Based on your last round, what needs the most work?

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I usually reflect on my rounds on the drive home and think about what went well, and what needs to be better. I thought this thread could serve as a place to hash that out, and maybe offer tips and ideas for any of us who had the same struggles and improved.

Flighting and working wedges... I need an Indy wedge.

So short game?

Per usual, tee game.

i need to improve my focus and performance on holes 12-16. it's a stretch i almost always struggle with. maybe the answer is a snack of some sort, or just taking a little extra time. i don't know if i can easily data-mine my scores in ushandicap.com, but i feel like my combined scores on those stretches relative to par would be pretty terrible.

i also need to improve my decisions off the tee on par 3s. i think i tend to put up big numbers on par 3s because i try to get too cute with shot shapes, instead of just hitting a stock shot every time.

Club and shot selection. I seem to be too aggressive at the wrong time and need to learn to take my medicine more often when I don't have a solid look at the green on my approach shots.

driver off the tee. everything else I am happy with but if I can get a nice driver shot off the tee I would be scoring lower.

Putting, always putting. I leave way too many putts short. I am really focusing on getting the ball 2 feet past the hole. It's a work in progress.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

why flighting? wind?

what I've seen in my last few rounds, was with wedges from i dunno 30-90 yards I was trying to hit them high and let them stop that way, but I've changed technique a bit also not swing full but 50% 75% and hitting it lower, but generating more spin so I get more stopping power also short game as i struggled with the deep rough greenside and no green to work with.

I have seen some ballooning in the wind this year, but that's for the ball thread :angel:

Hitting more GIR....again

Per usual, tee game.

This is me for sure right now dude. Maybe just the tinkering with drivers and shafts that I have been doing but I think I have something in the bag that will work for me. Get to find out Sunday!

Putting. 21 putts over the first 9 holes, despite that I posted by personal best of 46 in the front 9. Then I had another 18 in the back 9 for a grand total of 39 putts in the round.

Full swing and it was addressed in my latest lesson. Slowly getting to where it's pretty consistent

been hitting my driver really well all season except for yesterday. Its been my best club all year, and I used my 4w for back 9 yesterday. Was like I never hit a driver before....
I'll hit the range at lunch and hopefully I can forget about yesterday and move on.

Putting, putting, putting...oh and putting.

Long/Mid irons. Same as it ever was.

I swear, some day, these will not be my kryptonite.

accuracy on approach shots.

ive been following a strategy of only going for the green if within 130 yds, if outside of that, lay up to an easier distance ti hit the green. (bogey golf)

Even at 130 yards im having some difficulty with dispersion and missing greens, though my misses are fewer, much closer and leave me much easier recovery shots.

I need to improve accuracy and then start increasing my distance from the green.

Hands down, Driver. I was terrible off the tee. My game is so cyclical. At the beginning of the year my tee game kept me in rounds and my iron play let me down. Now my tee game is a dumpster fire and my short game is extinguishing the flames. Need to get the tee game in order to take advantage of the sharpened short game.

My second last round featured a high 15 GIR. My last round featured a low 6 GIR.

Basically I have no idea.

Sand play (as always) and controlled short irons. I need to hit more greens with short irons and wedges.

Mid to long approaches, and putting, but more GIR and closer to the hole would help that cause.

I always seem to find the farthest reaches of the green, when I find the green, with shots over about 130.

Last edited:
The last round as with almost every round is struggles with the driver.

Back