Would you play Chambers Bay?

There's no chance I'd pay anything over $50 for that abortion of a course. That's a strong sentiment but it's my honest opinion.

So $25 million to build, they've lost money every year they've been open, almost a million last year, and you think this course overnight is gonna become a cash cow now based on what most people saw on TV this last weekend? The local people can't even play it for less than $150. I think if anything, what the USGA did to the course that was put on TV probably won't bring in many cows for a long long time. And even if and when the cows come, they have a lot of feed to pay for now.

Yes. I do.

Having a U.S. Open tag on a course is incredibly valuable. As many have noted in this thread, there is genuine interest to play courses that have hosted majors.

Chambers Bay is now set to make some serious money.

I would play without a shadow of a doubt but I'd have to wait for a good deal to come along tbh. $250 is steep. In England you can play some of the best links courses for under $100 with some of the deals that come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$100 American Dollars or Pounds?

When I was in Northern Ireland, most courses were around 75 Pounds. Royal County Down was significantly more -- and worth it.

$100 American Dollars or Pounds?

When I was in Northern Ireland, most courses were around 75 Pounds. Royal County Down was significantly more -- and worth it.

Yes it may be under £100.
There's this 2 Fore 1 offer where two players play for the price of 1 fee. It's pretty good.

Yes it may be under £100.
There's this 2 Fore 1 offer where two players play for the price of 1 fee. It's pretty good.

That is really good.

Yes. I do.

Having a U.S. Open tag on a course is incredibly valuable. As many have noted in this thread, there is genuine interest to play courses that have hosted majors.

Agreed

I would love to play Chambers Bay! I really don't have problem teeing it up on any course.

Yes. I do.

Hope so, if only the taxpayers could get their money back too on the deal.

Hope so, if only the taxpayers could get their money back too on the deal.

Ha - I'm sure the course and local government will get right on that!

So $25 million to build, they've lost money every year they've been open, almost a million last year, and you think this course overnight is gonna become a cash cow now based on what most people saw on TV this last weekend? The local people can't even play it for less than $150. I think if anything, what the USGA did to the course that was put on TV probably won't bring in many cows for a long long time. And even if and when the cows come, they have a lot of feed to pay for now.

I agree, I don't think the course will be a cash cow, however, I suspect it can become a break even enterprise with its new found notoriety. From the moment it became a project, the goal was to host a US Open, a goal it achieved in record time. I would guess that hosting a US Open has a positive impact on the area's economy, a compensating factor.. Additionally, I understand that the USGA funds much of the course prep. Also, just how much maintenance does that course require being fundamentally fescue. (Want a fairway, just cut the grass). I also agree that the difficulty and condition displayed this past weekend, did the venue no favors with the average Joe golfer.

I agree, I don't think the course will be a cash cow, however, I suspect it can become a break even enterprise with its new found notoriety. From the moment it became a project, the goal was to host a US Open, a goal it achieved in record time. I would guess that hosting a US Open has a positive impact on the area's economy, a compensating factor.. Additionally, I understand that the USGA funds much of the course prep. Also, just how much maintenance does that course require being fundamentally fescue. (Want a fairway, just cut the grass). I also agree that the difficulty and condition displayed this past weekend, did the venue no favors with the average Joe golfer.
It is somewhat comical that most of us think that all you have to do it "cut the grass." there is so much more that goes into it.

I presume that the course manages its conditions in a way that allows it to have heavy enough traffic to do more than break even.

It is somewhat comical that most of us think that all you have to do it "cut the grass." there is so much more that goes into it.

I presume that the course manages its conditions in a way that allows it to have heavy enough traffic to do more than break even.

I admit that I am no authority and know very little about golf course maintenance, but doesn't the type of grass used impact maintenance costs. Would not the type of course or the course design have an impact as well. It sure didn't look like they were cutting the roughs. Would the maintenance cost of a links course be less than that of a Parkland.

Wowzers. I just checked their website and it would cost $275 plus 14.4% taxes/fees to play there from July-August...count me out boys.
That's enough to golf 3-4 times up at Whistler.

Agree, my Chambers rounds in the future will only be in the winter.

I would play it, no question. How often does the typical golfer get to play a venue that has hosted a major?

To the original question:

It wouldn't be much fun for me at this point in my life. The physical demands of walking all those elevation changes would just be too much for my ole abused body. I missed the boat when it first opened, I had enough game and was strong enough to enjoy it then but no, I wouldn't play Chambers Bay now.

Never. I spent my weekend there and it was terrible for the spectators and terrible for the players. They're not getting a dime more from me..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

For the chance to be able to say i played there yes i would gladly pay that to play it.

I will be down in the area this August and we are kicking around the idea of playing Chamber's Bay. I would be all about this if it works out. However, we will probably play a twilight weekday rate to make it a little more affordable.

I would. Why not? Who wouldnt want to play on a course that hosted a major?

What is Chambers charging for a green fee these days? No way I'd pay more than $125 until it's green again.

In my opinion (of someone who has played it 100+ times) the course plays way better when it is brown and a little baked out. Remember it is a links style course so it really is never supposed to be a lush green. I won't play it right now and really haven't in the last year except twice because the greens are junk. The greens were in really good shape (slowish but good condition) until the spring of 2013 when they aerated the greens. When the greens heeled all the core holes had Poa growing out of them and its been a plinko board ever since.

When the course is green and the ball doesn't roll you get balls hanging on the slopes around the greens and you have no chance to make a putt down those slopes. It's a different way to play golf in North America and take us amateur golfers 10+ rounds to see and start trusting the slopes.

If anyone plans to play the course for the 1st time I highly recommend taking at least a fore caddie for the group if not your own caddie. I've read some posts were people are saying perfectly positioned shots are finding there way to the bunkers/waste area. I will argue it wasn't a perfectly positioned shot if it ended up in a bunker. The course has many slopes on it that you need to play away from at time, just like you would a water hazard on a typical course. If you are hitting a drive on a par 4 or laying up on a par 5 you may not want to blast a shot down as far as you can because what looks like a 70 yard wide fairway is really only 30 yards wide as the 40 yards on the right slopes to a bunker. If you were to lay the ball back 20 yards you can use the entire 70 yards. There are so many things you won't see in a yardage book or a SkyCaddie.

It is really a course that you need to totally adjust your game and typical style you use to play a parkland course. After having played Chambers Bay 110+ times now I can tell you I have a lot more types of shots in my bag and my imagination on the course that has translated to better golf on any course I play now.

I would definitely want to play it, just because the US Open was played there. The green conditions this past weekend reminded me of playing in the midwest in late Fall or early Spring when most courses aerate their greens. They're usually greenish brown and bumpy anyway. It looks like a wonderful and scenic course, and I LOVE the Pacific Northwest.

Absolutely I would play it. That course looks like a blast.

OK, let me ask, what is it about playing a course that hosted a major, especially the Open as opposed to the PGA, that makes it worth the fee that usually accompanies it. It's got to be more than bragging rights, just to say one played it. Also, doesn't the guy that is always talking about the courses they played sometimes annoy you.

Back