General Golf Ramblings, How's Your Season Going/2017 Goals

Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
Howdy Hacker Folk!

I tend to get wordy, so if you have a short attention span or don't care to read random ramblings of a bumbler from Ohio, please feel free to move on. I'll start this off by telling you a little about me. In my late teens to early 20's I played a ton of golf. For a brief time I thought about trying to go pro (VERY glad I didn't, I was nowhere near good enough-shooting par on the 6000 yard wide open local courses I play translates into mid 80's on real courses-and wouldn't have come even close). Life happened (have 3 wonderful sons, 13,12, and 5) and I didn't play much from 23 or so until four years ago. Maybe a couple times a year in a charity scramble or similar. I did compete in long drive comps a few times in my early 20's, but never placed higher than 4th, and that wasn't in a national competition, just a regional one. To an outsider though, I could (and thanks to great technology, still can) hit a ball a long ways. That's all you'll hear on that front, I've found it's a pretty incendiary topic and I've learned to be pretty vague in that area.

Anyways I hadn't played much until 4 years ago for a long time. I found a golf APP and as long as I wasn't overly picky on the time I went, found that I could play most area tracks for 10.00 or so (18 with a cart to boot! Sign me up!). Booked a round at a course 20 miles from home and proceeded to play a great round which included my first ever hole in one (par 4 to boot! In name only, it was a wide open 267 yards) kept it all together on the back nine and ended up shooting a one under 70 for 18. I can only imagine herion addicts feeling similar to what I felt and I was instantly rehooked. I have Thursday off of work most of the time so I play a ton of rounds then. I usually take my little guy with me and we have a grand time of it. He only putts at this point but he is so serious about it, I can only chuckle. He'll line it up (after setting it down 6" from the cup) take exactly two practice swings, then tap it in. He goes to school this fall and I am going to REALLY miss these rounds with him.

On to how this season is going. I started hot, and so far have stayed there. I am very inconsistent. I hit a bunch of shots that look like a pro hit them, then hit shanks, fat, bladed, etc etc that tells everyone that I'm no pro. Heck, I even swung and missed (with a freaking 430 cc driver!) once last year. During an otherwise decent round. How?? Each year I'll have a miracle under par Round or two and then I'll have another round or two that I'm close to or even over 100. Last year for example, I had a 29 (par 36) back nine where I made two eagles and three birdies (luck, I'll be equally shocked if it ever happens again), but I had shot a 44 on the front. An interesting 73. I also played a round with a BIL for the first time. He had heard that I was a solid golfer (not my words). He held up his end of being a "90ish" golfer. I absolutely failed my end. I didn't have a single par. Not one. Nothing worked that day. I think I hit 3 greens (and 3 putted all of them). I didn't add up my total, but it was 100+. Yikes!

This year I've started out hitting it very well. My first round of the year started bogey/double. Btdt. Then something else happened. I started scoring. My irons were WAY off. Horrible. I was hitting them solidly and distance control was pretty much on but they were going 20-30 yards left or right of target. A strange thing happened. I have never had a good short game, chipping and pitching in particular. From 3-15 I constantly left myself in the absolute worst place you can imagine. You know the type, you look at it and think "if I can get this under 20 feet that'll be pretty good". I didn't have a single putt from a chip that was over 4 feet. I didn't hole any of them, but I was a scrambling machine. Step on to 16's tee one over. Proceed to hit a great drive on this drivable 4 and have about 20 feet for eagle. Drain it and I'm now one under. Ended up going bogey bogey for a one over. Crap.

Next round out, again end up 18 holes at one over. This time, apart from missing an 18 footer for eagle on one, I made EVERY putt under 20 feet. I have never putted that well ever before. The rest of my game was a hot mess but when you make every makeable putt the entire round, it sure helps your score. Starting to think that this Smiter guy has the game figured out...

Next round out, play about to my normal level, 7 over. Happy as heck with that, anything in the 70's is always my goal. Nothing noteworthy about that round. Didn't blow up, just couldn't score. Nothing dropped, the chips I'd expect to hit close ended up just outside of auto range, blah. Typical round.

Outside of this I've played nine three times, and I've been +1 all three times. It's been the same nine too, and two of those felt like I should've been 3 under for it (again, couldn't drop a dang putt) and one of them felt like I should have been +8.

Goal for this season for me. Eliminate the 90+ rounds. Interestingly I have very few rounds from 80 to 90. I'm either on or I'm off. I think that on those rounds that I shoot over 90, once I know that things aren't going to break my way, I check out mentally (without consciously doing so) and just make dumb mistakes. My goal this season is to turn those 90+ rounds into 80's. When I have a blowup hole, and I will, I need to stay focused and still try to play good after, knowing that there is no chance to go low. Those 100+ rounds have to go. I'm not great but it's embarrassing to shoot those for me. Anyone playing with me can see that I have a small amount of talent and have no business shooting these type rounds. Even on my horrible rounds, 80+% of my shots look great. I just check out mentally if I know that I'm not going low. I don't want to have one of these rounds ever again. I need to find a way to make my bad round be mid 80's and my horrible rounds to be high 80's. I know a lot of it is due to not practicing/playing as much as I should, but I'd guess that the majority of it is me mentally checking out once I know that I'm not going to shoot par or better.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to stay on point mentally when nothing's going well would be welcome and very well received. I know this is where I struggle but to date haven't found a way to overcome it. And go ahead, give yourself a pat on the back for reading all of this. I told you from the get go that I was wordy.

You ever think about trying some type of golf app like game golf that would give you a better idea of where a majority of your short comings are coming from? I don't have near the talent you do, but you story is similar to mine, and even though I have a little one, I have an amazing wife that wants me to have a hobby I enjoy and lets me play 3+ times a week. And with game golf I have really been able to see where a majority of shots are lost (mid iron approach shots) which allows me to concentrate on what is really hindering my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I just heard about this "game golf" in the past couple days and ill certainly check it out. I know where my main shortcomings are, mainly it's a lack of focus once I know that par isn't achievable. If I had to put a percentage on it the last four years, 75% of my round have been sub 80, 10 percent have been 80-90, and 15 percent have been 90+. To me that is horrible. If most rounds break 80 I should never shoot over 90 and NEVER shoot over 100. But I do both each season.

I just don't know for sure how to fix it, I just want to step up to every shot like it's on Sunday at Amen Corner. I'm just struggling on how to do this. Once a good round skips me by, nothing is off the table. That can happen on 1 or can happen on 14. Sometimes I'll have a blowup hole and still have an otherwise good round, but that is rare. I can't even pinpoint if it's because I try to hard to make birdies or Eagles to compensate and this takes me out of my game or if I just flat out stop caring subconsciously.

At any rate thanks for the response and I'll check out Game golf. And don't sell yourself short. You'd likely beat me at least some of the time. And congrats on the great wife! Mine is Helga the Horrible when it comes to play time for me. I think she expects that me being married to her is enough of a play time each week for me, lol. I get out enough just because I take all of the three boys with me so she can have a quiet second, but if I was to tell her I was heading out alone for a round I'd probably be.... well, it wouldn't be pretty. I'd probably be legally referred to as MrsSmiter or something.

So far this season has been a hot mess with no consistent results. My range of scores this year has been 74-96. I literally have no clue what golfer will show. I put a bunch of hybrids back in the bag though since I was hitting the 5 and 6 iron badly. That said last round I actually felt like things were changing and had a great ball striking round. First time this year I have gained strokes (compared to scratch) on approach shots(outside 100) according to game golf. We will see if the feeling is still there next round.

Back