Will You Create Your Legacy - 2015 #THPLegacy Event

I'm in the same place you are Rambler. 2 or 3 weeks ago, it seemed like everything was coming together, but now I'm at a total loss. The swing feels forced & I can't get through a round without multiple doubles.
I played in a tournament this past weekend & shot high 80 all three rounds. My handicap is going to jump up when those tournament scores are put in. That pretty much kills my chances of being a single digit by the Legacy.
I'll keep practicing @ working on it, but man it stinks to regress like this.

Handicap is just a number Tom. Playing to your handicap is wayyy more important than the number itself. Everyone that plays with you uses the term steady which is something that is very difficult to beat when it comes to match play. Just keep grinding and you will be fine.

Playing this weekend in Pitt with Ddec was such a great experience. I got to pick his brain a little for Legacy tips and listened to all he had to offer. I also picked the brains of a few others out on the range and at dinner. Some very useful knowledge was dropped on me. With that the excitement builds everyday for this!

My off-rounds never seem to affect my cap adversely.
I just need to tighten a couple things up and get out there in the 70s a few times for the final push.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm in the same place you are Rambler. 2 or 3 weeks ago, it seemed like everything was coming together, but now I'm at a total loss. The swing feels forced & I can't get through a round without multiple doubles.
I played in a tournament this past weekend & shot high 80 all three rounds. My handicap is going to jump up when those tournament scores are put in. That pretty much kills my chances of being a single digit by the Legacy.

I feel you, bud. I really do. I know you're going to keep grinding to get it back, and that's all I can ask for as a team mate.

As an aside, with my swing woes, during my 2nd round, yesterday, I changed-up how I was playing some shots, based on my "new" misses. So, I may take a couple extra clubs, choke down, and hit sawed-off cut to the green instead of what I would normally play. It worked a few times, and that helped my spirits a bit. Find a shot that I can hit, and ride it.

JB, I was wondering if you will be bringing Flightscope along for us to use on the range and dial in our new clubs?

JB, I was wondering if you will be bringing Flightscope along for us to use on the range and dial in our new clubs?
O what a great question, I never even thought about that. Please say yes JB!

JB said he planned on bringing it when I asked him in the flight scope thread. Not sure if that has changed. Certainly I hope not.

I have read two golf books this week. I guess it's better than nothing.

Played in a charity scramble this morning, I tried to go last as much as possible so that I could feel some pressure on needing a good shot. Any little thing to help get ready for #THPLegacy.

Been fighting a head cold the last couple days. I'm feeling Erky's pain right now, it sucks being this close and having something take you out of the game. I'm hoping the weather holds off this afternoon and I can get in some outdoor practice after work. It's supposed to dump buckets on TX (again) over the next few days.

On the upside, I discovered in my last outdoor lesson that the country club GolfTEC uses has nice fluffy sand in their bunkers. Additionally, my normal practice range has really hard packed sand. So I've found where I can practice for all the non-grassy lies we're likely to encounter. I have a bunker lesson scheduled for next week with my coach.

Tom,

When you can get away to springfield let me know and we can play another match. That was fun prep work last time :)

Got another round in late yesterday afternoon. Overall ball striking was so much better. Really only had poor contact on one swing, and that resulted in a penalty. Score wasn't good, but I felt comfortable swinging, and that's what I am really looking for.

I do appreciate the encouragement from everyone, just one more reason I'm looking forward to this event - we're all in this together.

Love seeing all of the dedication and guys grinding it out as we hit the homestretch. Cheering for great golf to be played in July by both sides!

Would love to see that progress report bumped by everybody. I know some people were/are really grinding the last month and some are not as active as others so we dont see how they are doing or hear much about it. Would love to hear from everybody throughout THP.

set up a round at what is probably the nicest public course in the area for this Sunday. As part of a US Open promotion, they're cutting the greens to 12.5 on the stimpmeter. Not sure how that will compare to MB, but it will definitely be practice on faster greens for me.

edit: to answer your post JB, in the middle of a 6 lesson package now with #4 tomorrow. Saw huge improvements early on, then seemed to hit a wall, and just this week swing seems to be clicking again. Getting more distance in my irons now and better trajectory. Been building up endurance with play, trying to hit the range everyday now for the next month (started last week), and playing atleast 1 round/week. Personally...i wish the event was tomorrow. I feel like I'm ready to create my Legacy, I look forward to being under the pressure of that first tee and that 18th green, I can't wait for alt shot, and most of all I can't wait for Sunday singles. I wish it was tomorrow...but i'll gladly take advantage of the extra month of preparation.

Last edited:
Getting close fellas...soak it in and smell the roses along the way. Don't forget to look through the trees and see the whole forest. Vert easy to do and you will miss a lot.

Would love to see that progress report bumped by everybody. I know some people were/are really grinding the last month and some are not as active as others so we dont see how they are doing or hear much about it. Would love to hear from everybody throughout THP.
It feels like I'm making pretty good progress. I saw glimmers of a solid game in Pittsburgh. Mentally I feel like I've made the biggest strides since I really started a more focused effort for this event. Ball striking is pretty solid. Coo troll of my game has never been better. Being able to plan and execute a strategy while on the course is something fairly new for me. Years of just bomb and hope has definitely taken a back seat. Putting and short game will continue to be a focused effort till I get to Myrtle. Missing short putts drives me crazy!

