Wedge setup choices

gatoreric

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.6
I know there are alot of posts on wedges and wedge setup. I have read a ton of them, But figured I would post my particular dilemma and get the thoughts of THP. Recently purchased I200's which I absolutely love. Went with 5-UW in power specs which puts my UW at 49.5. After a few rounds my UW is at a solid 115-120 yards. I can hit a nice little partial shot down to around 105 but also want a club I can hit full from 95-105 too. I currently have a 56 degree Ping MB which is my go to club on all shots around the green, bunkers, etc. I am fairly good with this club and my short game is the strength of my game. I have had this 56 for 14 years and practice with it extensively. I am leaning towards new Glide 2.0 wedges to match my I200's. I know new grooves can also be a benefit of new wedges too. My initial leaning is to go with a 54 SS to use as my full 105-90 yard club and for chips and pitches with green to work with. Then adding a 58 ES to use as my bunker, deep rough, and lob shot club. And maybe even the 58 as my main club for most chips around the green. I am fairly comfortable with the loft setup except for the idea that I won't have a 56 in my bag, as it has been my favorite club for a while. I am a little nervous about the 54 running out too much and the 58 being too high lofted on basic chips and pitches. I am thinking I am so comfortable with 56 because of the time I have spent with it and that having two new options can make me more versatile and be an improvement if I put the same time and practice in to them. The other side makes me wonder if i will always feel in between the two clubs and miss my 56. So, asking you guys a few questions. What is your go to club for most standard chips/pitches around the green? Which loft do you use for sand shots? Are my worries warranted? Anyone else make the switch from one club around greens to two and how did that go? I am fully aware that this comes down to personal preference, I just know you guys have insight from your own games and I would love to hear your thoughts.

My 56 degree is the most used club in my bag for sure. 105 or in and I'm hitting it. Full shot at 105, then various pitch shots all the way down to green side flops.

I go with a 54* and a 58* around the greens, and the 54* is by far and away my workhorse. I'll add the caveat that I don't take full swings at all with my non-set wedges, my 50* is the highest I'll take a full swing with. I practice a lot with the 54* and I think that's a big reason why I use it for so much, just comfort. The 58* is almost exclusively for sand and when I'm short sided around the green. For some reason I just don't seem to hit good shots with that one when it's any more than like a 1/4 swing, but that's more me than anything else.

Wedge setup choices

46, 50, 54, 60 for me...I use my 60 the most around the green I'd say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My set has a 50* UW basically the same as yours. My thinking is if I went with a 56* SW my gapping is too wide. So I went with a 54* SW and a 58* LW. The advantage of that set up is if you are in the green side bunker and hole is on the other side a 54* will come closer to getting you there. My LW is a titleist BV K grind, the wider sole make interaction with the grass oround the green

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My wedges are 43,47,52 and 56. It took a little getting use to but now I am use to that setup. The 56 does double duty from 80 yards in and sand wedge. Tim

My set has a 50* UW basically the same as yours. My thinking is if I went with a 56* SW my gapping is too wide. So I went with a 54* SW and a 58* LW. The advantage of that set up is if you are in the green side bunker and hole is on the other side a 54* will come closer to getting you there. My LW is a titleist BV K grind, the wider sole make interaction with the grass around the green better for me. When I had my set with the 52* UW I had one that was built like a wedge not an iron. I used it in the sand for long shots. Now my UW is built like an iron with a wide sole not so good in the sand.

My current go to is my 52 surprisingly, but i'm transitioning over to a different setup and that will have my 54 being my new go to. For sand it really depends on how far to the pin, how high I have to go, and how bad the lie is. Usually an open faced 52 will do just fine, but if I really have to get it up then I use my 58. To be honest with you I've always had issues with doing regular chips and pitches with something lofted as high as a 58, never seems to roll out the way I want it to consistently. I think you'd be surprised at how many shots you can hit with a 54 around the green, but you could always use that higher lofted if you get really stuck and need an escape out of some nasty lie or if you really have to be delicate with it. I'm sure having another club to work with won't do you any damage, as long as you select the right club for the right situations. Plus, open up that 54s face a little and it'll perform pretty similar to your old 56 (but with newer grooves and better control hopefully!). Good luck with your experimenting, hope you find what works for you.

My current go to is my 52 surprisingly, but i'm transitioning over to a different setup and that will have my 54 being my new go to. For sand it really depends on how far to the pin, how high I have to go, and how bad the lie is. Usually an open faced 52 will do just fine, but if I really have to get it up then I use my 58. To be honest with you I've always had issues with doing regular chips and pitches with something lofted as high as a 58, never seems to roll out the way I want it to consistently. I think you'd be surprised at how many shots you can hit with a 54 around the green, but you could always use that higher lofted if you get really stuck and need an escape out of some nasty lie or if you really have to be delicate with it. I'm sure having another club to work with won't do you any damage, as long as you select the right club for the right situations. Plus, open up that 54s face a little and it'll perform pretty similar to your old 56 (but with newer grooves and better control hopefully!). Good luck with your experimenting, hope you find what works for you.

Thanks everyone. I'm sure trying something new won't hurt anything. I love opening and closing the club face with the 56. Spend a lot of time practicing short game and different shots. Been hitting an old 58 I have and so far so good. Then idea of a little lower checking 54 shot sounds fun. Worst case scenario is I have the 56 as a fallback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my GW and SW more than any other clubs in my bag. Those are my go to for various partial shots inside 100. Just depends on lie and how much I want to let it roll out.

Back