New SLDR "C" Series Driver, Fairway Woods, and Rescue Hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me old fashioned, but $169 doesn't seem like a low price point to me. I know that the Callaways (and others) of the world are now selling $400 drivers, but I still feel like I'm getting plenty of performance out of my Ping G10, which I bought pre-owned for about $70 a few years ago.

Of course, I don't buy anything new (golf related) except wedges and putters, so it likely is just me being a cheapskate.
Ok. You're old fashioned.

;)

Call me old fashioned, but $169 doesn't seem like a low price point to me. I know that the Callaways (and others) of the world are now selling $400 drivers, but I still feel like I'm getting plenty of performance out of my Ping G10, which I bought pre-owned for about $70 a few years ago.

Of course, I don't buy anything new (golf related) except wedges and putters, so it likely is just me being a cheapskate.

So $169 for new isn't a low price point but $70 for a used 5 year old club is?

No it's doesn't. Also doesn't change the fact that these threads all start the same. Its getting old.

Looking at the pictures in my first post your telling me that they used the same mold to make this head and just changed the color and stickers? Not sure how that's possible being the Jet Speed and the SLDR were different heads. Now if you said they decided not to spend time on the design and take a little of each to make a "new" head I would understand that. Is it the right direction? Probably not and I'm not arguing that. Dan's comment about how it looks like an SLDR and Jet Speed had a baby makes more sense.

And once again. I'm not defending this club. I have no idea how it will play and neither does anyone else here. We can all assume it will be similar to the others but that's not the point I was making.
I'm not telling you anything, merely asked a question. I can discuss the technology in it quite soon however. I can say it's not a "new release" however.

This thread is just hysterical though. Between the butthurt comments and pictures every 2 seconds that add nothing except trolling to the constant defense of a bargain bin product just because it has a name on it of a brand people like.

It's freaking comical. The product is bargain bin closeout on an old product. That is it plain and simple.

Dicks Sporting Goods Special

Did the Burner Superfast 3.0 raise this much hell?

I'm not telling you anything, merely asked a question. I can discuss the technology in it quite soon however. I can say it's not a "new release" however.

This thread is just hysterical though. Between the butthurt comments and pictures every 2 seconds that add nothing except trolling to the constant defense of a bargain bin product just because it has a name on it of a brand people like.

It's freaking comical. The product is bargain bin closeout on an old product. That is it plain and simple.

I removed the images, they weren't necessary.

No it's doesn't. Also doesn't change the fact that these threads all start the same. Its getting old.

Looking at the pictures in my first post your telling me that they used the same mold to make this head and just changed the color and stickers? Not sure how that's possible being the Jet Speed and the SLDR were different heads. Now if you said they decided not to spend time on the design and take a little of each to make a "new" head I would understand that. Is it the right direction? Probably not and I'm not arguing that. Dan's comment about how it looks like an SLDR and Jet Speed had a baby makes more sense.

And once again. I'm not defending this club. I have no idea how it will play and neither does anyone else here. We can all assume it will be similar to the others but that's not the point I was making.

There's a lot of things in this forum that are getting old and very typical. The list is long.

I've learned to sift through the bias, arrogance and judgemental to get to the good stuff.

I'm 46 years old and have no time for garbage. But I'll be damned if I'm turned off the good just because it's surrounded by a pile of sh1t!!

Just my opinion of course.

As said above, please keep this about the driver instead of judgemental stuff and that goes for everybody. If you are not discussing the "release" then don't add...It's that simple

There is just no reason for some of the stuff above being posted.

JB, or others who know more about the manufacturing of clubs than me - for these "recycled" releases for store brands (The Callaway X14 or X Series line that's out, or the AMP Cell D, or this) - how are the metalwood heads manufactured? Is the template/general shape the same, but with cheaper materials and finish? Obviously this isn't exactly a JetSpeed or SLDR with a different paint job, though I can't imagine they spend any time on R&D to produce these types of clubs. The slot looks different (and might not even be a real slot here - it almost looks like hard plastic).

$70 < $169.

I see where he's coming from. I bought my K15 brand new from Dick's for $70. Is there technology out there that might be better for me? Perhaps, but I hit this well, it works for me ... so I'm sticking with it. And the price simply couldn't be beat.

I think this is a step back for TM. Yes, the SLDR was a big seller, but it also appeared to be a very unforgiving club. The JetSpeed was an improvement (forgiveness-wise) but TM killed that club seemingly in the crib. It looked as if they turned the corner with the Aeroburner and R15 which is why the SLDR C is puzzling. If it had come before the Aero and R15, that's one thing ... but after? That's like Callaway releasing a bonded Big Bertha driver which looks like the 2014 models ... why bother? They already have the XR and 815 lines, build on your current models ... don't go back to last years.

I can discuss the technology in it quite soon however. I can say it's not a "new release" however.

Bump for anyone that missed this part. Kinda makes the whole thread a moot point. We can all go back to being cordial now.

