Time to cut the BS and fix my swing!

choppstixxx

AK Look-a-like
Reaction score
Handicap
After 5+ years of using an abbreviated 1/2 swing (many that have golfed with me can attest) that has netted me some very good results, I am transitioning into a full real golf swing. Last night I hit the grass range and started my journey, I know it's not gonna be easy but in the long run it will be worth it. My new swing technique currently is similar to Hideki Matsuyama. Where I have a very slow back swing to set it, then a quicker downswing. Hit some decent shots last night just using my 9i, 7i, and 5W. Just gonna keep plugging away every week at the range til I feel comfortable with it. I feel that in the end I will have a lot more consistency with my golf shots, more power, and will rely a lot less on timing and more of leverage. I am excited for the next chapter in my golf life:D
Oh yeah, Plin will be there to witness all the greatness that will come from this!!!

Last edited:
Good luck Joe, keep us posted buddy.

I use an abbreviated swing too and have tried to change to a full swing. The mental change is the hardest. In my head it feels like I'm making a full swing when I know I'm really not or I can take a beautiful full practice swing, but when I actually swing at the ball, it's abbreviated. Please pass along any good techniques you find that help you with the transition to a full swing, and best of luck making this change!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was amazed by how much speed you could generate with such a short back swing, if you can control a full back swing, you should be able to smoothen your transition quite a bit and still generate more speed/distance.

you have what it takes to get there, good luck!

I was amazed by how much speed you could generate with such a short back swing, if you can control a full back swing, you should be able to smoothen your transition quite a bit and still generate more speed/distance.

you have what it takes to get there, good luck!
My biggest gripe with it is that my iron play could be spotty at times, last night was a great tell. Almost every shot I hit even if it was a bit fat would at least get up and go, I didn't have to think as much either. I just let the swing do it's thing and the ball would pop off the face.
I will say that the full swing will be the hardest for my longer clubs (woods/driver). I tried the same technique as my irons and was hitting nasty slices.

In the 2 times we've got out for a round, the distance you've picked up off the tee is night and day.

Sent from my D5316 using Tapatalk

In the 2 times we've got out for a round, the distance you've picked up off the tee is night and day.

Haha and that isn't even with me full swinging yet Moose! Just imagine once I fully transition into the new swing :0) I might give Paul a run for his money.

Relax those arms and wrists and Paul will be hitting first :)

I've tried for over 30 years to shorten my swing! Big moves are tough, but hopefully you'll get some positive results.

I've tried for over 30 years to shorten my swing! Big moves are tough, but hopefully you'll get some positive results.
I thought it might as well be now, I'm 29 and just want more consistency/power. The older I get the harder it will be to make this type of change. After seeing all the great players @ the PA event, I just gotta do it for my own piece of mind.

Good luck! There's nothing like trying to correct a years of compensations (trust me...I'm in the middle of my own swing reconstruction). But the longest journey begins with a single step!

FWIW (not much), I have slowed my back swing down on my long clubs and it has helped but I have to remember tempo or else my transition is violent and problematic. Slow back does not equal a violent transition. I'm thinking of marking my balls with a T so I remember "tempo."

I thought it might as well be now, I'm 29 and just want more consistency/power. The older I get the harder it will be to make this type of change. After seeing all the great players @ the PA event, I just gotta do it for my own piece of mind.

As long as you're making a good, full shoulder turn, you should be golden. Just don't let your arms pull you out of your posture at the top of your swing!

I'm curious Joe, were you planning on doing this all by yourself? or did you buy a lesson package? or did you plan to upload videos to ask for Freddie's advice?

good luck. looking forward to seeing the results in a couple weeks

if you can control a full back swing, you should be able to smoothen your transition !

remember tempo or else my transition is violent and problematic. Slow back does not equal a violent transition. I'm thinking of marking my balls with a T so I remember "tempo."

Smooth Tempo ^^^^^^ like both quotes mention.
One of my biggest golf swing flaws. Without it, I do all kinds of different bad things.

I'm curious Joe, were you planning on doing this all by yourself? or did you buy a lesson package? or did you plan to upload videos to ask for Freddie's advice?
For now doing it myself, once I get comfortable I'll get some lessons from a local PGA pro to fix the rest.

Smooth Tempo ^^^^^^ like both quotes mention.
One of my biggest golf swing flaws. Without it, I do all kinds of different bad things.
Someday this will register in my dumb brain before I swing out of my shoes.

Nice, Joe!
I play with a guy who had a swing very similar to yours - short backswing, powerful downswing, inconsistent distances, usually short with all clubs.
It took him a year of practice and lessons, but his swing now is gorgeous, great timing, and he hits it as long as everyone else we play with - he gained 50+ yards with his drive.
Imagine the distance that you will see off the tee!!

Just wanted to give everyone a 2 month update, been really grooving with my "new" half swing. Almost every week I have been taking my 7i to the grass range and just hitting shot after shot to gain muscle memory/feel. My iron striking has been a lot more consistent/powerful, I don't feel like I am going to mis-hit them nearly at all. Most of the time I have been hitting these nice baby draws with my irons (which is def. not my norm). It has even spilled into my driver/woods, been hitting baby draws with those lately too. Now if I can get my short game/putting back in line, I'll start scoring a bit better :0) Here's to finishing out the season strong and starting next season with a bang.

Nice, Joe. If you can find an indoor range somewhere or set up a net in your garage for the winter, try to get out once or twice a month. It'll really make a difference come spring.

Good luck. The timing adjustment will always be the hardest. I hope you can take your swing improvement to the course as soon as possible.

Just wanted to give an end of the season re-cap, my new swing/swing adjustment has paid dividends this year. I have shot in the 80's this year more than double as much as I did total my whole golf career. I have found a new stride with my iron striking that has also strengthened all other aspects of my game. I would also say currently I am a club longer than when I started and accuracy with my irons is so much better. I am excited for next year and to wrap up this season. I applaud anyone else who has taken this journey as well, it's not always easy but worth it when you get the results you hoped for!

Just wanted to give an end of the season re-cap, my new swing/swing adjustment has paid dividends this year. I have shot in the 80's this year more than double as much as I did total my whole golf career. I have found a new stride with my iron striking that has also strengthened all other aspects of my game. I would also say currently I am a club longer than when I started and accuracy with my irons is so much better. I am excited for next year and to wrap up this season. I applaud anyone else who has taken this journey as well, it's not always easy but worth it when you get the results you hoped for!

that is great Joe, I hope I get to see that new swing soon!

Joe, just wanted to say I have seen a huge improvement since first we played last year at that THP outing Aaron (amsmith61) put together. You are definitely longer and more consistent off the tee and your short game inside 120 looks dialed in.

Joe, just wanted to say I have seen a huge improvement since first we played last year at that THP outing Aaron (amsmith61) put together. You are definitely longer and more consistent off the tee and your short game inside 120 looks dialed in.
You know it bud! Can't wait for Saturday, hopefully the sun comes out and we can get a decent day out of it. Terry Hill's is one of my favorite places!

Back