I am really concentrating on getting my mind and body right . I didn't play to well this past weekend other than Saturday. Had some good parts of my game but some things were just downright awful.
Along the way and with the lessons my rounds are now filled with swing thoughts. I won't be abandoning practicing the swing but I am going to switch up the way I do it. I can't allow my mind to negatively impact my game.

My tee game has gone away but again I need to use my mind to my advantage not disadvantage. If driver seems lose that day I need to know to stop forcing it . Long and in the trees does nothing for me but short and in the fairway I am probably posting a good score on that hole. The next month will be all about trusting what I have . I broke it all down now is time to build it up. The flashes are there just need to put it all together.

On the fitness note I am down about 12lbs and at the lowest I have been in about 4 years. I made some drastic diet changes and have really started feeling the positive effect of that in my day to day life and my golf game.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It feels like I'm making pretty good progress. I saw glimmers of a solid game in Pittsburgh. Mentally I feel like I've made the biggest strides since I really started a more focused effort for this event. Ball striking is pretty solid. Coo troll of my game has never been better. Being able to plan and execute a strategy while on the course is something fairly new for me. Years of just bomb and hope has definitely taken a back seat. Putting and short game will continue to be a focused effort till I get to Myrtle. Missing short putts drives me crazy!

Your ball striking was very solid Saturday. Outside of 2 quick tempo tee shots your tee game was solid as well. You certainly had a ton of practice with 3 footers, lock that down and you will b good to go :)

Getting close fellas...soak it in and smell the roses along the way. Don't forget to look through the trees and see the whole forest. Vert easy to do and you will miss a lot.
Great point Buddy!

Over the last few weeks I have met with my swing instructor. Worked on something to tighten the swing up. It really comes down to trusting my swing and this point and not reverting back to my old habits. That being said I have gone to the range, mostly on the weekends, and continue to work what we practiced.

Im getting a practice round with with a few legacy participants this Sunday. Really looking forward to that.

Fitness wise I like were in at, and with Legacy right around the corner, I'd like to see myself a few pounds lighter. I have no doubt that I can fight the humidity at MB, and play at a consistent level.

I'm gonna try really hard to see if I can play some type of tournament prior to Legacy, just give me that experience. I have only played a few scrambles in my life time with my last one being about a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm finally getting the pieces of my game put together well enough that when I relax and trust my swing I do well. My round on Saturday I shot exactly my handicap, but that was with some blow-ups on the back 9 after I got in my own way on a few holes. Like some of the other guys, the biggest challenge for me right now is mental--learning to come back more quickly when I have a bad hole.

The last two months have been marked by consistency and a solid game, led by a tee game that has been resurrected. I feel pretty confident on the tee box lately and it's allowing me to play aggressively and use my wedges to try and score. My wedge play and short iron play is good but I'm never really satisfied with it regardless of where it's at. I always want that couple feet closer to the hole or that slightly better contact.
Last weekend's round was a bit of a dip but I'm going to blame the ridiculous course for that and breath easy because it's not a pattern of poor play just yet.

I'm hoping to play in another local Mini-Tour event next Saturday as part of my mental prep. There's something about playing these big official tournaments that just really challenges every aspect of your game so I'm going to keep putting myself out there as much as I can. After my decent showing at the last one I'm pretty hungry to get out there and try to do better.

Fitness-wise I'm definitely in better shape and I'm down 7 lbs, the main difference being that I find I sweat way less throughout the day than I used to which is really nice. I am struggling to lose more than that but I'm only willing to make realistic changes that I can hold to for the long term. The idea of losing a bunch of weight and then gaining it back again right after Legacy isn't appealing to me.

Another round tonight hopefully at a course I'm less familiar with or a course that I typically struggle on...we'll see how it goes!

I have been working hard on my swing to be consistent along with chipping. Well it is paying off big time. I played Sunday with Ron and shot an 85 the swing felt great and then there was yesterday. I played what would be considered my home course and broke 80 for the first time in my life with a 77! My swing is in the best place it has ever been. When I miss a shot I now have better confidence that I can get the ball on the green and walk away with at least a bogey. Before I was hoping to get a bogey at best because I chipped so bad. Now I just hope that this work I have put in will stay with me and I can perform in MB. Prepping for this tourney has been the best thing for my golf game. I feel like my game has come a long way since starting training for this.

My last 3 rounds before Sunday and yesterday were 97,97,88. So I really feel that the changes are working and I have found the swing I need. There will be no golf this weekend going to the beach and surf instead (if there are any waves). Will get practice in next week and maybe if I am lucky a round on the weekend.

I have been working hard on my swing to be consistent along with chipping. Well it is paying off big time. I played Sunday with Ron and shot an 85 the swing felt great and then there was yesterday. I played what would be considered my home course and broke 80 for the first time in my life with a 77! My swing is in the best place it has ever been. When I miss a shot I now have better confidence that I can get the ball on the green and walk away with at least a bogey. Before I was hoping to get a bogey at best because I chipped so bad. Now I just hope that this work I have put in will stay with me and I can perform in MB. Prepping for this tourney has been the best thing for my golf game. I feel like my game has come a long way since starting training for this.

My last 3 rounds before Sunday and yesterday were 97,97,88. So I really feel that the changes are working and I have found the swing I need. There will be no golf this weekend going to the beach and surf instead (if there are any waves). Will get practice in next week and maybe if I am lucky a round on the weekend.
I saw a solid all around game. It will stick I am sure.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back