Having an off week, tips on how to relax and stop over-thinking?

QUA1L

Reaction score
I've been taking lessons for about 2 months and had been improving tremendously. To the point where my slice was almost gone and I was starting to see a slight draw. I've been working hard and playing a considerable amount of golf (2-3 rounds per week, plus lessons every other week). My round Saturday despite being incredibly slow was pretty good (for me any way) 1 birdie, 7 pars, 6 bogeys, 2 double bogeys (3 putts hurt, also skipped two holes due to a massive bottle neck, almost 6 hours for 16 holes). However, the last couple of days have been catastrophic train wrecks. It started yesterday during my lesson. It's like I had forgotten how to golf. No matter the advice I'd get from my instructor, I'd chunk or slice. He gave me an extra 30 minutes to try and get me back to hitting the ball well. No such luck. I just chalked it up to an off day, said I'd work on the lessons key points, and that I'd see him 2 weeks. Today I played with co-workers and it was more of the same. Slicing, chunking, and the occasional snap hook. The worse I did, the more I was in my own head. How do you deal with this? How do you calm down? Im just replaying it over and over and working myself up over it. Go the range, break my swing down and go back to the basics? Take a week or two off?

The game is hard. There are no magic answers. Hang in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was/am in similar spot as you, 2 weeks ago I shot my best round ever, then the next 4 rounds was in the high 90s and low 100s...took a few days off, went and played a round with local THP'ers on Tuesday, and shot one of my better rounds of the year. I think key was, I made a mental effort to play more relaxed, and not try to smash every shot, I also find spending a good half hour on the putting green before the round helps heaps with putting during the round. Keys, (for me at least), don't over swing driver, just try to get it on fairway, don't over swing clubs trying to reach green, when you can still make par laying up.

Im playing again tomorrow, hopefully can keep some of the good stuff from Tuesday going....this game is tough, and we just have to enjoy the ride. Dont take it to serious, just have fun.

I've been taking lessons for about 2 months and had been improving tremendously. To the point where my slice was almost gone and I was starting to see a slight draw. I've been working hard and playing a considerable amount of golf (2-3 rounds per week, plus lessons every other week). My round Saturday despite being incredibly slow was pretty good (for me any way) 1 birdie, 7 pars, 6 bogeys, 2 double bogeys (3 putts hurt, also skipped two holes due to a massive bottle neck, almost 6 hours for 16 holes). However, the last couple of days have been catastrophic train wrecks. It started yesterday during my lesson. It's like I had forgotten how to golf. No matter the advice I'd get from my instructor, I'd chunk or slice. He gave me an extra 30 minutes to try and get me back to hitting the ball well. No such luck. I just chalked it up to an off day, said I'd work on the lessons key points, and that I'd see him 2 weeks. Today I played with co-workers and it was more of the same. Slicing, chunking, and the occasional snap hook. The worse I did, the more I was in my own head. How do you deal with this? How do you calm down? Im just replaying it over and over and working myself up over it. Go the range, break my swing down and go back to the basics? Take a week or two off?

Here's my tip:

When you start hitting the ball poorly, it's generally a sign that you're becoming too ball-focused. Put your focus back on swinging to your target and you'll likely see improvement.

A week off never hurt anyone. Unplug from golf. I do it about once a year. Although, i always say im taking a week off and then end up back after 3-4 days. Still, it always helps me to just unplug, recharge, and come back out fresh.

~Rock

A week off never hurt anyone. Unplug from golf. I do it about once a year. Although, i always say im taking a week off and then end up back after 3-4 days. Still, it always helps me to just unplug, recharge, and come back out fresh.

~Rock
This.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

~Rock

I agree. Give it rest, clear your mind and then go play. Nothing but positive thoughts. Think only of the good shots/rounds.

Take a solid week off and don't think of all the recent failures. When you go back out there dwell only on the good shots . Even if you only have a few, focus on the feel of those that you struck well.

I had a horrible day yesterday but I do remember the solid shots that I managed to pull off. That's the only ones that matter ?

Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I think Im just going to take a full week off, take some time to revisit my other hobby which is completely unrelated to golf, then go back to it next weekend, hopefully refreshed.

Good plan. It can be tough to not beat yourself up--I do it all the time. What has helped me is to get in the mindset that I'm not playing a round, I don't have a bad swing, I just need to play one shot at a time until I hole out on 18.

I've stopped even looking at my scorecard other than to write down stats after a hole.

It can be a real challenge sometimes to get into that mindset, but when I do I play significantly better.

There is an interesting article in the current copy of Golf Digest and I personally like it. Play golf without keeping a score card. Just play and don't concentrate so hard on what score you my post on each hole. Putting pressure on yourself only brings out stress and stress can lead to a swing folding like a lawn chair.

Sometimes I'll get to a point where I'm striking the ball well and getting a bunch of rounds and practice.... and then my body/mind just get tired and everything goes out the window.Sometimes we can't tell when our body and mind are tired. I end up taking a week off and things go back to normal.

Back