Problems hitting new Bio Cell irons

DufferRob

Reaction score
I am having issues with my new Bio Cell irons. Pushing the balls left, right, thin, fat, a bit of everything bad, really. Especially hooking right which I never did with my previous set. I had no significant issues with my previous irons, inexpensive Palm Springs Visa. Now, I wasn't a pro by any stretch but, never as horrible as I hit these new irons.

The differences between the old and new are, 1/2-5/8" longer on the Bio's as well as regular flex shafts. The Visa's were stiff flex, standard length. Both use the same grips, mid-sized Pure I installed.

When I go back to the old irons, no problems. I know a fitting would be beneficial but, at this point, I am not sure what can be done other than a shaft change.

No, I did not swing these prior to purchase. I bought them based on reviews and that they were on close-out at a good price. I know, not the wisest way to buy but I figured if I was decent with my previous, inexpensive set then these "better" irons should be as good or better.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Is it just trying to learn new clubs? I have considered cutting them down to match my other irons but, if they do not work out, it would make a sale more difficult.

Thanks, Rob

My suggestion would be range and try gripping down. I wouldnt cut them yet.

Combination of new clubs, different length, and possibly different lie angle as well?

I know I always struggle with new clubs for a couple rounds at least.

Might just be a matter of taking them in somewhere and getting them fit properly to you.

I'm sure others will chime in, but choke down on the grips to a length your used to playing.
Maybe the flex difference is messing with you?

Good luck.

One thing to look at is shaft weight. I'm almost positive the stock shaft in the bio cell irons is 85grams which is the same as the speed blades which I game. When first making the change it look me a few range sessions to finally start making solid contact. And I'm talkin large buckets each session. Probably at least 100 crappy swings before I learned to slow the swing down and not overswing. Could be something similar to your issues

Agree with the others - sounds like an adjustment period, that's all. Give it at least a few more buckets before doing anything drastic.

I did try choking down with not any luck.

Michigan, what would a too weak shaft produce?

PhillyV, could you explain what I would be looking for in regards to shaft weight?

Thanks guys!

I have similar issues with most of the new sets...I just try to go to a driving range and swing as much as can to get a comfort level with the new equipment...if nothing gets better, I go to a fitter and see if anything can or needs to be changed

I would have the lie angle checked. Come up to Folsom and go to the callaway fitting center the guys are cool. They can check the lies and bend them for you. They have reasonable prices. Or go to Hagen oaks, but good luck getting a quick appt there.

ken

Get them custom fit and you will be good to go.

Hit the range. Swing one club (7 or 8 iron would be my personal choice) until you figure out what is going on. Start with half swing or punch shots, then gradually get to full swing.
After you have that swing consistent, then grab the other irons, and swing easy, as if you were hitting 3/4 of the usual distance.

If that doesn't work, throw the clubs in a lake and go back to your old clubs (I jest, but sometimes just thinking about that makes me feel better).

Ken, thanks for the suggestion. I have seen it while rolling by on the fwy.

Well, much better today. They are definitely more demanding to hit than what I was using. Like a couple of you mentioned, I tried not to swing so hard and to have a nice smooth tempo. Big help there. I also kept my back leg from moving/straightening during the back swing. Big help there as well.

So going to keep at it and maybe head up the hwy to the Callaway center. Should be informational at a minimum. No lakes around Spivey, so they are safe. For now...:D

Thanks again guys. Valuable information all around.

Go to Haggin Oaks and ask for a fitting and bring both sets of clubs. It's gonna cost you $50 or so I think - but probably worth it. Just go in there and ask. At least you'll be hitting outside.

I went from very light (75-85 gram), Regular flex shafts to a heavier (25-30 grams more) Stiff and it has made all the difference as far as ball striking. My big miss was a push fade. Since I've moved into the different shafts, no more big miss. I also don't hit anywhere near as fat as I used too.

