is titleist falling a tad behind most others in driver distance

In relation to this thread I been thinking about THP radio interview with Titleist J. Talge. He basically talks straight up (and paraphrasing here) about how they are not really concerned with getting caught up in any distance hype or wars competition for squeezing every last couple/few yards possible. But are more focused on the fit/setup process towards a driver that works most efficiently and also as such is their target consumer. Basically implying they simply do not take great importance on being the absolute longest but instead take pride in wanting to be the best for the avid and educated player and sort of place themselves on a platform in that sense.

So with that...yes, they may actually be on the shorter side as for outright distance competitions and comparisons. But as said thats not at all to mean they are not capable and outright short. Those would be entirely different suggestions and were never something I meant when starting this thread. Surely they would have to be capable of distance or they wouldn't sell.

Now, we can all understand hitting more efficiently more often and obtaining more efficient results on less than great strikes more often can certainly outweigh being the absolute longest on perfect hits but are they somehow better than all else if/when/after total fit/set up process? Who really knows. I would imagine that's up to the player and the fit process. But id assume the top makers would/could all basically satisfy similar efficient driving after proper fit and setup.

But you have to ask (as amateurs) who for the most part do desire and also often enough need as much distance possible, if all else were equal among 2, or 3or 4 fitted drivers who wouldn't also then take any extra yards in addition? Not everyone would take that nor feel its any big deal or importance (and I could understand that) but I think most would. I don't suffer for distance. Im not very long by any stretch but when my driver swing is working its certainly long enough and often longer relative to most weekend warriors yet I would still take any amount of extra yards if it were at my disposal. I wouldn't take them via sacrificing efficiency and dispersion, but if given all else is fairy equal among different drivers I will take the one (if I liked the club) that also offered any extra yards too whatever amount that is. Why wouldn't or shouldn't I?

But getting fit for a river is not easily done. At least not easily done very efficiently. I mean one needs good places to do it, a good option of shafts, a good fitter, and also the money. I mean sure we can all walk into a Dicks, golf galaxy, whatever and hit different clubs and try them with whatever different shafts they have available. and can also have some assistance doing so. But often it takes more than that to truly be fit. Often different shafts and head degrees are not always available to hit and also the people working are not true fitters and not all fitters are alike either. And also our inconsistent swings work better/worse some days and times vs others. And when one has little intent to also pay top dollar for a new driver it makes it even harder to fit it properly. It can imo be quite the process to truly get really properly fit. It can really be a needle in a haystack.

Fitting doesn't have to cost anything.

Exactly. Titleist has their Titleist Thurdsays that are absolutely free and where I got fit for my driver, plus any other demo days they have as well as all the other OEMs and in my experiences the large majority of sales reps and their demo day reps are pretty good at the fitting process. Most places here take reservations during demo days so that someone can get dedicated time with the rep to go thru the fitting process

Exactly. Titleist has their Titleist Thurdsays that are absolutely free and where I got fit for my driver, plus any other demo days they have as well as all the other OEMs and in my experiences the large majority of sales reps and their demo day reps are pretty good at the fitting process. Most places here take reservations during demo days so that someone can get dedicated time with the rep to go thru the fitting process

Titleist Thursday is a great idea. It works on many levels for the company and let's players get fit in a more comfortable, no-pressure environment IMO. Big fan that they have continued down this path.

Id contend that Titleist has fallen behind the other manufacturers in all areas, not just driver distance.

Titleist Thursday is a great idea. It works on many levels for the company and let's players get fit in a more comfortable, no-pressure environment IMO. Big fan that they have continued down this path.

I agree. I've seen more people getting fit at these than most demo days from a few brands. At the couple ranges I go to where demo days are held regularly the popular ones are ping, callaway and TaylorMade and Titleist. Also helps the Reis for these companies are good too.

I hope Titleist stays with the system with the new iron release in the fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the the interview, black ap1 special release and the copper vokeys i am excited to see what Titleist has up there sleeve.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I dont really understand how. How is one suppose to go to a store or a fitter, pro shop, etc and get extensively fit for a number of different drivers without costing you and then also go outside to look for a better price. Not really my style to do that but hey clubs are expensive.

I dont really understand how. How is one suppose to go to a store or a fitter, pro shop, etc and get extensively fit for a number of different drivers without costing you and then also go outside to look for a better price. Not really my style to do that but hey clubs are expensive.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's only been advertised for months now.

Find a multivendor demo day and compare.

It's only been advertised for months now.
Even if he wants to be fit for other company OEMs. I'm sure they have demo days where he's at. They will fit all day long too.

Every brand has full fittings available. You can see THP tv spots with brands like titleist, callaway, wilson and all of the others and all are done across the country.

Find a multivendor demo day and compare.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with the last couple demo days I've gone to - they're doing much more of what I'd call "fitting" - launch monitors, spending time with people rather than just handing them clubs.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with the last couple demo days I've gone to - they're doing much more of what I'd call "fitting" - launch monitors, spending time with people rather than just handing them clubs.

Unless it's a busy demo day it's the same around here with whoever wants one gets a fitting. If it's busy and there are appointments then anyone without one is subject to availability of the rep...most only have 1 rep at the normal demo days as the reps are usually spread across the area on same days. I've yet to see anyone wanting a fitting at one not get it

I actually just paid for a fiting (or a re-fitting) for my exoistiong clubs which I was firrted for 3/4 years ago. well< I woulkdnt say fitted to a huge extent but was told (via the fitting) what length , lie, and flex to get. I want to see if I was still in the ballpark and turns out that not all but a bunch of my irons had to be bent a degree. Then also did my woods and was determined my current driver shaft not the best fit for me. I still am suggested stiff, but one with a mid kick (not low/mid as I have now) and also suggested a little higher torque. So I could use a new shaft but with the expense I am now just figuring to get into a new driver instead. I do look up the shafts offered with given drivers and at least (if the info is provided) have some educated idea which shaft to preferably try with it. Its not a perfect thing but at least I got some education about what I more require and not just winging it aimlessly.

Ive lately been to hit a number of drivers at a GG and two dicks stores. Of course not all the shaft and degree options I desire to try are available. Finding manufacturer club fiting demo days are not as easy as it sounds. You have to be able to go on those exact days and also be able to travel some.. So while the money may not be a great concern for fitting/demo days, the process is not so easy as it sounds and then trying to do this with more than one manufacturer makes it even more a task. What can ya do? it is what it is. So I do the best I can, get some decent info about my swing I needed just as I did 3/4 years ago. Hit what/when I can, decide what I like best while comparing them on the same sims and also what feels and good too and then possibly decide to make the purchase. Not perfect but at least its got some education about my fit and is not just winging it with no sense to anything.

Back