Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Wolf Creek Golf Review:
Date Played: June 6[SUP]th[/SUP] 2015
Time: 6:40 AM
Weather: 90 Degrees Wind 10-15 MPH
http://www.golfwolfcreek.com/

What Can I say about Wolf Creek? Before I begin my review, I figure I will preface it with some information for those of you who may not know much about it.

From Wolf Creeks Website:

“Wolf Creek Golf Club strives to deliver the ULTIMATE GOLF EXPERIENCE to each and every guest. As you are called to the first tee and look down towards the green, you notice a one of a kind canvas. The detail of the striped emerald green fairway below, lined with brilliant white sand bunkers, you instantly know that Wolf Creek is a special place. This is only a small sample of what is yet to come. As you navigate the elevation drops and wandering canyons, you wonder how they create this miraculous golf course, each hole unto its own. After finishing all eighteen holes, you are hard pressed to come up with just one signature hole and more often than not amazed with the picturesque beauty of the course rather than the score you shot.”

Awards and Accolades:
· Wolf Creek Golf Club won the fans choice award by Golf Digest in 2011. .
· Wall Street Journal Europe named Wolf Creek to its 10 best places in the world to play.
· 2002 - best new course by Golf Digest
· 2002 - #48 of best golf courses you can play by Golf Magazine
· 2003 - Americas Best Modern Course by Golf Week
· 2003 thru 2014 - Ranked #2 or #3 in the state of Nevada by Golf Digest, Golf Week, and Golf Magazine
· 2003 thru 2013 - Americas 100 GREATEST golf courses you can play by Golf Digest
· 2004 thru 2013 - Top 100 golf courses you can play - Golf Magazine
· 2005 - Americas best resort golf course - Golf Week Magazine

So as you can see it was certainly a bucket list course, and one I will never forget. Onto the review!

Practice Area: B

Starting out with a B isn’t what you would expect from a course like this, but let me explain a little bit. The reason it received a B- is simply because there is no room to hit anything other than irons on this driving range. Normally I wouldn’t care too much, but this is a course that demands accuracy with your longer clubs, so not being able to hit hybrids, fairway woods, and drivers is a bit frustrating. The range balls are included, they have numerous targets to hit to, have a big chipping green with multiple bunkers around it. The best part of this was that the bunkers very much mimicked what I saw on course. I arrived about an hour early and hit a decent amount of balls with all of my irons and wedges, and then went to the chipping green and hit out of the rough and the sand before teeing off. They also have a putting green between the clubhouse and hole #10, but not one right next to hole #1. Not a big deal to me, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Wolf%20Creek%20001.jpg

Course Conditions: A+

The course is immaculate. I am sure there are times of the year where the heat may get the best of this place, but everything was in perfect shape. I saw one bunker that a couple of maintenance workers were working on, but besides that every green, every tee box, and every bunker were basically flawless. For a course that gets a ton of play I didn’t think they had a ton of unrepaired divots on the green, seems as if someone comes around and handles that as the greens rolled very true. The conditions of the course certainly matched something that you would expect from a bucket-list type course that you pay good money for. The rough wasn’t too bad in my opinion, I felt that you had to account for some distance loss, but nothing like a lot of courses I play on a regular basis.

Wolf%20Creek%20022.jpg

Layout: A+

Can you really give this anything other than an A+? I mean really? The layout is one of the coolest I have ever seen. Some people call it gimmicky, but to me it was unlike anything I have ever seen in my life. The elevation changes, the dog-legs, the water, and the traps all added to a really cool experience in my mind. There was only 1 hole on the entire course that I didn’t see as a “signature hole.” It was a Par 3 playing about 110 a little downhill, but nothing like the rest of the course. That isn’t a slight on the hole, but more a commendation on the rest of the course.

The course has 5 Tee boxes; ranging from 6939 to 4401 yards. I think this is a course that plays a bit different than the stated yardages. Most holes require a downhill tee-shot and then an approach to an elevated green. The starter asked me my handicap and how far I hit the ball before I teed off and then recommended a set of tees for me. I never felt pressured by him and he actually recommended a set further back than I thought he would, because he wanted to make sure I was able to hit driver as much as I wanted to.

I think it offered a great challenge for all skill levels. I shot a 40/40 and did that missing quite a few birdie putts. I think if you can hit the ball straight, the course isn’t overly difficult. The greens are fair, but if you get it on the wrong tier watch out! Quite a bit of undulation on many of the holes.

