is eminent and should be announced this week.

I see the occasional 917 driver commercial. I'm sure it has Adam Scott in it. But really, it's like 99% ball commercials, and 1% everything else.

~Rock

I have seen print ads from Titleist with Jordan and the 716 AP2s. The average consumer doesn't know that Jordan played those irons for a tournament then put them on the curb for the 714s.

It's mind boggling how Rory switching drivers really isn't big but Joe Casual Golfer will find it a big story that Henrick Stenson switched 3 woods.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You can't say Callaway or PXG wouldn't have paid him. Callaway gave him first dibs on their new prototype irons before their staffers, so we're obviously keen to sign him. I'm sure he wasn't playing those clubs for free either.

I do wonder if he would have signed with Callaway instead would people still be saying it's for the money. I think the fact Callaway interact very well with their customers, are very integrated with THP (events etc) and obviously make good equipment brings out the unintentional bias in people here.

I don't think this is big news because it's Taylormade, I think it is big news because it is Rory McIlroy and he just happened to choose Taylormade. It would've been big news regardless of who he chose to sign with. Actually, if he would've signed with a company like Ping or PXG it would've been massive news because they don't really have superstars.

I'm not denying it's big news and agree. I was replying to Jrod saying it's being perceived by some as mediocre because it's TM. If it was some other companies it would be seen big by most

Yah I'm not a big tin foil hat guy but the about face by the general consensus is a little odd.

Not really sure how having the three biggest names on tour currently in your stable could ever been seen as a bad thing.

(You could probably substitute Spieth for Day but you get the point)

Yah I'm not a big tin foil hat guy but the about face by the general consensus is a little odd.

Not really sure how having the three biggest names on tour currently in your stable could ever been seen as a bad thing.

(You could probably substitute Spieth for Day but you get the point)

I'm picking up what you are putting down

It's mind boggling how Rory switching drivers really isn't big but Joe Casual Golfer will find it a big story that Henrick Stenson switched 3 woods.

I think the difference being is that Stenson had been playing that same club for years whereas Rory is now on his second driver of the 2017 season.

You can't say Callaway or PXG wouldn't have paid him. Callaway gave him first dibs on their new prototype irons before their staffers, so we're obviously keen to sign him. I'm sure he wasn't playing those clubs for free either.

I do wonder if he would have signed with Callaway instead would people still be saying it's for the money. I think the fact Callaway interact very well with their customers, are very integrated with THP (events etc) and obviously make good equipment brings out the unintentional bias in people here.

If he signed with Callaway it would not have been about the money, because Callaway simply doesnt pay what other OEMs will. Phil isnt even the highest paid player on Callaway staff.

I get that people want to throw out the bias card but its simply a matter of economics. If Rory plays the TM driver sans contract it means he is playing the best equipment for him. If he signs a deal with TM it looks like he's playing for cash plain and simple.

I think the difference being is that Stenson had been playing that same club for years whereas Rory is now on his second driver of the 2017 season.

I've voiced my opinion on the matter and nothing will change it. The market I see and deal with doesn't have a clue what Henrick Stenson plays and to be honest probably doesn't care what Rory plays either or knows what he plays in my honest opinion. Again I'm talking about Casual Joe Golfer. The only thing they will notice if anything at all is that his driver has white on it now so it must be Taylormade.

I've voiced my opinion on the matter and nothing will change it. The market I see and deal with doesn't have a clue what Henrick Stenson plays and to be honesty probably doesn't care what Rory plays either or knows what he plays in my honest opinion. Again I'm talking about Casual Joe Golfer. The only thing they will notice if anything at all is that his driver has white on it now so it must be Taylormade.

The Stenson 3 wood swap was only a big deal on Internet forums. You are right casual fans had no clue. Gearheads did pay attention.

Back