Two Nines vs 18 Holes

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
My home course has 3 nines, so I usually view each nine as it's own separate round. Almost every one of my goals per round are centered around nine holes. This has both positives and negatives for me.

Positives are that I can really rebound rather easy and turn a round into something different. The Negative is that if it goes south on a nine, I sometimes coast through until the turn. Something I have worked to erase.

Do you view a round as 18 or are you similar to me and view it as two nines?

I try to take it hole by hole TBH. Also depends if I'm playing a match or not.

If I had to pick one, two separate nines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My home course has 3 nines, so I usually view each nine as it's own separate round. Almost every one of my goals per round are centered around nine holes. This has both positives and negatives for me.

Positives are that I can really rebound rather easy and turn a round into something different. The Negative is that if it goes south on a nine, I sometimes coast through until the turn. Something I have worked to erase.

Do you view a round as 18 or are you similar to me and view it as two nines?
I am somewhere in between I think. When u turn the corner I seem to refresh it seems. This can be a very good thing as I have had awful front 9s that turned into solid backs. But I have done the opposite just as much.

Where is home these days? Carrollwood?

My home course has 9 Holes in ND and 9 in MN. They are built pretty different from each other. So to me, I consider it 2 9's

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Admin
I am somewhere in between I think. When u turn the corner I seem to refresh it seems. This can be a very good thing as I have had awful front 9s that turned into solid backs. But I have done the opposite just as much.

Where is home these days? Carrollwood?

Countryside.

Great topic. I have to say both. I do review my game 9 holes at a time but also reflect on how I played as a whole. I look for bad holes and if I was able to bounce back. Whether it's 18 or 36 holes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Countryside.
I didn't realize they had 27. I know you got fed up with Club Corp the first go round, been better?

• Admin
I didn't realize they had 27. I know you got fed up with Club Corp the first go round, been better?

Separate thread...haha. Still not great.

I play a lot of partial rounds in the evenings after dinner. Most of those are somewhere between 6 and 15 holes and I can play at a 45-50 minute 9 hole pace. I don't think of 9 holes as it's own round or even 18 as it's own if I'm playing 27, 36 or more.

I have a similar course and I view it as 18. I love the three 9 setup but only when I play my favorite two lol. One 9 hole setup is miserable!

I view all rounds as 18 holes. I used to break it up in (3) 6 hole rounds then (2) 9s but for years now it's been 18 holes

I've been working on taking the game 1 hole at a time. Not allowing a bad hole to influence my shots on the next hole.

My home course you don't return to the clubhouse until you're done with 18. Makes it extremely difficult to view it as two 9s. When playing a traditional layout, i like to view it as two 9s.

Even when playing 18 i will compare the nine's and hope my second nine is better than the front....ill try to improve on each hole.

2 nines. Helps me to stay focused on the short term and if I have a bad first 9, allows me to use the second for redemption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely 2 nines if I shoot poorly on the front, I always say "get it back on a new 9" ... forget about the previous 9. If my goal on the first 9 is "No 3 putts" then I mix it up on the last nine and say "hit every fairway" ... mix it up to keep it interesting.
I feel trying to keep a goal for the entire 18 gets boring after a while ... this makes it more fun

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Play 27 and treat it as 1 big round

I base everything off of 18 holes. I can't remember ever doing it any different.

I view it as two nines. I add up stats from the front nine, then try to improve on the back nine.

i've tried almost everything i can think of:

- three 6-hole rounds
- six 3-hole rounds
- two 9-hole rounds
- not keeping a running tally in my head of my score +/- to par

there hasn't been one method that has worked better than another as far as keeping things from getting off the rails is concerned.

I'm an 18 hole guy. I don't even consider 9 holes a round. The only time I play 9 holes is when I'm playing alone and the pace is too slow for my liking, or when I'm feeling cheap and I play the local executive course. That one is essentially a par 3 course (there's one par 4), so I REALLY don't count that one.

I view it as 18 holes but some courses there are stretches where I think ok,if I can get thru here at such and such I'll be good

I lived where they had 3 9s and loved it. I could play 1 and 2 one day then 2 and 3 the next etc.and keep mixing them up.
Now to the OP. I have given this a lot of thought. I play shot by shot. Subtract putting say 25-35 per 18 for an example. You shoot an 85, minus 30=65. So in 18 holes there are approx. 65 times you have to concentrate and swing the best you can. Some may be chips or short shots so concentrating on those relatively few shots is critical to score well. Thinking about the game this way makes more sense to me. It is a way to try and not screw up a good round with one or two misses caused by mental errors.

My home course is made up of 3 set of nines (designed by Ken Dye) it provides a ton of options to keep it interesting. I see each as separate rounds of nine.

Other than league, almost every round I play is 18 or more, so I generally contain all my goals within 18 holes. I am a fan of using the turn as a fresh start though if I have a rough front.

Back