Scotland-Summer 2018

Matthew

Reaction score
Handicap
I know there's some Scotland boys on here and I'm working through a trip right now for next summer with Pioneer Golf (https://www.pioneergolf.com/). So far we have The Old Course, The New Course, Prestwick & one of the Trump Turnberry courses on the list but want a little input from either folks that have been or live there. What hidden gems/can't miss courses do I need to look at as well?
My weekend group went 2 months before I met them and they say that Gleneagles wasn't anything to write home about but they loved some of the out of the way courses they played. We're looking at 5-6 days in country. The caveat is my wife is going and will be playing as well.

Any help or tips is greatly appreciated.

Off the top of my head:

Royal Dornoch (probably the best course I've ever played) is brilliant but it is a long way north. Can be tied in with castle stuart as well which is another nice course and you could spend a night in Inverness.

East coast - north Berwick (west links) is nice. Gullane is also a lovely course as is muirfield. The area is known as the golf coast so lots of options around there and convenient to Edinburgh being less than one hour away so can cover the touristy things to do as well (castle etc).

Give us a shout if you had any other questions. Happy to help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head:

Royal Dornoch (probably the best course I've ever played) is brilliant but it is a long way north. Can be tied in with castle stuart as well which is another nice course and you could spend a night in Inverness.

East coast - north Berwick (west links) is nice. Gullane is also a lovely course as is muirfield. The area is known as the golf coast so lots of options around there and convenient to Edinburgh being less than one hour away so can cover the touristy things to do as well (castle etc).

Give us a shout if you had any other questions. Happy to help out.

I'll have to look into those. We've got transportation set up, so somebody else is driving and it's a flat cost, and if we have to drive completely around the country that's fine. My only area of interest is to play golf and drink whiskey. I hear both are pretty decent.

I'll be over in Sept '18 as we'll be doing a British Isles cruise, but flying in a couple of days early so I can get a round in. Will be watching this thread. :)

My dad did a similar trip a couple of years ago and raved about Kingsbarns, which is very close to the Old Course.

Troon! It's an amazing place, even if you end up playing one of the city courses. The town is built around the golf courses so they are all in the center of town. If you can get on Royal Troon, great. If you have to play one of the muni's, you won't be disappointed. All fab links courses.

So right now we've got

Prestwick
Troon
St Andrews Old Course
St Andrews New Course
Kingsbarn

Along with a whisky tasting/tour

Now it's time to write a check and get this thing official.

I did not like Prestwick at all, and if you aren't playing the Ailsa Course, there is no reason to go to Turnberry. I would skip the west coast unless you have time to do Royal Troon & Ailsa. Go north towards Carnoustie and Dornoch....

With 5 days, i would try and hit the following.

* Muirfield (assuming you can get on)
* Old Course and New Course on the same day.
* Kingsbarns
* Carnoustie
* Royal Dornoch

Royal Dornoch is my favorite course in the world. It will move you emotionally.
Kingsbarns is in the best shape of any course i've ever played. Incredible golf course.
Muirfield is the top overall experience in Scotland.
Carnoustie is the best pure golf course in the world imo. Ugly, cold, windy, but there isn't a better track out there.
Old Course, well it's not a great course, but it's a must play. Worth it for how great the 1st, 17th and 18th are alone

Last edited:
I did not like Prestwick at all, and if you aren't playing the Ailsa Course, there is no reason to go to Turnberry. I would skip the west coast unless you have time to do Royal Troon & Ailsa. Go north towards Carnoustie and Dornoch....

With 5 days, i would try and hit the following.

* Muirfield (assuming you can get on)
* Old Course and New Course on the same day.
* Kingsbarns
* Carnoustie
* Royal Dornoch

Royal Dornoch is my favorite course in the world. It will move you emotionally.
Kingsbarns is in the best shape of any course i've ever played. Incredible golf course.
Muirfield is the top overall experience in Scotland.
Carnoustie is the best pure golf course in the world imo. Ugly, cold, windy, but there isn't a better track out there.
Old Course, well it's not a great course, but it's a must play. Worth it for how great the 1st, 17th and 18th are alone

I really wanted to play Carnoustie but with when we're trying to go, it's off limits for The Open. We're still planning so some things will probably change. I'd like to sneak in some out of the way courses as time allows but those might be a game time decision.

