Launch Monitors: Radar vs Camera

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Launch Monitors have been around for a long time, but only in recent years been the talk of all club fitting. The newest device on the market is the Foresight GCQuad and it is getting rave reviews. The GCQuad is a camera based system and it differs from FlightScope and Trackman that use radar to determine numbers.

THP TV sat down with Foresight Sports to discuss the differences between camera and radar and what makes the GCQuad such a unique device. Rick from Foresight also shared some huge news about some things coming to this unit's software and it should have golfers excited.

Looking forward to watching this one when I get home.

I really want to try the Quad in person. All the technology sounds very cool. Also the ability to add putter fitting to this sounds really neat!

Putter App! Yes! Putter numbers always seems like the stepchild to the driver/iron numbers. Gonna love to see how they do this.

I wonder if they ever envision applying both radar and camera technology together into a device? Probably make the unit sky rocket in price but just a thought.

I'm drooling at the thought of a putter app.

Great video Josh, I enjoyed it a lot (4K still blows my mind BTW) and it was fun hearing what they believe others do well, but also how they are essentially the measuring stick for launch monitors, something I think that many don't realize with Trackman being plastered all over TV.

Can't wait to learn more about the Quad as they continue to evolve with apps and games.

awesome video.Also having been through their setup, it's crazy how everything is done in house. Love the talk about how the camera systems are used to calibrate the radar systems, and not the other way around. The putter app is going to be so interesting when it comes out. They've had a big first 4-5 months of the year and I can't wait to see where they are at the PGA show next year.

BTW really liked the pop ups throughout the video, the text bubbles, the instagram posts. Good stuff.

• Admin
Putter App! Yes! Putter numbers always seems like the stepchild to the driver/iron numbers. Gonna love to see how they do this.

I wonder if they ever envision applying both radar and camera technology together into a device? Probably make the unit sky rocket in price but just a thought.

I don't think so. Not based on the conversations I had with them. They feel as though (and tested) that its the most accurate device out there and I know that a lot of industry people feel the same way since the Quad was released.

I don't think so. Not based on the conversations I had with them. They feel as though (and tested) that its the most accurate device out there and I know that a lot of industry people feel the same way since the Quad was released.

The buzz on the Quad has been spreading like wildfire, its crazy cool to see.

Thanks JB this will be interesting

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Cool video. The GC Quad sounds like the perfect device. I'm happy these aren't affordable for the average consumer I'd never get anything done.

The buzz on the Quad has been spreading like wildfire, its crazy cool to see.

It was really interesting to see the brand as a whole being talked about at each company I visited. Something I had not seen/heard previously.

Thanks JB this will be interesting

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

You are welcome. Enjoy the video.

It's mind blowing that the GC2 has sold the most golf equipment - also being able to use it for putters, has me excited. Also it's funny that radar uses camera. Great video, these tech ones are some of my favorites, due to the amount of information that is revealed.

Great video THP, thanks for sharing.

Watched it one more time for good measure and the putter piece is still the most fascinating part. Had me thinking though, why is Trackman more popular with Tour Pros when this seems more accurate?

Watched it one more time for good measure and the putter piece is still the most fascinating part. Had me thinking though, why is Trackman more popular with Tour Pros when this seems more accurate?

A few reasons. For one, before the Quad came out, it was the most complete package. The second part is that Club Face feature requires marking of the golf ball. There are a few other reasons, but I will leave it at these. I will say that most tour players we have been around, have had a GC2 and are working at purchasing a GCQuad as well (they are not available) (empty shelves).

I wonder that as well. I was always under the assumption that trackman was the most accurate, especially outdoors, but that does not appear to be the case.

Very interesting watch. Great video Josh.

Really interesting info in that piece! I can't wait to see where this type of technology takes the game of golf.

Very interesting piece, I have no doubt this tech provides the most accurate measurement of precisely what is occurring around impact. I helped devise a dual camera HSV measurement technique in another industry that quickly became the gold standard for all similar testing. You really can't beat HSV when it comes to characterizing exactly what is going on.

Oh man a super accurate indoor ready system with accurate putting. Once this gets the ability to add a sim like the golf club that will be very very very awesome. Do want.

May have missed it but is this the unit that the THP staffers are equipped with right now?

If money wasn't an issue, I'd have the GC2Quad.

I spoke to a few regional sales persons (both TrackMan and Foresight Sports) and for $7,000 less, the GC2Quad did everything and then some.

May have missed it but is this the unit that the THP staffers are equipped with right now?

THP staff writers will be using GC2 with full software until Foresight catches up on GCQuad. The demand is ludicrous right now but they have increased production and added more people to get there.

Admittedly, I do not know much about these devices due to very limited exposure to them. Really enjoyed listening to talk about the features and enhancements the Quad offers and the comparison against other devices. The coming putter app sounds like it could definitely be a game changer.

Back