US Open Contest prizes arrived! Custom 'Murica Fly Z Driver!

Martsy

Reaction score
Handicap
18.5 GHIN
I came home from the golf course yesterday to two exciting packages from Cobra/Puma Golf. The first package was a beautiful pair of red, white, & blue Titan Tours. I haven't had a chance to wear them outside yet but the feel is just incredible and greatly looking forward to trying them out on the course. I'll give my feedback on these over time in the existing thread over here http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...olf-TitanTour-amp-TitanLite-Golf-Shoe-Preview

IMG_0306_zps7rjox3wm.jpg

I could have stopped there and my month would have been made, but alas, there was a long narrow box also included....what could it be? :act-up:

First, a little background. A day or two after I found out I was the lucky winner of the THP US Open contest (http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...amp-Official-Thread-Amazing-Cobra-PUMA-Prizes), I received a call from Mike Yagley, Director of Innovation, Research and Testing at Cobra PUMA Golf. It's weird, I talk to directors and executives every day, but his call brought butterflies to my stomach. I guess when you're a golf geek like the rest of us are, it's kind of like a kid receiving a call from Santa. Especially since at one point last year my entire bag sans putter was entirely Cobra.

Thankfully Mike is about as nice a person over the phone as you could hope for, and we quickly got in some initial golf banter and he congratulated me on my contest win. Slight early awkward point when he asked me who I chose, and I felt guilty for saying Oosthuizen and Reed, two staffers of other OEM's, but to be honest I figured I'd have to go out on a little limb to have a shot at this and assumed everyone would be taking Ricky anyway.

After that we discussed my golf game, he asked if I knew any of my launch or spin numbers, and thankfully i still had screenshots from a trip to Golfsmith last year with my BioCell+, so we had that as a baseline to work with. Being a high handicap though, i really do get intimidated discussing things like swing weight, CG and contact time, but he understood where I was coming from and really gave me a better idea of what kind of driver he was building for me and how it would help my game. He also offered me to get in touch with him if it didn't work out and they'd tweak it if needed. We discussed shafts and I went with one that was similar to what I have used previously in the Motore Speeder 6.1 shaft, as well as length, grip size, etc. Originally the plan was a blue head, white shaft, and red grip.

A few days later I received another call from Mike, as well as Andy Heroy, a test technician with Cobra and the gentleman who actually built my club. Apparently the shaft I selected was blue, not white like we had thought...but that was easily remedied by switching the head to white...which I was actually all for as I previously have owned a blue Amp Cell, blue Bio Cell, and blue Bio Cell+...so maybe looking down at a different color isn't such a bad idea. We spoke for a few minutes and then they ended the call with "you're club will be on it's way in a few days"...more goosebumps.

Ok, by now I'm sure you've had enough of my blabbering...how about some pictures? First though, the note included from Andy that I will keep forever. The explanation of the creation of my 1 of 1 'Murica driver! I especially love the end remarks...and yes, I do plan on hitting the crap out of it!

IMG_0326v2_zpsjm7vkenz.jpg

And now the club itself:

IMG_0317_zps32pabcuk.jpg

IMG_0312_zps4ar9kwja.jpg

IMG_0322_zpsoiocvirn.jpg

IMG_0324_zpsvoqw5zvl.jpg

It bears repeating, but I can't thank THP or Cobra/Puma enough for having this awesome contest and providing a one of a kind prize like this. Special shout out to Mike Yagley and Andy Heroy for taking time out of their day to call me, and build this unique club. I haven't hit the driver yet but plan on trying to today if the rain holds up, and I'll use this thread as my method of giving feedback on it, and hope to have a chance in the near future to try it out on THP's Flightscope, and let some other THP'er give it a swing as well. I feel like while I've been given custody, this is truly something that belongs to all of THP and hope many people can give it a whirl at some point during future outings or events. Thanks for reading, and if there's something I missed in my relaying this story or a question you have, please feel free to ask.

~ Geoff

Last edited:
That is VERY freaking cool!

Fantastic. Just awesome.
A lot of THPers got a chance to meet and spend the weekend with Mike Yagley (and other Cobra/PUMA R&D) at the THP Event earlier this year.

That's so bad ass! Congrats and well done by THP and CPG!!

What a great prize pack, but an even better personal experience with Cobra. Enjoy that driver and looking forward to your thoughts .

That is awesome! Congrats again.

The Titan Tours are fantastic. They look great in the U.S. Open color scheme.

Now that's bad a$$ customer relations right there from Mike & Andy! Sweet looking driver.

That is so cool Geoff. What a personal touch from Mike and Andy.

Truly a custom built personalized club. On and those shoes are incredible looking as well.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

CPG is killing it IMO. Yagley is an awesome guy too and sharing a round with him was a real treat. Hit it well and congrats!

Awesome, Geoff. And awesome of THP and CPG to do this.

That's just awesome. The thing I love most about THP is the opportunity so many of us get to go face to face or at least talk with the most technical and high profile people across the golf world.

If it weren't for THP, the guys from SeeMore wouldn't have invited me to their HQ in Nashville and I wouldn't have the awesome putter I do now.

Enjoy the new driver. It looks awesome. I know you'll love all the stories you'll get to tell on the course. I'd struggle with wanting to put it in a display box in my office :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole package is AMAZING! Congrats again!

What an amazing prize. Congrats!

Awesome prize. Congrats!

Very cool, congrats for winning the contest. Cobra is a top notch company!

Congratulations again. It is a beautiful driver and I hope you hit it well.

Fantastic stuff Geoff! Thanks for sharing the pics! Nice touch by Cobra/Puma with the handwritten note explaining everything done to the 1 of a kind driver!

Awesome club, and great write up. Congrats!

Thanks for the share and congrats...great story line.

Awesome driver, and a cool experience with Mike and Andy. Congrats!

Damn that's badass !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome win and awesome contest! Congrats

I can't get over how cool that is. Congrats again Martsy

Awesome prize! Congrats.

Back