Royal Dornoch & Brora then. I promise you, the drive to Dornoch is worth it. Plus that's where the big boy Scotch places are at too.

Well if you are in the Dundee/Perth/St Andrews/Carnoustie area

Ladybank in Fife, Scotscraig in Fife
Downfield in Dundee
Rosemount At Blairgowrie in Perthshire
Fairmont St Andrews, Kittocks & Torrance Course

We paid our deposit yesterday afternoon and starting putting things in order. The courses haven't changed but some of the lodging did as their tee times didn't match up with when we wanted to go. My bride went through getting her passport last night and have an appointment this week to get hers and renew mine as I haven't needed to travel internationally for some time.

Things are getting exciting around here, for me at least.

Riding around today and had a question pop into my mind. We'll be getting a caddie at each course (and maybe push carts) but with our cart bags, do we need to or should we get carry bags or at least something lighter? I've heard 50/50 on some guys going with a lighter bag for ease of use and help the caddy out and some went full bore staff bags.

Opinions?

Riding around today and had a question pop into my mind. We'll be getting a caddie at each course (and maybe push carts) but with our cart bags, do we need to or should we get carry bags or at least something lighter? I've heard 50/50 on some guys going with a lighter bag for ease of use and help the caddy out and some went full bore staff bags.
Opinions?

I suppose it depends on what you want to take with you to each course. I know when playing in Scotland i want to have with me, umbrella, waterproofs at all times as the weather changes that quick.
If your cart bags have a double shoulder strap then the caddies should be okay. Most courses hire out some form of trolley for use if you don't have a caddie, electric now becoming more available, if you check ahead you can maybe book a buggy too.

Which venues did you choose to play at in the end or is the list still up in the air?

I suppose it depends on what you want to take with you to each course. I know when playing in Scotland i want to have with me, umbrella, waterproofs at all times as the weather changes that quick.
If your cart bags have a double shoulder strap then the caddies should be okay. Most courses hire out some form of trolley for use if you don't have a caddie, electric now becoming more available, if you check ahead you can maybe book a buggy too.

Which venues did you choose to play at in the end or is the list still up in the air?

I think I've finally decided on just picking up a new waterproof carry bag, just in case.

We're playing The Old Course, New Course, Kingsbarn, Prestwick & Troon. Depending on how one other foot falls, we may play Turnberry.

If you weren't already aware the following event takes place at Kingsbarns at the beginning of August. I don't know if you will get any television coverage where you are.
http://ricohwomensbritishopen.com/

i've walked the old course (still to play it), played a round on the new course (clubhouse is good) and dream of playing at Kingsbarns (i was trying to organise this for this year, but running out of time and my game is not where it should be)

@Puttin4Bird @Tadashi70

Think we need to follow this thread to see how old Matty does w/ his trip!

If you weren't already aware the following event takes place at Kingsbarns at the beginning of August. I don't know if you will get any television coverage where you are.
http://ricohwomensbritishopen.com/

i've walked the old course (still to play it), played a round on the new course (clubhouse is good) and dream of playing at Kingsbarns (i was trying to organise this for this year, but running out of time and my game is not where it should be)

I did not know that but it's marked now to find it either on TV or online. I've heard that it's a great track and beautiful. Thanks for the heads up.

@Puttin4Bird @Tadashi70

Think we need to follow this thread to see how old Matty does w/ his trip!

With the way dollars are adding up, I'll certainly consider sponsorship and front line reporting.

https://ricohwomensbritishopen.com/

We watched a good bit of it and my oh my, that is a beautiful course.

Better rain gear is in the works. We'll have a caddie for each course but I'm trying to be prepared.

Are waterproof bags recommended by the local contingent? I would think it'd be a nice feature but man they're hard to find decent looking bags.

Good waterproofs are a must, just in case.
More and more brands are making waterproof now, sun mountain and titliest are some of the nicer bags I have seen. I'm really disappointed with the taylormade offerings

Good waterproofs are a must, just in case.
More and more brands are making waterproof now, sun mountain and titliest are some of the nicer bags I have seen. I'm really disappointed with the taylormade offerings

I'm looking into some FJ gear as well as others. We have good pants but being in north Texas, jackets aren't that big of a deal.
My OCD is calling for the Callaway Aqua Dry stand bags. An all Callaway bag just wouldn't look right in a Titliest bag. It'd drive me crazy.

Back