Putter backswing is coming offline

Hamfist

I promise not to murder Canadan.
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
I usually have a pretty smooth solid SBST stroke. Lately on the backswing the putter is sometimes going outside my target line, sometimes inside, and sometimes going outside to inside.

Any thoughts on what gives? I feel like I'm doing all the basics right, I've just developed this loosy-goosy backswing recently.

Seems like it would almost have to be your shoulder alignment. I sometimes suffer from the same problem-I've learned that if I ignore it i get much better results.

shoulder alignment?
ball position?
distance away from the ball?

Too much arms not enough shoulder rock

Freddy, it's odd in the fact that I haven't changed anything about my swing. I have (I believe) quiet hands and wrists, I swing with my shoulders, head stays still. I seem to be pushing my arms away from my body or pulling them in on the backswing, and can't figure out why. I've developed the Jim Furyk Looping Putter Stroke.

Could be multiple things. If you don't think you have changed your stroke, it is probably shoulder alignment (club generally travels on shoulder line) and when you see that you are going offline you are making conscious adjustments to try and fix. Close your eyes and get back the feel of your stroke.

Well, today I made a couple small tweaks, and they seemed to be working. The first one was simply to increase the amount of pressure in my left hand on the grip. And, keeping my eyes locked on the ball when making the stroke. Made a few, burned a couple edges, lipped a couple out.

Back