Do I really need extra stiff shafts?

podunker

Reaction score
Handicap
I just purchased a new to me Titleist 913D2 Driver that came with a stiff flex 60 gram RIP Phenom Aldila. I just got the head adjusted the way i like it, which is A2, a little open face. I tried several spots, but this setup gave the straightest and farthest ball flight. A slight draw usually.

Then as I was playing a round today with my buddies, we started discussing shaft flex and they said I should be using an extra stiff shaft. I have never had my swing speed really measured that I can remember. Just had irons fitted, and they gave me stiff flex steel shafts. So I figured that's what I needed in everything. Well, after doing some research, looks like I might just need extra stiff in my Driver. I hit my 8 iron about 155 yards on average, to give you an idea of my swing speed. My guess is it's around 120.

Anyhow, one of my friends said he had two extra stiff shafts for me to try that he used with his old 909 and 910 drivers. So he gave them both to me, since he no longer has a Titleist driver. The two shafts he gave me are:

UST Proforce V2, at 76 grams, and a Mitsubishi Diamana "ahina at 72 grams. They both have the sure fit on them already.

So I was just curious if anyone knows anything about either shaft? And also if you thought it would really make a difference in driving distance or not. Funny thing is, I have always used stiff shafts in all my drivers. Guess I should get fitted, but not likely to happen any time soon. I am going to take them out and try them in a few days, but wanted opinions on them like what characteristics I should be looking for with them.

Also, with these extra stiff shafts, am I going to have to go through the process of getting a different setting for the head. Didn't know if these shafts might need a little more loft or less loft etc. Thanks in advance

If you're hitting an 8 iron 155, your swing speed is going to be closer to 100-105. Well within the range for standard stiff.

Shaft flex has more to do with how you load the shaft than SS and unless you are hitting the ball very poorly then your SS is not in the 120 range. My SS is in the 110-112 range with my driver and with a loft of 40 degrees my 8i distance is 165.

I have a SS around 100mph and hit my iron around 150 yards, saying that it really don't mean anything. I actually had a full bag fitting last weekend and the best shaft for me was a XStiff shaft. I hit the stiff shaft just as far but my dispersion was a bit better with the XStiff. If the shafts work for you play them until you can get into a driver fitting then you will have a better answer.

Ok then, I may just stay with what I got. I looked at some charts on the internet so I really have no idea what my driver swing speed is, I just know I hit my 8 iron 155. So I very well may be in the 100-105 range. I would say I usually hit a good drive around 285. My TM 3w goes about 245-250.

I live about 100 miles from any fitters, so it is not really possible to get fitted right now.

I would say try them out. Each shaft has different flex points, tip stiffness, and butt stiffness. I have a 115-120 mph swing speed and recently installed a nVentix Nunchuk which is a uniflex shaft that I hit further and straighter than any of my previous x stiff shafts. I would say try them since you have them and compare your results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on how old ya are :thumb:

The shafts were free. Go to a range and try them all out. You may not gain distance, but if you hit a fade that you don't like, it might straighten it out.

You didn't say what your normal ball flight was. I went with an x stiff to lower my ball flight. Recently, I found a Motore f1 stiff that performs just as good as some x stiff shafts.

Try them out if you have time. You never know what you might discover.

Jack

Come to a THP event, have a great time with some awesome people and I'm pretty sure there will be a FlightScope somewhere on the range.

Ok then, I may just stay with what I got. I looked at some charts on the internet so I really have no idea what my driver swing speed is, I just know I hit my 8 iron 155. So I very well may be in the 100-105 range. I would say I usually hit a good drive around 285. My TM 3w goes about 245-250.

I live about 100 miles from any fitters, so it is not really possible to get fitted right now.

Play what is working for sure. I am in a similar distance and SS boat. I am gaming a x-stiff in my driver and 3w now - but that is after being fitted. The reason for me was to reduce spin. Let a fitter determine when you get a chance to get one. Otherwise tinker if it is enjoyable for you - shafts are a fickle thing - and the stiffness rating doesn't mean a whole lot in the end of the day.

