Two Nines vs 18 Holes

I view a round as 18 holes, but, I do have a goal of breaking 40 on each nine. So, I guess I compartmentalize each nine in that respect. I usually don't add up my score until after 18, however, in an effort to focus on one hole, one shot at a time.

I play hole to hole but my home course also has 3 sets of 9s. So I do divide the round up into 2 games of 9 mentally.

I try to view it as 18 holes, but depending on the event, format, etc. It maybe be easier to think as 9. But in an 18 hole match play you have to view it as the whole thing, need to be in it for the long run.

I view a round as 18. Because well, that's a round of golf. And so I view 9 as half a round. That being said I do at the same time view 9 as a whole unit. Half a round but none the less a whole unit if that makes any sense.

I may often comment something like this on the 10th tee..."ok boys...its round 2"
sort of meant in a way as though saying its the second part of a 2 part single thing like in the way one might refer to a 2round boxing match (if that actually existed).
So again, to me its half a round but its also a whole unit.

I compare the front and back ones as well. Funny how a short cart ride from 9 to 10 can be like traveling between 2 worlds after you look back at your score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I consider it 18 holes. I don't add up scores until the end, although when I make the turn I know if I am scoring well or not.

I tend to view it as two 9's unless I'm playing a really good round. At that point I will really focus on the 18 to see how low I can go

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I used to view it as 18 but after playing in a league for the last 5 years and only playing 9 holes I've changed. Even when I play 18 now I think of it as 2 separate 9's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think of it ias the whole 18. I try not to get too caught up in things and just think of the whole 18. I always try to remember to just go shot by shot and worry about the whole of the round at the end.

I tend to look at it as 2 nines. Always played 9 hole rounds growing up and through high school so 9 hole rounds are in my DNA.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

I look at it as two nines and end up comparing them.

Hmm... "yes?" ?

Generally I view a round as 18 holes. But when I have a poor front, I'm apt to think that I can turn it around on the back.

Yet, if I score particularly well on one nine but not the other, of either order, I'll take little satisfaction if any on any successful fraction of the round. Overall score is always my goal, so overall, I guess, I'll always view my round as 18 holes.

some times when I am really wanting to micro manage my game, I view it as 3 holes at a time. I try to beat my score from the last three holes.

Lately ive been focusing on two sets of nine. grind through the first and usually get a hot dog on the turn and take a minute to reset perspective and attitude.

That being said, I think a proper 18 hole score should be played in the same round. Part of a true 18 hole score is dealing with the fatigue that usually sets in around the 12-14th hole for me.

Although I call it the tale of two 9's when all is said and done i've played 18 and count it as such.

I guess it depends on how many holes I am going out to play, my new home course is laid out slightly different than the normal 2 loops of 9 with the 1st and 10th being by the clubhouse

You play 1 to 8, then cross over an access road and play 9 to 17 before coming back over the road to play the 18th and head back to the clubhouse, so if you are playing 18 then there isn't really a natural break afther the 9th

At other courses I have always looked at it as a full 18 holes and will probably do the same at my new course

If I am going out after work for a few holes I have the option of playing 3 or 5 holes and then jumping on the 18th if it is free if I want to play another, or play 1 to 8 and then jump on the 18th. If the course is quiet I can even loop round the 6th ,7th and 8th a couple times due to how the course is laid out

Take my game on a hole by hole basis but view a round as 18.

2 nines, since most of my regular rounds are 9 holes. Helps me keep the same mindset.

I usually look at them as two 9's myself. I've got a lot of rounds that end up as the tale of two 9's also, so I'm not sure if it really works. After I finish 9 holes I usually don't try to make up any strokes I lost on the front when I move to the back. It is a new 9 and it's played that way.

For me, I need 18 holes for a round. It helps keep me stay focused whether I'm playing well or poorly!

When I hear the word round I immediately think 18 holes. For handicap purposes I don't think 9's should be combined unless they are played on the same day/same conditions, because well a round is 18 holes. However when I'm on the course I like to think of the round as 2 separate nines. If I'm not playing well on the front 9 I know I still have the back 9 to get it together. I don't know if that makes any sense or not.

A round to me is 18

If I'm playing well early then I see it as 18 hole round....if I'm starting off slow, I'm already thinking of "This all resets on the turn! All new 9 holes!" lol

Home course is only 9 holes, but a round is still 18 for me. We will on occasion play different tees on each nine just to change the distance.

I always view it as an 18 hole round if thats what im playing. My best round ever was a 35-37 for an even par 72. I dont consider myself anyone whos ever shot under par before even though my front 9 was -1

I view a round as a whole bunch victories or failures. Each shot contributes to the overall goal.
I try not to get ahead of myself.

Back