I am having issues with my new Bio Cell irons. Pushing the balls left, right, thin, fat, a bit of everything bad, really. Especially hooking right which I never did with my previous set. I had no significant issues with my previous irons, inexpensive Palm Springs Visa. Now, I wasn't a pro by any stretch but, never as horrible as I hit these new irons.

The differences between the old and new are, 1/2-5/8" longer on the Bio's as well as regular flex shafts. The Visa's were stiff flex, standard length. Both use the same grips, mid-sized Pure I installed.

When I go back to the old irons, no problems. I know a fitting would be beneficial but, at this point, I am not sure what can be done other than a shaft change.

No, I did not swing these prior to purchase. I bought them based on reviews and that they were on close-out at a good price. I know, not the wisest way to buy but I figured if I was decent with my previous, inexpensive set then these "better" irons should be as good or better.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Is it just trying to learn new clubs? I have considered cutting them down to match my other irons but, if they do not work out, it would make a sale more difficult.

Thanks, Rob

I believe that you just answered your own question.

I believe that you just answered your own question.

I hear ya. I have tried other irons, friends, and didn't kill it with those, either. Based on my less than stellar swing, I would likely have to "try" them for weeks:D

Last edited:
You'll be fine. Transitions with new irons is common for us non god-like players. One responder mentioned weight, which I've found leads to many of the problems you list as the angle of the shaft to hands is different from your previous irons, basically causing you to cast a bit too much. Dimes to dollars that if you hit on a lie mat, you would find you are bottoming out before the ball and need to correct that. It could be other things too but play them for a bit longer and you wil adapt. Just try not do do any quick fixes that might help in the short-term but hurt your swing in the long-term/

Good luck!

I have to go along with the "give it a while" crowd. It does take a while to get used to different weight, balance, flex characteristics, etc. I find that the clubs I get along with right off the bat are the ones that feel and swing much like what I already have and am used to. Just food for thought, if it turns out they just don't work, then ditch em. So many solid choices out there nowadays!

I picked up the Bio Cell irons a couple months ago as well. I came from Nike Coverts, so the lofts were weaker, and the shafts were shorter and lighter (all which were reasons why I switched), and it definitely took some time. I started out grinding them at the driving range though, since I was working alot and didn't have time to play a round. Probably hit 500 balls through them (over a month+) before I actually got to the course, and by then, they felt more natural.
Two days ago, I dropped one 10 ft from the cup on a par 3 with my 5 iron, WOO HOO! It was one of those perfect shots that keeps us coming back..
So just keep practicing man, you'll get it!
If you like, think of it this way...The "better" irons are showing you and will help you with the bad habits you developed from the "cheap" irons! ;)

I picked up the Bio Cell irons a couple months ago as well. I came from Nike Coverts, so the lofts were weaker, and the shafts were shorter and lighter (all which were reasons why I switched), and it definitely took some time. I started out grinding them at the driving range though, since I was working alot and didn't have time to play a round. Probably hit 500 balls through them (over a month+) before I actually got to the course, and by then, they felt more natural.
Two days ago, I dropped one 10 ft from the cup on a par 3 with my 5 iron, WOO HOO! It was one of those perfect shots that keeps us coming back..
So just keep practicing man, you'll get it!
If you like, think of it this way...The "better" irons are showing you and will help you with the bad habits you developed from the "cheap" irons! ;)

They are coming around I think. They just take a "better" swing than my previous set. I can definitely see the potential when I make a good swing. Unfortunately I had a minor surgery on my left hand so I am out of commission for a few weeks:bad:

They are coming around I think. They just take a "better" swing than my previous set. I can definitely see the potential when I make a good swing. Unfortunately I had a minor surgery on my left hand so I am out of commission for a few weeks:bad:
That sucks! Hope you recover quick!

I am a new "bio cell iron" owner as well. Truthfully, i didn't find them to hard to hit but they are slightly different from my XR's. I am playing pretty well with them. I was playing well with my XR's but the last few outings i wasn't accurate at all. As soon as i put the bio's in the bag i was back. different strokes for diff folks.

Back