70g ahina x stiff is a very stiff shaft. Low launching, mid low spinning. Lower torque so will feel a bit boardy

Realize there's no standard for what stiff or extra stiff means. One company's extra stiff could play softer than another company's stiff, then you've got the fact that different shafts have different characteristics (regardless of flex) that affect ball flight, feel, etc. All of this is to say that basing a shaft decision solely on swing speed may not be the best way to go.

I'll give my 2 cents worth (and that's probably what it's worth) - Play what works best. IMO shaft flex is over-rated. I'm currently playing an X in my driver. My swing speed maybe gets to 100 if I really rip at it so I'm nowhere near X-range based on that. I had been looking for a 910 D2 7.5 deg forever and each time I found one it had an X in it so I kept passing. Found a really clean one with an X and decided to get it and swap the shaft. Of course, I had to hit it first (X Made for Ahina) and I love it. I've tried 2 other S shafts because they HAVE to be better for me (right?) but it's not even close. I'm easily 10-15 yards longer with the Ahina. I have no explanation, it just works for me for whatever reason. So if you're playing an S and it's working for you, then keep it.

My swing speed is around 107 (160-165 8 iron) and I play a stiff, but its more because I prefer the feel. My numbers weren't a whole lot different either way tbh.

Realize there's no standard for what stiff or extra stiff means. One company's extra stiff could play softer than another company's stiff, then you've got the fact that different shafts have different characteristics (regardless of flex) that affect ball flight, feel, etc. All of this is to say that basing a shaft decision solely on swing speed may not be the best way to go.

came here to say this. i think there are probably certain characteristics among shafts that produce an average in the industry, but nothing standardized. for instance, you hear that aerotech steelfibers play "stiff to flex" and when i was reading up on arthur xtreme shafts i read "they measured closer to x stiff." well, what does that really mean when there's no standard? i think it means "in my experience among most shafts."

to op, in my opinion, the only reason to start thinking about moving up a flex is if the ball is ballooning and/or your dispersion is all over the map with what you would consider to be good swings. my ss is usually right around 100, sometimes a few mph lower sometimes a few higher. i play r flex in everything other than driver (and honestly i should probably go r in that as well) because i have a smooth tempo and a passive (i suppose that's the opposite of aggressive!) load, and my 8i is my 155-160 club.

i have conflicting thoughts with fitting. on one hand, there's no better way to find out what works for you. i've done it a few times, and each time i took the fitter's advice it has worked out splendidly. and yet, as a club/gear ho, i'm always itching to try new things. so before making the trek and the investment to get fit, ask yourself whether you're someone who is looking for the best possible fit for clubs and will game them for years to come, or are you someone who enjoys tinkering? both are very expensive, by the way. and to the fitting, i read something recently that seemed to make sense: often times a high-end shaft fit to your swing will last you through multiple heads, so perhaps finding the right shaft is the best part of a fitting.

I'd start looking into a stiffer shaft if your shots are ballooning high in the wind and you can't control the dispersion well. I subscribe to playing the lowest flex you can control

Just to follow up on this. I took the shafts out and did some testing. I used the same balls, tees, hole, etc. to try to keep as little variance as possible. Once again, I don't know what my swing speed with the driver really is. Most are saying I am in the 100-105 range, because of how far I hit my 8 iron. Most say with that swing speed I should stay with the stiff flex shaft. Because of those statements, I almost didn't even try the other shafts out. MAN, WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN!

The first thing I noticed, was that the two x stiff shaft did feel a little heavier obviously. The next thing I noticed after hitting them, was that the shot dispersion was much tighter. Not only on solid strikes, but also shots off the toe. The dispersion was even tighter with the 'ahina than the Pro Force. Both were much better than my stiff flex. Miss hits with my stiff flex usually ended up being a rope hook into trouble. Not the case with the x stiff. I noticed a little lower launch with the Pro Force than the 'ahina.

Now for the distance. To my surprise, I was about 10-12 yard further with the x stiff. I couldn't believe it. Better shot dispersion and more distance!

The 'ahina is the one I am keeping. Glad I tried them out. Guess it does pay off to get fitted.

Back