Golf Bag set up 4 wood or 5 wood

Golfmasta69

Reaction score
Handicap
So I've been tinkering trying to lock in the top end of my bag..Currently playing Callaway Apex CF16's which are just phenomenal clubs.. 5- AW and titleist wedges.. Other than my one 26* hybrid, I carry a callaway XR 16 7 wood which I love and had been undecided between a xr 16 5 wood and a xr 16 4 wood..Out of 10 balls I hit the 5 wood much better than the 4 wood and misses are better.. Both off the deck and off the tee..
I feel like in sharing my thoughts I have answered my own questions, but was curious if others opted for a 5 wood instead of a 4 wood as their fairway wood and occasional club off the tee when driver is not needed..I just feel like I can hit the 5 wood so well and many times not a wnole lot diff in distance when I hit both as well as I can.. Anyways'' just wondering...

I go driver (10.5), 4W (16.5) and 3H (19) then 4-PW and 50, 54, 58. I've always had better success with the a FW in the 16.5 to 19 range so I get where you're coming from. Ultimately you should go with what you're most comfortable with, and it seems like you already know that that is :wink:.

I'm contemplating moving to a 3W + 5W instead of my 4W. After doing some analysis on my long irons and hybrids, my ball striking has improved enough that my 5i and 5h were almost identical. 5h went a tad higher, but not enough to warrant keeping it in the bag. That dropped me to 13 clubs. I'm keeping both the 4W and 5W in the bag for a solid comparison before deciding on the next step. Nothing wrong with stepping away from convention if it improves your game.

I go driver (10.5), 4W (16.5) and 3H (19) then 4-PW and 50, 54, 58. I've always had better success with the a FW in the 16.5 to 19 range so I get where you're coming from. Ultimately you should go with what you're most comfortable with, and it seems like you already know that that is :wink:.

Yeah.. agree with you on success with a FW in the 16.5 to 19 range, and now after much trial finding my success rate and quality of misses is much better with the 5W vs. a 4W, think i'll go with it.. Plus for the courses I play, going with a 5W off the tee when driver is not an option, I don't think it matters much if the remaining approach differs by 10 or so yards if that. It's just crazy how it's one of those things that you know is the right call choosing the 5W over the 4W, but it only take hitting a couple of good 4Ws in practice or in a round and you get sucked right back into thinking "maybe I should go with 4W...

I currently play XR16 Driver (10.5*), GBB 3W, and VSeries Heavenwood.

I was previously playing Driver, 4W, Heavenwood, before that, Driver, 5 Deep X2Hot, Heavenwood.

The constant is very much the Heavenwood, because of the confidence I have with it. Often I will play a round of golf and the 3W won't be touched, but the Heavenwood is the one that gets pulled if there is ever a question of 3W or HW.

You definitely answered your own question. The 5 Wood seems to inspire more confidence for you, and hit it consistently better. Take the question mark out of the equation, and play the 5W.

I never played a 4w fwiw but have given that some thought and really just comes down to yardages and gaps depending on what other clubs in my set up. And yes, there is also (as you said) the idea that you just like a given club better.
And to be honest I don't think what anyone does or thinks about there own setup would be anything at all that should weigh in on your set up. Sometimes people come up with ideas for ways to spread the gaps and that can be helpful if they make sense to you. But other than that only you can really know what you feel works best for your game as far as setting up your bag. There will usually be a gap somehwre in ones bag especially if they opt for an extra wedge. Then it simply becomes a matter of where/how/why one decides to place that gap or find a happy medium for it.

I do tinker around with my 3,4 hybs vs my 5w, 4iron and/or any combo of two of those. It seems no matter which way I do it , its always at that time I realize I needed one of the other clubs that round. I recently put my 5w back in my bag and dropped the 3h. I just find I play my 5w better and also will use it more than I would my 3h. But again this just seems (right now) to be my preference. I would actually drop my 4h and put my 4i (which I like) back in the bag but I can use the 4h from more of those less than desirable lies than I could my 4iron and so I decided (again for now) to keep the 4h in there instead just for that reason. But as implied , that's me and is not you.... of course.lol

I went 4 wood over 3 wood; as it seemed to me that I got similar distance more consistently out of the 4 than I did with the 3. If you are seeing the same with a 5 over a 4, just go with it.

Back