Ok maybe I'm missing something here. At my work, we try to produce the least amount of inventory just so we don't get stuck with it. When you over produce and can't sell it, it not only is a sunk cost, it's taking up space which can prevent you from producing new product that can make you money. So what this looks like is TM has a ton of product left over that obviously isn't even making it to store shelves let along selling in stores. So instead of throwing away the extras and taking a total loss, someone said hey let's rebrand this with minimal changes to save cost and hope it sells. To me it makes business sense. I don't really think this is their big "next step"

To me it's apparent that this is an inventory mover club. And they're not unique in this. As has been pointed out we've seen Callaway, Cobra, etc., do the same things in the past, and when it's been recognized it's been pointed out. We've all seen these types of clubs, whether in Dicks, Sports Authority, Golf superstores, or Costco.

Can they work for someone? Sure. But it's safe to say that if it was bringing something new to the party, any OEM that likes making money (are there any that don't?) isn't going to sell it at a much lower price point than their flagship models.

When an OEM brings out a club like this I seriously doubt that when the marketing meetings are held they think it's going to appeal to gearheads... like the ones that inhabit boards like this. It seems to be more targeted to someone that wants to be able to put some clubs in a bin with a sign that says "New!" someplace in a store where it will be readily visible to a non-golfer looking of a gift for a grad or dad that comes from a name brand.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the people selling these expect a fair number to come back for exchange. That might be OK, since they'll be able to issue store credit and the customer's likely to apply it to something that costs even more (and I'm sure TM hopes it's one of theirs).

Feels like the OP thought he was bringing something new to everyone's attention without realizing that these are the kinds of releases that gearheads put in the "move on, nothing new to see" category. It doesn't mean it can't be an OK club for someone if properly fit.

IIRC, there's a set of Callaway irons out that do the same thing. The difference is that no one suggesting it's going to be a difference maker for them.

Butt-hurt is a perfect word for all of this :D. I don't know why people get so amped up about this. Heck if a person hits it and likes it they should buy it, if they don't like it don't buy it.
Its not like someone is holding a gun to a persons head and says you have to buy this rebranded driver.

JB, or others who know more about the manufacturing of clubs than me - for these "recycled" releases for store brands (The Callaway X14 or X Series line that's out, or the AMP Cell D, or this) - how are the metalwood heads manufactured? Is the template/general shape the same, but with cheaper materials and finish? Obviously this isn't exactly a JetSpeed or SLDR with a different paint job, though I can't imagine they spend any time on R&D to produce these types of clubs. The slot looks different (and might not even be a real slot here - it almost looks like hard plastic).
Great question, and I was wondering the same thing. Why retool machines to make this head when it is just to move inventory instead of drop the price of existing heads?

Great question, and I was wondering the same thing. Why retool machines to make this head when it is just to move inventory instead of drop the price of existing heads?

To me it just looks like the same head, only they don't cut out the part for the sliding weight. So it's possible this just saves them a step. I honestly have no idea what the process is for making these though.

Returns and Exchanges of used clubs are bad.

Returns and Exchanges of used clubs are bad.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the people selling these expect a fair number to come back for exchange. That might be OK, since they'll be able to issue store credit and the customer's likely to apply it to something that costs even more (and I'm sure TM hopes it's one of theirs).

Why would a person sell another person something that they think they are going to return? Wouldn't you want to get the customer something he/she is going to be satisfied with? Returned clubs aren't good for the seller, the customer, or someone that might buy the used club. Many stores don't allow customers to return clubs (especially at full value). Many stores have restrictions on what you can return for a store credit. Many stores you have to buy drivers at price points of $199.99 or more to be able to return it, and the SLDR C wouldn't qualify. That leaves the PGA Trade-in value to return clubs below that price at, and for those who have traded-in clubs before you know that is a huge drop in value. The stores often resell the used clubs at only slightly below the new clubs value. (I've seen used drivers selling for $279 while their new version in that same store is $299). Who wants to save $20 for a club with scratches on the face and sole, paint chips, and that has sky marks off the top when they can get a new one for $20 more? Then there is the fact that you don't know how the previous owner treated the club. For all you know the previous person threw the club, slammed it on the ground, and the shaft or head is about to snap. I don't think sellers or manufacturers ever want to have their product returned to a store, and then try to resell it.

I don't even know why I'm validating this with a response, but yes, it is a low price point, considering it was in near mint condition with a legit (not made for) Blueboard shaft.

If you asked me if I'd rather have 2 Ping G10s and $29 in my pocket, or one of these TMs, I'd take the G10 all day.

The SLDR Mini Driver is quite good with the same sole design as the new C-Series Driver, so that appears to be where the sole design comes from.

(See pic of a 12* Mini Driver below)

I have hit the SLDR Mini Driver and its very solid and easy to hit! As forgiving as it gets...now just imagine if it were larger...say around 460cc like the new C-Series Drivers.

By the way, you can find the SLDR Mini Drivers brand new at "closeout" prices of less than $100, (even the TP Series like I bought). Obviously, the closeout price does nothing whatsoever to diminish the Mini's great performance...it just provides great value to go along with it!

However, having said that, please don't let the performance of the SLDR Mini Driver influence any of your speculation or opinion about the new C-Series Drivers, Fairway Woods, or Rescue Hybrids.

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back