MD3 Milled Matte Black Wedges

fistfullofbeer

Akshay ("Ak" + "Shay")
Reaction score
Handicap
20's
I am looking at buying a 56 and 60 in the W grind. I was wondering if you guys had any experience with the finish wearing off on these wedges. I love the look of the finish but I have a Cleveland Smart Sole 2.0 in black which wore off in 2 weeks. If that is also the case with the MD3 Matte Black, I would rather buy the Chrome finish instead.

Mine held up well over the course of a year. Very little fade after 10 or 12 outings.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My black MD3 looks way better than I thought it would. I've used it probably 15-20 rounds

finish holds up and wears nicely, but can be scraped off with a wire brush

This is good to know. I play about 2 rounds a week (sometimes more if I can) in the summer and about 3-4 rounds a month in the winter. The Western WA weather is not very enjoyable in the winter for golf .. :)

The 60 degree is what I am concerned about as I use that for chips around the green and also full shots within 70-80 yards. The 56 is what I use only for full shots.

finish holds up and wears nicely, but can be scraped off with a wire brush

As in, If the finish starts wearing off and I want it completely off I can do that with a wire brush?

I don't think you will have any problem with wear. I've had a 56* for over a year and it looks fine. If you want the finish completely off, it's much easier to do chemically.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've had mine for 18 months and the 60 is just now starting to get a little shiny on the sole and that's from the sand shots. They are easily the best I've ever used in terms of a finish not scratching or wearing prematurely

Played about 8-10 rounds plus practice on mine. Honestly very happy with the lack of wear. These clubs look so nice and was worried the black would wear very quickly. It did not. I recommend them as should last a while.

My 58 degree, which I use a lot in the sand, has held up fantastic over the year+ I've had it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I ended up ordering the 52 S grind, 56 S grind and 60 W grind all in Matte Black today.

I was wondering if there are any specific tips you guys have from a maintenance standpoint? Soap and water for the club plus a standard metal brush for the grooves? Given the way the grooves are, I am not sure if there is anything 'special' that needs to be done.

I just cleaned mine after every round with a wet towel and a bristle brush. Finish held up excellent.

I ended up ordering the 52 S grind, 56 S grind and 60 W grind all in Matte Black today.

I was wondering if there are any specific tips you guys have from a maintenance standpoint? Soap and water for the club plus a standard metal brush for the grooves? Given the way the grooves are, I am not sure if there is anything 'special' that needs to be done.

Metal brush will start taking the black finish off

Damp towel and maybe a stiff nylon brush is all you need

Metal brush will start taking the black finish off

Damp towel and maybe a stiff nylon brush is all you need

Was thinking the same about the metal brush wearing off the finish.

I am trying to get in the habit of quickly wiping my clubs after every shot and then cleaning them up with soap and water at the end of the day. Not sure exactly how to carry a damp towel around during a round though .. :)

Was thinking the same about the metal brush wearing off the finish.

I am trying to get in the habit of quickly wiping my clubs after every shot and then cleaning them up with soap and water at the end of the day. Not sure exactly how to carry a damp towel around during a round though .. :)

there are specially-made towels that have one side wet one side dry, or you can use a plain old microfiber towel and wet half of it

I had the MD2s prior to my MD3s and both wear pretty well but the finish does wear. I don't much mind it as it's mainly the sole and bottom groves and like the raw finish anyway.

I had the MD2s prior to my MD3s and both wear pretty well but the finish does wear. I don't much mind it as it's mainly the sole and bottom groves and like the raw finish anyway.

Do you have any pictures of how the club looks like after it wears. I actually bought the Cleveland Smart Sole 2.0 around 3 weeks back. It has a black finish (not chrome) but it starting wearing after the 1st round and looked terrible after the 2nd. The black actually seemed to wear into a shiny silver which was pretty annoying. Ended up returning that club (after a slight argument with the shop). A club wearing after 1-2 rounds is just not acceptable in my eyes.

935d74636adde9bf639a96c6f4a31203.jpg
121321eafb52b09aa368fa9d27d4e00f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is about 5 rounds in and I use my 60 A LOT.

I would imagine out there playing desert golf the wear and tear is a bit greater than it is other places as well.

Thanks a lot. Ok. So that does not look too bad. It does not look 'shiny' which is acceptable to me. And yah, like mpeterson said, playing 5 rounds in the desert may cause more pain than up here in Western WA where its almost always wet ... :)

Back