Hitting another golfers ball which improved his lie, what is proper?

Daddio

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A couple days ago I was playing a friendly casual round with my new SIL and also getting to know his dad a little better too. My 3W second shot on a par 5 hit smashed directly into his dad's ball as it came down (he was laying 2 about 6 feet in the right rough). My ball kicked back about 10 yards and also further out into the right rough. Horribly thick but at least not OB. His ball was propelled forward a few yards and ended up about 10 feet out in the fairway. I figured I had to play my ball where it ended up and did so, but since we were 100% playing for fun I had no qualms when he asked to play his 3rd from it's new lie in the fairway. Really there was no way to replace his ball exactly anyway since we were 200 yards from the collision, but in an official situation would that be the proper ruling?

He did what I would do in a casual round. But the proper ruling would be to move it back as close to it's original place as you can.

He did what I would do in a casual round. But the proper ruling would be to move it back as close to it's original place as you can.
This is what I would assume based on the rules. Go back to where you thought his ball was and drop.

That's what I thought and I probably should've told him the official rules since he's a relatively new golfer (3 years). It might not be cool if something similar happened to him in his league and he misunderstood the rule. I'll let him know. I played my ball correctly right?

That's what I thought and I probably should've told him the official rules since he's a relatively new golfer (3 years). It might not be cool if something similar happened to him in his league and he misunderstood the rule. I'll let him know. I played my ball correctly right?
Yeah your ball would be played where it lies.

Yes, the way I understand the rules, once his ball is "at rest" it part of the course. No different than if you hit a rock.

Back