Time to Stop Worrying about "Growing the Game"?

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
With the success of PXG as well as Callaway getting into the premium iron market, a lot of talk has come up about golf OEM's aren't doing enough to make golf accessible.

Even if you could make equipment more affordable and attainable, you still have to play the game and golf courses are inherently always going to be expensive. Space plus maintenance costs money. Even a municipal course is going to run $20-$30 a round so the fact remains is it even possible to make golf more accessible?

Maybe it's time to realize that golf, much like hockey, is always going to be a sport that is only truly accessible to middle and higher income families?

If indeed the pundits are correct, the middle class is going the way of the dinosaur, there will be no way to grow the game. There won't be enought higher income people to keep the game expanding.

On a more positive note, a game that was born of hitting a ball with a stick in a field, will never go away.

Shrug i'll play and i'll get whoever I can to play it till i get burned out or can't afford it.

That's why preowned used and old clubs are good get them at a better rate twilight rates are good too

If you stop growing the game then you'll have less new blood and some OEMs will go away and that will be bad for consumers

Also JDM market has been around for a while and that is expensive stuff so it might not be a money thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrug i'll play and i'll get whoever I can to play it till i get burned out or can't afford it.

That's why preowned used and old clubs are good get them at a better rate twilight rates are good too

If you stop growing the game then you'll have less new blood and some OEMs will go away and that will be bad for consumers

Also JDM market has been around for a while and that is expensive stuff so it might not be a money thing

I think there will always be new players to the game. People with the means to be able to play recreationally will always be there.

I've started to think this way too. I'm not sure how you bring the cost down and still maintain high quality equipment and courses.

In our area they have a pretty good membership program that at least helps. $80 a month for a family membership at several area courses where you can play unlimited golf. The two major courses have started catering a little to newer players as well by making junior/beginner tees that are moved way up. There are several other perks to the membership but strictly golf speaking it's a good deal.

I think there will always be new players to the game. People with the means to be able to play recreationally will always be there.

If they want to...

And by that I mean if courses and equipment options go away the amount of people playing will be fewer so tougher to get a round in - half of my enjoyment is meeting new people

I've started to think this way too. I'm not sure how you bring the cost down and still maintain high quality equipment and courses.

In our area they have a pretty good membership program that at least helps. $80 a month for a family membership at several area courses where you can play unlimited golf. The two major courses have started catering a little to newer players as well by making junior/beginner tees that are moved way up. There are several other perks to the membership but strictly golf speaking it's a good deal.

Wow 80 a month for families? How could you not want to join? I see your in SD, is it a nine hole course? To me it seems like that would be a money loser, unless they are hoping people stay for food and booze.

Here in AZ memberships are a a bit more expensive, for me it's 2000 a year, unlimited cart and golf after noon, or you can do all day any time for 3000. Plus 25% off food and merchandise. So it's kinda a no brainer for me, plus it AZ, we get to golf 50 weeks a year. (2 weeks course close for seeding)

There are actually two nice 18 hole courses in town and probably another 6-8 courses within an hour of town. There are other perks too like free bowling, free movies, zoo discounts, free fitness center's and a few others. The membership numbers are huge, I'm guessing that's how they are able to offer it.

The two major courses have started catering a little to newer players as well by making junior/beginner tees that are moved way up.

I don't understand why more courses don't even consider beginners and junior players. Expecting someone who only hits 120 yard drives to play 5000 yards is just cruel.

Twilight deals are still affordable here in North Texas and teeoff and other sites still give good discount rates. I do have a lot of friends that can only afford to play on a minimum basis due to costs. I may also buy everything pre-owned in the future. I would like for my son to get lessons but I can't afford spending $$$ getting him up to speed. Bad enough paying for cheerleading and 3 other select sports.

A large segment of courses in orlando have solid junior programs with tees and clinics. Golf is affordable through GolfNow and twilight fees. Equipment can be had for a solid price and I'm not talking old gear but a couple years old.

I see the lack of people coming out due to the amount of time they have to dedicate in lessons and playing the game. The courses are still crowded on the weekends and early morning during the week. All my instructor buddies have crowded lesson sheets and the ranges are littered with father son combos when I go. Expecting huge growth is not realistic. I think it's normalized from years prior when we had huge growth years.

