What Makes a Players Iron more Workable?

McRock

Reaction score
Handicap
The other day, I was thinking about why people (and in particular, club companies) say that a more compact iron head, the players iron, results in more workability? Why is that? I play M3s now, and I can work them left and right, up and down. I played player's irons before that (muscle cavities), and besides being less forgiving, I would say it was basically the same in terms of being able to "work" the ball. Isn't it just a matter of club head path and face angle at impact? I don't understand how a club with perimeter weighting is less workable than a muscle back blade? Is it the lower CG often found in GI and SGI (to get the ball up) that somehow does it?

I just don't understand how the physics can be that different when it comes to working the ball left and right, up and down. Someone want to help me out?

~Rock

The other day, I was thinking about why people (and in particular, club companies) say that a more compact iron head, the players iron, results in more workability? Why is that? I play M3s now, and I can work them left and right, up and down. I played player's irons before that (muscle cavities), and besides being less forgiving, I would say it was basically the same in terms of being able to "work" the ball. Isn't it just a matter of club head path and face angle at impact? I don't understand how a club with perimeter weighting is less workable than a muscle back blade? Is it the lower CG often found in GI and SGI (to get the ball up) that somehow does it?

I just don't understand how the physics can be that different when it comes to working the ball left and right, up and down. Someone want to help me out?

~Rock

Modern GI irons have moved much of the mass to the perimeter of the club. This does wonders to help minimize deviations by focusing the mass on forgiveness but puts less mass directly behind the ball at impact. Players irons focus more mass in the hitting zone behind the ball, making it easier to manipulate launch and spin.

You can still work the ball with GI irons, it's just that players style irons make it easier and more pronounced.

Mass placement and design.
More spin equals more ball manipulation.

Modern GI irons have moved much of the mass to the perimeter of the club. This does wonders to help minimize deviations by focusing the mass on forgiveness but puts less mass directly behind the ball at impact. Players irons focus more mass in the hitting zone behind the ball, making it easier to manipulate launch and spin.

You can still work the ball with GI irons, it's just that players style irons make it easier and more pronounced.

Mass placement and design.
More spin equals more ball manipulation.
So because the mass in a players iron is behind the ball, it creates more spin? So its not that an SGI iron isnt workable, just that it has less side spin (thus, curving less)? Am I saying this right?

Is it a big difference? Seems like I can work the ball about the same between GI and muscle cavity irons, but thats just me going off memory.

~Rock

So because the mass in a players iron is behind the ball, it creates more spin? So its not that an SGI iron isnt workable, just that it has less side spin (thus, curving less)? Am I saying this right?

Is it a big difference? Seems like I can work the ball about the same between GI and muscle cavity irons, but thats just me going off memory.

~Rock

That is part of it. Other factors such as thinner faces overall, hollow body or cavity designs.

Check out the THP TV spot with Mike Yagley talking about how to create a club and it has some of this as well. While geared towards drivers the elements being discussed are the same.

Back