Trying to Break 80 Club

81 today on a par 72 local muni. Was +3 at the turn. Shot pretty bad on the back 9 today. Slow play killed any momentum I was trying to make. Took 6 hours to play 18!!! I would have skipped holes to jump a few super slow groups but I wanted to see my score. Maybe next weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

So, this weekend at Pittsburgh turned out to be a good week for golf.
38/38 76 on a par 70 course on Thursday. 79 on Friday in Ohio. Sunday was a 39/42 81 with two triple bogey holes on the back. This is hands down the best stretch of golf I have ever played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, this weekend at Pittsburgh turned out to be a good week for golf.
38/38 76 on a par 70 course on Thursday. 79 on Friday in Ohio. Sunday was a 39/42 81 with two triple bogey holes on the back. This is hands down the best stretch of golf I have ever played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting to feel a little sandbagged, Spivey! Haha, that's some really good golf you've been playing recently!

Shot 87 despite only sleeping 8 hours since Thursday night due to a foster puppy. Hit my irons great but driver was lost.

81 yesterday. Two bad tee shots and a three putt cost me my 70s round. But it was one of those rounds that I still felt good after. Tough course that I had never played before.

Finally did it today ... I'm 50 years old, been playing 4-1/2 years now, and shot 79 (37/42 at Pocono Manor East). Seems I've been chasing it for the last year or so, have had sub 40 - 9 holes, but couldn't keep it together for an entire 18.

Funny part is that there was nothing stellar, putting was decent - really concentrated on the 2-3 footers and made all those (but made nothing over 5 ft). I guess the bottom line was there were fewer than usual mistakes. No bad lag putts for a change, only 1 OB shot (hybrid approach on a short par 5 - got greedy, leaned on it trying for an eagle chance, backfired), chipping above average, approach shots on or fairly close to the green, tee shots in play. 10 pars, 1 birdie, 1 double and the rest bogs.

Just curious if I'm above or below the learning curve of most that have managed to break 80 ...

My guess is a lot, if not most, golfers never break 80, so I'd say you're well ahead of the learning curve.

In my limited experience it seems as though your chipping really goes a long way in determining your best scores.

Congratulations!

My guess is a lot, if not most, golfers never break 80, so I'd say you're well ahead of the learning curve.

In my limited experience it seems as though your chipping really goes a long way in determining your best scores.

Congratulations!

I'd have to agree. I believe I saw somewhere that the amount of "golfers" that even hit in the 80's are something like 10-15%. Now you have to imagine they are counting every single person to ever play a round in that stat, but it's still a very low percentage.

Congratulations!

Thanks ! And agree on chipping - my wife gives me hell, but I spend a lot of time over the winter chipping into a recliner with big "X's" in painters tape on it as targets - really helps my chipping !

Finally, my first sub-80 round in about 20 years*.

After a bogie, bogie, double-bogie start, I birdied the down-hill par 3 fourth hole. I then parred the next 9 holes, four of which I was able to get up and down. I finished bogie, par, bogie, par for a solid 77. I do not think I have ever parred 9 holes in a row before.

Most of my bad shots were "good misses" which helped me to get up and down on more than half of the holes where I missed the green. Putting was excellent, and I got a lucky bounce on a drive that could have gone OB.

The icing on the cake was my two-man team won the little tourney we have on Sunday mornings, and I had a closest to the pin.

*Most of the 20 years I only played three or four times a year.

Shot a very loose 81 on a very short retirement community par 70 course today.

Damn...there's a lot of guys shooting, or almost shooting, in the 80's here.

I'm going to start hanging out in this thread, and hope some of your mojo rubs off on me.

I finally did it today and got a 77. Had 4 birdies on the round and never had more than 1 in a round before. I guess its time to sale the clubs and stop on a high note right?

I finally did it today and got a 77. Had 4 birdies on the round and never had more than 1 in a round before. I guess its time to sale the clubs and stop on a high note right?
Congrats! That sounds like a fantastic round you had.

Played 2 rounds this weekend and saw the good and bad each day. Saturday was cut short at number 16, but I was already at 90 for the round. Driver was all over the place and my putting was awful. Sunday was polar opposite. Played a course I haven't seen in 4 years. Driver was spot on after the 3rd hole and my putting was fantastic on the back 9. Shot 7 over on the front with 7 bogeys and 2 pars. Made a small set up change on the 10th hole with my irons and was at 1 under on the back through 7 holes. To that point I had 2 bogeys, 3 birdies and 2 pars. Pulled my tee shot on the par 3 17th and proceeded to chunk my chip and 3 putt for a double. Had a birdie chance on 18, but lipped out.

