Launch Monitors: Radar vs Camera

Finally caught up and watched this and I found it riveting. I don't know why but I've always had a thing for launch monitors lol.

I don't want to post actual pricing, but you are incorrect. ]

You would be the incorrect one. The prices aren't secret. Trackman 4 starts at $18,995. While it's true GCQuad starts around 14k, if you want club tracking it's $18k. That's not significantly less. I don't think it's fair to consider trade-in credit here.

My heartburn with the stickers is that the only convenient way to utilize them is to just keep them on your clubs all the time as you suggested. You don't have to do that with the radar based systems.

You would be the incorrect one. The prices aren't secret. Trackman 4 starts at $18,995. While it's true GCQuad starts around 14k, if you want club tracking it's $18k. That's not significantly less. I don't think it's fair to consider trade-in credit here.

My heartburn with the stickers is that the only convenient way to utilize them is to just keep them on your clubs all the time as you suggested. You don't have to do that with the radar based systems.

Using the stickers is small price to pay for actual impact and clubhead data. Radar systems systems are basically guess impact pact information based on the ball flight. Personally I would take the GCquad over Trackman every time. YMMV.

Radar systems systems are basically guess impact pact information based on the ball flight.

That is incorrect. While some of the data provided by Trackman is calculated, the radar literally reads the geometric center of the clubhead through space.

I'd suggest reading this document, specifically the last two pages starting at "Challenges When Determining Club Delivery". They explain their argument for why a camera based system is flawed.

http://mytrackman.com/media/66a79d8...Content/5_ Editorial/Newsletter 01-2013/1_pdf

So who are we to believe? Both companies want to sell a product and explain why there's is best. But only one is used by the PGA Tour and is the overwhelming top choice for tour pros.

There is a reason why GC2 is more popular at stores and with fitters and that is price. And that is coming from multiple individuals involved in management of (the former) Golfsmith and from friends who do custom fittings. And these individuals aren't getting paid by any launch monitor company and aren't getting free/discounted units to talk up anyone's product either.

Last edited:

There is only one version of the GCQuad and HMT is integrated. GC2 (older model) without HMT is significantly cheaper then the $14,000 you tossed out.

You just compared the TOP OF THE LINE GCQuad capable of being used indoor or outdoor to the ENTRY LEVEL TrackMan 4 capable of only being used Indoor. How does that make any sense? If you're going to make comparisons, at least compare apples to apples.

Using your numbers, how is $18,000 NOT significantly less then $24,995?

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/best-launch-monitors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sdnative,
If you want to accurately compare prices, look up service contract pricing. I know as someone that has been in the market this year to determine the best for us in accurate data, this is something often overlooked.

One interesting item often overlooked is the ability to use right on the course easily while playing. It was something we enjoyed with the Foresight line (both gc2 and GCQuad) vs trying to do it with both FlightScope and Trackman without another person there.

Last edited:
That's an awesome upgrade for THP Staff writers.

Any chance for a THP discount on a GCQuad (kidding but not really)?

One of the arguments I heard from a Trackman salesperson was alignment. How does Foresight direct you to align the unit so it's pointed at the intended target?

Its actually pretty interesting and we have some info coming up in a future episode of Tech Talk on it.

I am not going to say anything about this as JB has already said it will be discussed, but having witnessed my pro set his unit up all I will say is it looked pretty simple to me

Part of the problem with radar based systems for home hitting bays/simulators is they are placed ideally about 6-8 feet behind you on your target line while the GC2 & Quad go parallel to your target line in front of you. With the screen in front of you about 8-10 feet and some space behind the screen, that makes for about 20 feet of depth needed. We are building a retirement home right now and I easily have room for a GC2/Quad but not the radar based systems unless I want to screw up the seating for my TV area or not have a pool table and bar, which are not options. I'd love to have the Quad but they are selling refurbished GC2's for $5,800 which seems a bit more sensible for a home based system. A year from now I'll be able to enjoy it!

This unit looks like a beast. Sadly out of my price range, but still, looks like some solid improvements over GC2. Can't wait to see what the rest of the THP content on this is. Interested in what the extra games might be. Would be cool if they have plans to allow it to integrate with TGC like the GC2 did.

Sdnative,
If you want to accurately compare prices, look up service contract pricing. I know as someone that has been in the market this year to determine the best for us in accurate data, this is something often overlooked.

One interesting item often overlooked is the ability to use right on the course easily while playing. It was something we enjoyed with the Foresight line (both gc2 and GCQuad) vs trying to do it with both FlightScope and Trackman without another person there.

You are preaching to the choir. I've done my research and I completely agree. While I believe you can have a good debate on which launch monitor is "better"... there is no debating the GCQuad is the least expensive of the two. This is true based on initial price and further confirmed when you take into consideration Foresight Sports does NOT charge annual fees (aka service contract) and TrackMan does (~$1000/year).

Anyhow, looking forward to the future videos.

This unit looks like a beast. Sadly out of my price range, but still, looks like some solid improvements over GC2. Can't wait to see what the rest of the THP content on this is. Interested in what the extra games might be. Would be cool if they have plans to allow it to integrate with TGC like the GC2 did.

I feel you brother. I would welcome a GCQuad, but like you said, it's out of my price range.

Pretty amazing that radar systems use cameras to calibrate their equipment. Makes one wonder why they don't just goto camera based systems and 'skip' the calibration (ignoring cost to design, engineer, and produce, of course).

~Rock

A few reasons. For one, before the Quad came out, it was the most complete package. The second part is that Club Face feature requires marking of the golf ball. There are a few other reasons, but I will leave it at these. I will say that most tour players we have been around, have had a GC2 and are working at purchasing a GCQuad as well (they are not available) (empty shelves).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting conversation with Callaway Preowned this weekend as they prefer the camera based system and will be upgrading to the GCQuad in their office. They compared three units and just liked the simplicity more and found the spin data incredibly accurate.

Interesting conversation with Callaway Preowned this weekend as they prefer the camera based system and will be upgrading to the GCQuad in their office. They compared three units and just liked the simplicity more and found the spin data incredibly accurate.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you start seeing this happening more often now with the introduction of the new GCQuad. Wishing I had the funds to put one in the basement.

Interesting image put out by Foresight. Obviously timed well, but the tour player conversion is rather large.

E0kQzrbUUAEgjc8.jpg

Interesting image put out by Foresight. Obviously timed well, but the tour player conversion is rather large.

View attachment 9006338

If I was foresight I would see if I could set one up in ever spot for these guys. Say use it if you want to.. Let us know if you have questions. Then take these pictures every week.

View attachment 9006338
Is it just the angle or are there players double dipping and getting numbers from GCQuad and Trackman?

Cameras ftw

Radar works great, but cameras work better

Cool video. The GC Quad sounds like the perfect device. I'm happy these aren't affordable for the average consumer I'd never get anything done.
Right? I asked my buddies how often they would use a simulator if they had one in their house. We all agreed it would probably be almost every single day.

Is it just the angle or are there players double dipping and getting numbers from GCQuad and Trackman?

i think some do. quad for the numbers. trackman for the full flight.

Back