Boeing 787 Dreamliner - Near Vertical Takeoff

That is awesome, would be even cooler to see in person. Now i do agree with a lot of people here not sure the need for this, but it is really impressive none the less.

I'm a documentary nerd and for some reason really enjoy watching things on airline disasters.

While I'm no pilot or anything near I have seen a ton of crashes into mountains where they said if the crew had ten more seconds to pull up they would have been ok.

Now I have no idea if this applies to this takeoff (although I assume it would with the thrust / weight) but couple that with the new ground detection technology I believe this could have saved some lives.

Again I could be completely wrong, I'm by no means an expert .

I'm sure rusty and wedge could confirm or deny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm a documentary nerd and for some reason really enjoy watching things on airline disasters.

While I'm no pilot or anything near I have seen a ton of crashes into mountains where they said if the crew had ten more seconds to pull up they would have been ok.

Now I have no idea if this applies to this takeoff (although I assume it would with the thrust / weight) but couple that with the new ground detection technology I believe this could have saved some lives.

Again I could be completely wrong, I'm by no means an expert .

Actually, if you pulled this degree of pitch with a bunch of fuel and passengers on board you would stall the aircraft and drop straight into the ground.

The CFIT (Controlled flight into terrain) crashes you are talking about is where the crew looses situational awareness and crash into terrain. Hasn't happened much in the last decade due to advances in aircraft technology namely the enhanced GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System). It basically is the airplane knowing exactly where it is through GPS and IRS systems and displaying the outlying terrain on our navigation display. Makes it hard to lose situational awareness in the mountains.

If for some reason we do get in that situation, the aircraft would start warning us of impending CFIT and as we get closer it would start telling us to pull up. Well before that point however we would have started the terrain escape maneuver. We pitch the nose for 20 degrees nose up (the 787 was doing at least 45-50), apply full thrust and ensure the speed brakes are retracted (Google Cali 757 accident. They left the speed brakes extended and had they retracted them they would have survived.) If 20 degrees is insufficient, we pitch the nose up and ride the stick shaker (control column shakes to warn us of an impending stall) until the threat is over. We practice these maneuvers twice a year in the simulator.

Actually, if you pulled this degree of pitch with a bunch of fuel and passengers on board you would stall the aircraft and drop straight into the ground.

The CFIT (Controlled flight into terrain) crashes you are talking about is where the crew looses situational awareness and crash into terrain. Hasn't happened much in the last decade due to advances in aircraft technology namely the enhanced GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System). It basically is the airplane knowing exactly where it is through GPS and IRS systems and displaying the outlying terrain on our navigation display. Makes it hard to lose situational awareness in the mountains.

If for some reason we do get in that situation, the aircraft would start warning us of impending CFIT and as we get closer it would start telling us to pull up. Well before that point however we would have started the terrain escape maneuver. We pitch the nose for 20 degrees nose up (the 787 was doing at least 45-50), apply full thrust and ensure the speed brakes are retracted (Google Cali 757 accident. They left the speed brakes extended and had they retracted them they would have survived.) If 20 degrees is insufficient, we pitch the nose up and ride the stick shaker (control column shakes to warn us of an impending stall) until the threat is over. We practice these maneuvers twice a year in the simulator.

Bam. Knowledge bomb!

It's funny you mention the Cali accident. Just watched about that. It's incredible that guerrillas had destroyed their radar station and it wet unfixed .

It's also amazing the only hit the R on the waypoint computer ( wrong name I'm certain) and it started flying them to the wrong waypoint way far away.

That landing looked terrifying period never mind trying to do it without radar.

I swear I flew with that guy taking off from Guatemala one time, I don't scare easy on a plane and that takeoff had me squeezing the seat and yes my glutes were activated.

Looks great as an island hopper if it can brake as quickly.

Take off on much shorter runways? And if there is a plane turning onto the tarmac while this one is near full speed to take off, it can lift earlier with more discomfort to the passengers than running into the other plane.

No idea, but those are my guesses.

I certainly understand showing the planes short field takeoff capabilities. but I would be more concerned regarding it's short field landing capabilities.

Bam. Knowledge bomb!

It's funny you mention the Cali accident. Just watched about that. It's incredible that guerrillas had destroyed their radar station and it wet unfixed .

It's also amazing the only hit the R on the waypoint computer ( wrong name I'm certain) and it started flying them to the wrong waypoint way far away.

That landing looked terrifying period never mind trying to do it without radar.

Every airline pilot knows about Cali. Every accident is a chain of errors. Break any one of those chains and you avoid the accident. Good stuff came from that accident though, namely enhanced GPWS, better CRM (crew resource management) and better terrain avoidance training. They also started renaming waypoints to avoid having a dozen "R" waypoints within a few hundred miles of each other.

Anyways, sorry to veer away from the OP and his awesome video!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess Tuna sandwiches would not be the food of choice prior to departure.
YIKES!!!

It's practicing for an airshow. Nothing more. I used to regularly go to the worlds biggest airshow at Farnborough. The commercial aircraft were always the most fun to watch as they were doing stuff you wouldn't see them do in normal service. The 380 when it was doing steep climbs and slow steep banks was particularly impressive.

I watched this today. Got to be fun to get cleared to do something such as this when you don't get to do that sort of thing normally. Kinda like that video from the 70s (I think) of the 707 that did the barrel roll.

More amusing than the deck angle on climb out would be that aggressive nose-down to a normal pitch. That's some nice low/zero g fun right there!!

Yikes! It is obviously a demo but, damn. I hate to fly, especially taking off. I have to hit up my doc for a couple xanax when I have to fly. Even then I don't like it.

That is cool and those test pilots have some big balls to try it. :D

Awesome, almost looks like a takeoff from John Wayne Airport!

Awesome, almost looks like a takeoff from John Wayne Airport!

John Wayne airport. Ah yes, one of the only airports where my adrenaline gets s little high. Short runway, little planes everywhere making your life miserable and crazy ass noise abatement rules. Ah yes. John Wayne.

Back