Anyone Try THe GX-7 Driver?

tucsondivots

Fairways and Greens
Reaction score
Handicap
I have seen the commercials on The Golf Channel and Facebook. Looks like a 43", 14 degree loft driver that they claim is like hitting a 7 iron. $199, 60 day money back guarantee. Definitely targeted for seniors and slow swing speeds. Anyone try this?

A friend (and golf buddy) had the club in his bag when we traveled to Disney World for a weekend golf trip in March. I got to hit it from the turf on several occasions and once from the tee, and I thought the club performed as advertised. I thought it was easier off the tee then the fairway, but I still had good results from my fairway shots. My friend is 67 (I'm 57) and fits the description of someone who would benefit from having this club in his bag. It's now late-May and my friend still enjoys using his GX7 as a second driver and as a fairway wood. His scoring is better this Spring, and a big reason is his success with this club. Hope that helps ...

Mike
MPM1960

A friend (and golf buddy) had the club in his bag when we traveled to Disney World for a weekend golf trip in March. I got to hit it from the turf on several occasions and once from the tee, and I thought the club performed as advertised. I thought it was easier off the tee then the fairway, but I still had good results from my fairway shots. My friend is 67 (I'm 57) and fits the description of someone who would benefit from having this club in his bag. It's now late-May and my friend still enjoys using his GX7 as a second driver and as a fairway wood. His scoring is better this Spring, and a big reason is his success with this club. Hope that helps ...

Mike
MPM1960

Thanks for the response. There do seem to be some good independent reviews of this club as well.

My playing buddy uses it, before he had like 5 different drivers and they were more erratic. Since he's got this(shorter shaft, higher loft) his fairway has improved so much, he didnt' even lose distance because he didn't use to hit the driver solid at now. Now he is consistently around 200yrds in the fairway. He gets 80% fairways easy and last week he got 100%.

I can't say anything about the fairway performance as he exclusively use it on the tee.

I played the aeroburner minidriver and it is kind of similar to that.

I have a golfing buddy who has one. He's left handed though, so I've never swung it. He likes it, and he definitely hits it pretty well.

~Rock

I've seen the commercials and the claims seemed a little far fetched but it's really interesting to hear some positives on it.

Kinda looks like a large hybrid in the commercials. What makes it special?

My impression on it is it's a slickly marketed mini driver, and I personally think you'd be better off getting a used Bertha Mini, Aeroburner Mini, or even just chopping your driver way down. But if it works, it works.

at 43" and 14* I would just go get a mini driver from Callaway or Taylormade for probably $100 to see if it helped me out at all.

Or grab a GBB 13.5* head and put it on a 70/80g fairway would shaft cut down to 43".

I have a 13 degree 3 wood in my bag I can use off the tee. The difference between it and even a mini driver besides the shaft length is the lie angle. It is probably easier to hit the more upright lie angle. I won't be switching but to each his own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

at 43" and 14* I would just go get a mini driver from Callaway or Taylormade for probably $100 to see if it helped me out at all.l

Or grab a GBB 13.5* head and put it on a 70/80g fairway would shaft cut down to 43".[/QUOTE

Interesting. I have a Diamana 50 Green shaft on my Epic 3 wood. Maybe put a 13.5* head on it and see what happens.

at 43" and 14* I would just go get a mini driver from Callaway or Taylormade for probably $100 to see if it helped me out at all.l

Or grab a GBB 13.5* head and put it on a 70/80g fairway would shaft cut down to 43".[/QUOTE

Interesting. I have a Diamana 50 Green shaft on my Epic 3 wood. Maybe put a 13.5* head on it and see what happens.

It is something I have thought about doing, if you do so please share your results. The biggest bing I would be worried about would be swing weight and if the shaft flex would play similarly.

I've got a 12.5 degree GBB, animal style - two sliding weights in it with a 3w shaft in it. Works well for me as a second driver.

I bought a Cobra 12* Driver and never looked back. I don't use it in the fairway, just off the Tee.

I have seen the commercials on The Golf Channel and Facebook. Looks like a 43", 14 degree loft driver that they claim is like hitting a 7 iron. $199, 60 day money back guarantee. Definitely targeted for seniors and slow swing speeds. Anyone try this?

Yeah, I got one. This is ridiculous. It is a THREE WOOD. Yes, it's perimeter weighted and has a playable sole, but it won't go as far as your driver unless you can't hit your driver. I did wind up replacing my three wood with this one because it is more consistent and has a bigger sweet spot.

I got the GX-7 from a friend who bought it in the Spring and decided not to keep it in late-July. I've hit it well when I teed it up, but have had mixed results from the fairway ... I am surprised about the sound of this club (wow, is it loud), and am wondering if anyone has figured out how to make it quieter. Any/all suggestions would be welcome ...

Mike
MPM1960

I have a 13 degree 3 wood in my bag I can use off the tee. The difference between it and even a mini driver besides the shaft length is the lie angle. It is probably easier to hit the more upright lie angle. I won't be switching but to each his own.

