Return to 'Competitive' Golf

cyoung2ty

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all... I'm new here, but I've been reading around for the last few weeks or so. I love the amount of interaction there seems to be, so I'm hoping this is well received.

I've been playing golf for about 20 years now, and I've had a few times here and there that I've played 'competitively'. I put that in quotes because my level of competition is not the same level as most people who would consider themselves competitive. I currently own a handicap of 18.0 which is on the rise. I've been as low as a 16.3 at one point a few years back, and I've been as high as about a 25.2 (give or take).

I played high school golf... and our team was bad enough that I was a number 1 during my senior year, despite struggling to keep my scores below 50 for 9 holes. After that, I kind of got away from the game for awhile due to family and financial issues. When I finally got back into things, I played with a pair of clubs that used USGA handicaps and net scores to determine the weekly winners. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with those clubs, but ultimately, something just didn't feel right about the full handicap tournaments. Still... I hadn't been able to 'break through' and win any of the tournaments I'd played in.

Throughout my time with those clubs, I would also play in an occasional county run tournament. Those were almost always flighted tournaments, and I really enjoyed them. I found that the level of competition was stronger, which raised my game. I had to focus on my real score, and it seemed to make me play better.

In 2009, I played in the Club Championship at the local county course. The first round was a stroke play qualifier where your score determined your seed, and then the rest of the tournament was straight up match play. This was also flighted, which I loved. I qualified in a decent position, and due to a field that wasn't complete, I had a first round bye. I then won my second round match on the 19th hole and blew away my opponent in the semi-final match. I got to the 36 hole final round and, although I had a quick start, I ended up losing badly. I believe the final was 7 & 6... but I'm not certain. Still... a second place finish was more than alright by me... but it left me wanting more.
I played the same tournament in 2013, but there were only a handful of people who signed up for C Flight, so I was told that I'd either get a refund, or I could attempt to play in B Flight... so, of course I wanted to play. I qualified with a decent-for-me score (94) and then faced the #4 seed in the first round. I ended up finding a way to win that match, posting an 88 and winning the match 1 Up. A week later, I got bounced in the second round, but... again, I felt that I'd played well and was happy to have won a single match in a flight higher than I should have been in.

Anyway... here we are now and after moving to the Charlotte area, I've found the Golfweek Amateur Tour. Their tournaments are all flighted, and I've been playing in the C Flight (14.0 - 18.9 handicap).

We played another tournament just a few days ago (my 7th tournament of the season with them) at a beautiful course just outside of Charlotte (The Peninsula Club). I've been keeping a 'journal' of all of my rounds since September of last year and logging them on a blog. The link to the blog and the entry for Tuesday are both below.

If there is interest, I'll update here after each entry.

I'd love some feedback, if you've got any.

Blog Link

Tournament Review - The Peninsula Club - 5/26/2015 (Cornelius, NC)

Thanks everybody!

Welcome and good luck with your tourneys.

Return to 'Competitive' Golf

Welcome to THP!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome and good luck. I look forward to seeing your results.

Welcome to THP. Good luck in the tourneys

Welcome to THP! And good luck with the tourny play.

Welcome to THP. Good luck with your next tournament.

Welcome to THP, best of luck in the tourney!

Welcome and good luck!

Welcome - the journal is a good habit as it can show you where you need to devote most of your practice time. Good luck!

BTW, my parents lived off of Pineville-Matthews, right across from the GINORMOUS pink church. Within a couple of miles of there, I remember playing some awesome courses.

Welcome - the journal is a good habit as it can show you where you need to devote most of your practice time. Good luck!

BTW, my parents lived off of Pineville-Matthews, right across from the GINORMOUS pink church. Within a couple of miles of there, I remember playing some awesome courses.

You're absolutely right! I used to keep a journal with one of the clubs I mentioned above and it was always helpful to go back and read during times I was struggling to see what, if anything, I was doing differently at other points.

I think I know the church you are talking about. There are definitely some good courses in that area.

Regent Park isn't far. Springfield is just south of that. Ballantyne is right there. Emerald Lakes is in Matthews.

Moving from New Jersey to Charlotte has certainly opened up access to some gorgeous courses. The course we just played, though, is the best I think I've ever played. It's at the top of my list, for sure!

Welcome the THP and good luck this summer!

Hey all... I played the new tournament in our season on Saturday.

It didn't go as well as I'd hoped, but I managed to somewhat figure out how to control my driver, which had been giving me fits over the previous two rounds.

Anyway... I ended up posting a 98 which was a full 16 shots off the winning score. All the gory details are in the link below.

Tournament Review - Charlotte National Golf Club (6/6/2015)

The next tournament is the weekend of Father's Day. It'll be a 2 day tournament where anything can happen.

Until then...

Welcome to THP!, good luck with the tourneys

Back