Callaway Apex UT Utility Iron

I just remembered... j4u has the 18 degree. He went to go get it adjusted for lie angle and they tell him it's 15 freakin degrees!!! He says leave it there and I am always amazed at how high he hits it. I mean every where. Great off the tee, and he pounds it off the deck. Just such a weapon. Some people prefer hybrids, some (including myself) prefer something like this. When missed distance loss is pretty big but it's what I prefer from my miss, I don't want it to go a long ways offline

Just finished reading through this thread and really appreciate everyone's input.

Question for those playing the Apex UT...are you guys using the same shafts in the UT that you play in your irons? I'm curious what the Tour V shaft will be like. I tend to hit a pretty low ball and was fitted into the XP95 in my irons. I'm very interested in giving the 24* a try as my hybrid has been giving me grief and I have a gap between 5i-5w.
I have the TourV 125's in my J15CB and the TourV S in my 18°. Matches made in glorius awesomeness. The 21° and 24° have modus 3 130 in stiff that Kang had and "extra" set of...yep...he set me to a woodless system.

The 21 and 24 I can hold greens from distance as they are higher flight with their pairing. The 18 is more of a 3W replacement.

I just remembered... j4u has the 18 degree. He went to go get it adjusted for lie angle and they tell him it's 15 freakin degrees!!! He says leave it there and I am always amazed at how high he hits it. I mean every where. Great off the tee, and he pounds it off the deck. Just such a weapon.

You know how much I love to hit these clubs. Finding out that decrease in loft on the 18° and then the first two swings after knowing said loft....fat....fat...whaaaat? The mind can be a turrible thing...lol.

Callaway Apex UT Utility Iron

CPO has a 24 with Tour V, Modus 3 130 or Recoil 660/680 all in "Like New" condition. Would the launch of those three be in that order? I've never swung a Nippon shaft and I'm only hesitant of the Recoil because that's what's in my wayward hybrid.

I am in hard ponder on a 24 right now. Just need to find a used one that fits my specs.

CPO has a 24 with Tour V, Modus 3 130 or Recoil 660/680 all in "Like New" condition. Would the launch of those three be in that order? I've never swung a Nippon shaft and I'm only hesitant of the Recoil because that's what's in my wayward hybrid.

The Tour V should be the lowest. I have both the Tour V (18) and the Modus (21/24) in the ones I'm using and the Modus gets it up in the air more.

Flat out nutted this 21 degree over the weekend. Best decision I made was dropping the hybrid for this.

Just finished reading through this thread and really appreciate everyone's input.

Question for those playing the Apex UT...are you guys using the same shafts in the UT that you play in your irons? I'm curious what the Tour V shaft will be like. I tend to hit a pretty low ball and was fitted into the XP95 in my irons. I'm very interested in giving the 24* a try as my hybrid has been giving me grief and I have a gap between 5i-5w.

Yes, I have the same shafts in my Apex UT irons as the rest of my set, even cut them down to match the length of the iron they are replacing.

I play Apex pros 6-PW with the tour v X shaft. I have the 18* & 24* UT with the Recoil 660/680 F4 shaft. LOVE them. Hit them better than the x2hot 18* and 23* hybrids I replaced. The 18* is nasty off the tee.

Flat out nutted this 21 degree over the weekend. Best decision I made was dropping the hybrid for this.
Well I won't be the guy that says I told you so... but I did :)

My fingers hurt just thinking about hitting this! Looks gorgeous though right enough.

Are these supposed to be "easier" to hit than a long iron?

Really considering one to replace the 4 iron.

I don't know if they're easier, per se, but they are definitely forgiving for what they are. They launch higher, and in my experience, carry further than Apex irons of the same loft.

Took advantage of the 25% off promo at CPO a few days back. Bought "like new" 18 and 21 UTs, along with the Apex 3 iron. First impressions are great, the 18 gives me about the same distance as my 4 wood with a higher launch, and the 21 gives me about 10-15 more yards than the 3 iron. So far so good with the purchase, but it's kinda weird not having a fairway wood in the bag.

I kinda enjoy seeing this thread pop up...ironman

Received mine in time for the Lex invitational but didn't switch shafts yet. Really pleased the performance. So consistent compared to my g25 hybrid. I pulled the trigger and used it all weekend. Great club. Looks, forgiveness, versatility. Has it all.

I hit this club yesterday at dukes golf in Annapolis...

the flight on the monitor was low but I was still getting incredible yardage out of the 3 iron... it was hard for me not to purchase.. I actually woke up this morning thinking about the club and the possibilities..

may ride out there again this weekend and buy it...

I have ordered the 21 in recoil f3 and am hoping this will help on my home course which has forest hazard on every hole. I have never been comfortable with any hybrid and dont hit long irons high enough. Any idea what kind of distance to expect out of the 21 if my driver average is about 225 total on average?

This club is amazing. I finally saved up enough to purchased the 21 degree (-1/4") and it was everything I imagined. Replaced my 230y hybrid and it's so easy to hit high or low.

First on course use was 227 to front left pin, I hit a nice draw off the center of the green and ended up 10 yards past the hole (pitch mark was pin high, had some wind help). I blew the eagle putt but had a nice birdie tap in.

I used it off the tee on some shorter par 4's to keep from blocking myself into the greens. Shot 78/79 first two rounds with it in the bag on a course I never break 80. It has yet to cost me a shot on course, something my hybrid did almost every round. It had to go.

Yes, I have the same shafts in my Apex UT irons as the rest of my set, even cut them down to match the length of the iron they are replacing.

Ditto....did the same thing here with the shaft lengths as I'm using the UT-21 and UT-24 to replace my Apex Pro 3 and 4 irons.
Also have the UT-18 and will be using that per course and/or windy days. Apex UT offset and lofts flowed perfectly with the Apex Pro's spec's. Reshafted all with Nippon NS Modus3 System3 Tour 125 that I'm loving and will give more feedback on all after I play with them for a bit.

I picked up a 21* from the CPO sale last week. It's just sitting there in my bag, looking amazing...I can't wait to hit this thing!! I'll finally be able to get to the range later this week

Definitely the savior club for me to gap between the irons and hybrids, I wouldn't go as far as replacing my XHP hybrids, I can only say it's PERFECT for what I need.

So, I ended up playing yesterday after work...first time this club (newly purchased 21*) came into play for me was a 210 yd par 3. Nothing like putting a never-before-hit club into play during a round. I pushed the ball a bit to the right and missed the green, but that aside......sweet mother of everything holy!!! The ball flight!! It's ridiculous!! I'm totally in love. There wasn't anyone around out there, so I hit a couple more.

I can tell this is going to quickly become my favorite club in the bag. It also feels incredible. I think part of that is the shaft too (KBS Tour V 110) - now this has my wheels turning to reshaft my irons with them...ughhhhh what is wrong with me!

I will say, I sold my X2 Hot hybrid for the UT 21* and thus far it is proving to be great decision (thanks to everyone that posted & encouraged that!).

I duffed one drive with my 915 and it was laying propped up a bit on the rough, ball above my feet. I still had 215 in now, so I choked up bit, aimed a tad right & went for it with the UT. Best shot of the day...hit on the screws, slight baby draw (no doubt helped by the ball position, not my swing, lol) and it hit front edge of the green and rolled up 10' from the pin. So stoked.

Yes, I'm in love. Now I want an 18* too...and some KBS shafts for my irons...

The KBS Tour V is a fantastic shaft, it is indeed in my new set of apex to go with the ut. I am not surprised you're getting grooved with it fast.

You all need to stop because now I am in ponder mode.

Back