I was investigating cobras one length irons and discovered it's not the length of an iron that makes it your favorite it's the lie angle. The lie angle suits your swing posture and your height. The flatter the lie angle the farther away the club head is from the center of your swing arc. The farther a weight on a shaft is away from you the greater the perceived weight. That is why longer shafts and flatter lie angles are harder to strike well consistently such as long irons and drivers. Back to the GX7. I thought my preferred lie angle is 63* usually an 8 iron that can vary between manufacturers and models. So if this is like a 7 iron maybe it would be easier and more accurate than my 13* 3 wood. In all their promotions the two bits of information they leave out are the club length and lie angle BTW a 7 iron is usually 62.5*. So I called them up and asked them. My answer was 58*! That is flatter than a 2 iron or my Taylormade driver! I asked how is that like a 7 iron? He said because you use a descending blow like an iron. Excuse me! I am a sweeper and proud of it for many reasons. Liars and deceivers! If you have tried it and like it to each his own. I thought I would share for those considering as I was. Golf technique is an individual adventure.

Good, excuse me, this was a great post. After 60 years of playing golf playing to a 4 handicap I feel like I have seen it...But of course, I HAVEN'T. I believe as you do, a hole-in-one can be hit with any club.

The GX7 team were great in the sales end, quick to take my money, but club was never received as promised. Not able to get an answer to emails for resolution. Wish I could get one from another source.

My GX7 kept me playing golf again

My GX7 kept me playing golf again

Because they are still selling it and I see it all the time on the range and with golf buddies, I need to share my experience (2018). I use the GX7 now as my driver and fairway wood. I leave my driver and 3 wood at home. I will say, being over 60 and a few back surgeries over the years, I cannot do a full hip swing with the driver way behind my back when I am done. So my limited swing is slower than the old days, but deliberate and with the GX7, no fade or slice. I am consistently straight down the fairway, nice trajectory and averaging 200 to 230 off the tee which is fine for me. My farthest distance so far off the tee is 244 yards. Perfectly acceptable to me and the envy of many golf buddies especially with no slice or draw.

With conventional drivers and fairway 3s, I was always playing military golf (left, right, left, right) and very frustrated. With my GX7, I can go help others find their ball and help them catch up to me. My scores are upper 80s or low 90s but I smile and enjoy golf now. Everyone I know who has a GX7 too, don't want to part with it. My friends want to buy used ones from those who have them and they won't let them go either. Something to be said about that. I love consistently sending my shots straight up and down the fairway and stay on the short stuff. Now I am working on techniques to make an intentional draw or intentional slice for those dog-legs and being successful when I need them, not when they just happen to happen.

Because they are still selling it and I see it all the time on the range and with golf buddies, I need to share my experience (2018). I use the GX7 now as my driver and fairway wood. I leave my driver and 3 wood at home. I will say, being over 60 and a few back surgeries over the years, I cannot do a full hip swing with the driver way behind my back when I am done. So my limited swing is slower than the old days, but deliberate and with the GX7, no fade or slice. I am consistently straight down the fairway, nice trajectory and averaging 200 to 230 off the tee which is fine for me. My farthest distance so far off the tee is 244 yards. Perfectly acceptable to me and the envy of many golf buddies especially with no slice or draw.

With conventional drivers and fairway 3s, I was always playing military golf (left, right, left, right) and very frustrated. With my GX7, I can go help others find their ball and help them catch up to me. My scores are upper 80s or low 90s but I smile and enjoy golf now. Everyone I know who has a GX7 too, don't want to part with it. My friends want to buy used ones from those who have them and they won't let them go either. Something to be said about that. I love consistently sending my shots straight up and down the fairway and stay on the short stuff. Now I am working on techniques to make an intentional draw or intentional slice for those dog-legs and being successful when I need them, not when they just happen to happen.

Nice write up. I see your new don’t forget to stop by the check in desk and introduce yourself.

Welcome aboard and glad the club is working for you!!

Nice write up! Some of these clubs seem really gimmicky, but it’s always nice to see one that works as advertised.

Welcome aboard by the way!!

I am 71 years old and for the past two weeks, I have not been able to get my drives off the tee to gain any altitude.

I have a 5 wood hybrid and really like it. I have a 3 wood that I hit well out of the fairway but seem to struggle using my 3 wood off the TEE.

I am seriously considering buying this driver as I too, have seen the advertisement.

I have found one with a senior flex shaft for $169 with a 60 day money back warranty.

I regularly play 2 courses. The 1st one has sand greens and the fairways are hard and I can count on a 40 yard roll. Thus, I can drive off of the Tee with a range of 200 to 240 yards.

The 2nd course is grass greens with a thick grass fairway. When the ball lands, it may roll 5 yards. (Except when I hit the green and it rolls off. ) :act-up:

However, according to the advertisement, this should help me a lot on the lush grass course I play.

Still weighing my options.

Now, to convince the wife. :angel:

Oldman

Ordered GX-7

Ordered GX-7

I found a "Direct From the Factory" used GX-7 Driver with a 30 day money back guarntee if not satisfied on Ebay. Should be at my place on August 8, 2018. (RH and Senior Flex)

As soon as I get it, I will try it out and let everyone know.

Oldman

GX-7 Club

GX-7 Club

Got my new GX-7 this morning and hit a few whiffle balls in the yard.

Went to the golf course this's afternoon and was not impressed. Too hard to find the sweet spot. Teed to high or to low. Couldn't get lift out of the fairway.

To heavy in the head.

Finally on the 9th tee, had a decent drive but way short on distance.

Will try again but so far, not impressed.

It is a Senior flex and my swing speed may be to fast for good results.

Oldman

Back