Wolf%20Creek%20030.jpg

Pace of Play: B+

The round took me about 5 hours. I was anticipating a long round because of the driving in between holes, and the general scenery and people wanting to embrace the entire experience. I rated this a B because I know 5 hours is slow, but to me it didn’t bother me, and I played as a single. They warn you before you tee off that rounds can easily eclipse 4.5-5 hours so I was definitely anticipating this before I hit the first tee box.

Marshalls were fairly frequent on the course. I saw them multiple times throughout the round and on the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] green there was one there to clean my clubs and offer me a bottle of water and ask me how the round was. I thought a very personal touch.

Price: A

My round cost $125 bucks which for this course was a steal in my opinion. Comparing it price-wise to something like Cowboys club I think this is a no brainer in value, it is one of the best looking courses and one of the best layouts I have ever experienced. They do offer deals and in the summertime this place can get as cheap as $55. Granted, it would be 115 degrees, but if you are brave enough you can play it for extremely cheap.

Amenities: A-

The course has plenty of amenities. Multiple bathrooms on course, a halfway house that you pass twice over the 18 holes that is a “drive-thru.” It was the first drive-thru snack stand I have ever seen. As for locker rooms, I didn’t check, but I would imagine they have them. They also had an extremely well-stocked pro-shop and a bar and grill with some solid food options. The only knock is they didn’t have a beverage cart, but they had cold water every other hole so I didn’t notice it.

Wolf%20Creek%20023.jpg

Overall: A

It is the third best course I have ever played behind the Hideaway courses. The conditions, the staff, the layout, all are amazing. I strongly suggest if you are in the Vegas area you make the 70 minute or so drive to Wolf Creek. It is truly an amazing course, and one I will look forward to playing again.

Wolf%20Creek%20017.jpg

More Pictures:

Wolf%20Creek%20014.jpg

Wolf%20Creek%20013.jpg

Wolf%20Creek%20012.jpg

Wolf%20Creek%20011.jpg

Wolf%20Creek%20009.jpg

Wolf%20Creek%20007.jpg

Wolf%20Creek%20006.jpg

Wolf%20Creek%20003.jpg

Wolf%20Creek%20032.jpg

Wolf%20Creek%20027.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome looking course and a great review, This one is definitely on the bucket lists.

Loved the review buddy. You killed it. WHEN I make my way out to Vegas, this will be on my "must do" list. And I find it interesting that they let you play as a single too, and not in a bad way.

Excellent writeup and great pics. One of my top 2 courses I've ever played easily

Course looks flawless. Great review TH

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Looks awesome Taylor.

Those pictures are phenomenal. I have friends who have played this course, but having never been to Nevada myself, it remains on my bucket list for sure.

Loved the review buddy. You killed it. WHEN I make my way out to Vegas, this will be on my "must do" list. And I find it interesting that they let you play as a single too, and not in a bad way.

Ya I found it a bit interesting as well, but most foursomes were full. No one hopped on the same time slot as me unfortunately so I played alone. Didn't take away from the experience at all IMO. Allowed me to hit some second shots trying to go over the mountains and such that proved to be a lot of fun

#memories. nice review...beat me to it, lol.

If I hadn't already contributed to about a hundred PMs with dleavitt and VegaMav about dates and times for TPC I'd be saying "So, Wolf Creek?"

Great review Taylor. I've always wanted to golf in Mesquite & I'll need to add this to the list.

Very nice review!
As I played this course a few weeks ago, I am a bit jealous that you had shade/clouds! Well, not really, it was not that hot when I/we played, but the views are spectacular either with or without the sun shining!

Course looks absolutely stunning. Great review Taylor!

Thanks guys! It was a ton of fun

Awesome review. I've loved this course ever since it was added to the Tiger Woods games! Would love to get out and play it!

One thing I remember about wolf creek is there were a few hills that were so steep the cart brakes did not work.

One thing I remember about wolf creek is there were a few hills that were so steep the cart brakes did not work.

Yep absolutely. They make you sign a waiver and for good reason. I can't imagine someone who has had a few too many trying to navigate that place

awesome review, the pictures were breathtaking

Great write up. I think your spot on with this review. I absolutely loved this course.

Great pics dude.

Nice review Taylor! Looks awesome, Southwest golf is outstanding.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

A great review , something about this part of the United States produces very gorgeous looking courses. We have the heavy dense trees and undulation, but the desert look seems to appeal to me more.

These are a lot of fun to read, I'm hoping I can use my one free round this year at one of our premier clubs in the area. Kinda inspired me to do a nice thread like this

And I think their courses are harder than our Midwest ones.. IMHO

I am not sure about harder, but certainly different. I would say the rough isn't as bad as many in the Midwest, and the greens were fairly receptive and slow, but certainly the elevation changes and the overall beauty is much different than what I see in the midwest.

Back