I nearly did it again yesterday...was +5 heading to the 16th tee but mentally checked out after winning my match. I finished at 83.

Shot 39 in the front, putting well. Ate at the turn and just checked out. Made an 8 on one hole just not focused. Ended with 83. I suppose I'm taking some of the good golf for granted.

Finally did it, first time ever breaking 80 last Friday. Shot a 79, 40-39 @ my home course. I didn't really drive the ball well & put myself in some trouble off the tee that led to 2 doubles. My short game was like nothing I've ever seen before, I think I was more shocked than my buddy I was playing with. I hit 7 greens which is pretty good for me, but I got up and down for par 6 times including a stretch of 4/5 holes. Even tossed in a birdie on a par 3 down the hill, soft little PW to about 20 feet & made the breaking putt fall right in the center. This game is fun! Atleast I know it's in there now, just a matter of repeating that process.

Finally did it, first time ever breaking 80 last Friday. Shot a 79, 40-39 @ my home course. I didn't really drive the ball well & put myself in some trouble off the tee that led to 2 doubles. My short game was like nothing I've ever seen before, I think I was more shocked than my buddy I was playing with. I hit 7 greens which is pretty good for me, but I got up and down for par 6 times including a stretch of 4/5 holes. Even tossed in a birdie on a par 3 down the hill, soft little PW to about 20 feet & made the breaking putt fall right in the center. This game is fun! Atleast I know it's in there now, just a matter of repeating that process.

It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it.

I am officially out of the trying to break 90 club and am now focusing on breaking 80. For the better part of last year I could never get under 92. I went and took and lesson and some small things clicked and for my past 4 rounds I have broken 90. Yesterday I had a chance to break 80 as I was plus 6 through 13 holes. Then the thought creeped in my head that I have a chance to break 80.

After that I shot plus 7 over the next 5 holes. I ended the day bogie bogie bogie double double for 85. The mental part got to me for real. I never posted in the trying to break 90 thread but I followed it. I probably won't post much in here, but as of today I am following this thread.

I am officially out of the trying to break 90 club and am now focusing on breaking 80. For the better part of last year I could never get under 92. I went and took and lesson and some small things clicked and for my past 4 rounds I have broken 90. Yesterday I had a chance to break 80 as I was plus 6 through 13 holes. Then the thought creeped in my head that I have a chance to break 80.

After that I shot plus 7 over the next 5 holes. I ended the day bogie bogie bogie double double for 85. The mental part got to me for real. I never posted in the trying to break 90 thread but I followed it. I probably won't post much in here, but as of today I am following this thread.
DO NOT ADD UP YOUR SCORE TILL THE END!!!

i can't stress that enough, that was the only way I was able to do it, I would keep getting so close and think, if I just go par bogey bogey I could do it and always kill my round. Just write down your score hole by hole and pay no attention to the card.

Shot 39 in the front, putting well. Ate at the turn and just checked out. Made an 8 on one hole just not focused. Ended with 83. I suppose I'm taking some of the good golf for granted.
Food at the turn kills me, every time.
I changed my eating habits around the course - cracker or granola bar on the front and on the back, usually over a two or three hole stretch.
My game has thanked me (at least, that is my claim)!!

DO NOT ADD UP YOUR SCORE TILL THE END!!!

i can't stress that enough, that was the only way I was able to do it, I would keep getting so close and think, if I just go par bogey bogey I could do it and always kill my round. Just write down your score hole by hole and pay no attention to the card.

You know I should really know better because that's what I started to do when I wanted to break 100 and break 90.

I would just play and put whole scores into the card instead of plus 1, 0, -1. I was too lazy to add up 4+5+3+6+4 until the end of the round lol. I will have to go back to that again.

Walked 18 today in 97 degree heat. Shot 47 on the front. I was hitting the ball solid all day but I couldn't putt on the front. Shot 39 on the back for my first time shooting 9 in holes in the 30s. Putted really well on the back. Pretty solid 86. No birdies on the round but mainly pars, bogeys, and even a triple on a par3 ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Food at the turn kills me, every time.
I changed my eating habits around the course - cracker or granola bar on the front and on the back, usually over a two or three hole stretch.
My game has thanked me (at least, that is my claim)!!
Robman was on the same idea at the tournament. Maybe I should start trying it.

Back