I think this also becomes a choice thing. How many people claim the game is to expensive but go out for dinner all the time, drink heavily, smoke, have other hobbies they spend just as much on. Golf is expensive but conforming to the idea of being cheap is bad for the game imo.
I also have the opposite viewpoint from most that certain things should be expensive and hard to obtain (clubs) there is more satisfaction when you get to the point if purchase and I think it teaches how to save towards something.

Expensive is also relative. I think every area has a cow pasture course that costs next to nothing to play. To expect to play the best of the best for next to nothing is a problem with society and not understanding the difference between needs and wants/ fighting the class system. These are all personal opinion of course and I judge no one as that is not my place.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think this also becomes a choice thing. How many people claim the game is to expensive but go out for dinner all the time, drink heavily, smoke, have other hobbies they spend just as much on. Golf is expensive but conforming to the idea of being cheap is bad for the game imo.
I also have the opposite viewpoint from most that certain things should be expensive and hard to obtain (clubs) there is more satisfaction when you get to the point if purchase and I think it teaches how to save towards something.

Expensive is also relative. I think every area has a cow pasture course that costs next to nothing to play. To expect to play the best of the best for next to nothing is a problem with society and not understanding the difference between needs and wants/ fighting the class system. These are all personal opinion of course and I judge no one as that is not my place.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I agree 100%.

My old golf buddies moan that they can't afford golf but they spend all their money upgrading their vehicles every 3 years. It's all about choices and decisions. They also have the attitude that the nicest golf courses should be charging half what they charge but refuse to play twilight or go off early.

No need to grow the game I already have Weekday rounds at 4.5 hours 50% of the time.

Last edited:
During the week...in the am

It's literally the most played golf course in the United States. They pride themselves on how many 9 hole walkers they can put out in front of groups making the turn

Ive maintained this same thought many times on these forum pages. I don't think there is anything really wrong with golf nor that it necessarily needs to grow. There doesn't need to be a player in every household. There never was and there never will be. I think too many in the industry are comparing it to the recent greatest influx the game ever seen and that in itself is not a fair comparison for many reasons.

Golf is also far from the only recreation that's been hurt by economics as well as the evolving changes in societies. Skkiing for one has taken a huge hit the past couple decades. But othe more simple things like just taking the fam to the beach, or a night out on the town, or even just to the movies. Economics and changes in the way society conducts itself are both going to affect just how much any recreation gets participants. When I say changes ( evolving) society I mean everything from money, time, and but also "general interests" in the things we need to do, want to do and chose to do.

Golf is not easy either and its not for everyone. It a process for sure, Even if one has the financial means and also the time they still may not have nor want to put in the effort that's involved. In the end golf never was dominant as for being in most households nor does it have to be , nor should it be imo.

Wow 80 a month for families? How could you not want to join? I see your in SD, is it a nine hole course? To me it seems like that would be a money loser, unless they are hoping people stay for food and booze.

Here in AZ memberships are a a bit more expensive, for me it's 2000 a year, unlimited cart and golf after noon, or you can do all day any time for 3000. Plus 25% off food and merchandise. So it's kinda a no brainer for me, plus it AZ, we get to golf 50 weeks a year. (2 weeks course close for seeding)

#Jealous

I'm not sure you ever stop growing the game, but you have to let the numbers organically grow versus forcing on people bc the powers that be are freaking out over rounds played.

I think kids have other options that are cheaper and more accessible.

Last edited:
I think time is a big issue. It's hard to take hours out of a day to go play. The world moves fast and finding that time is becoming more difficult.

I get tired of the phrase "growing the game" and people acting like it's every golfers' responsibility to help grow it. We all ask people we like to do things we like with us but we don't say we're "growing the game of poker" or "growing the game of Call of Duty" or "growing the activity of backyard BBQing".

The phrase is positive propaganda for an industry that got worried the $billions were shrinking.

I think the game is safe and fine whether I intentionally try to grow it or not. There will always be those who try to increase participation because their livelihoods depend on it and there will be others who do so passionately with no ulterior motive.

I don't think anyone should ever give up on "growing the game". I think we should always encourage others to play and try to encourage the younger folks to try it. I personally think it would be nice for golf to be more accessible and less of a "rich person's" game, but I don't think it's going to go away if it is not. Reality is club companies and golf courses are in the business of making money, and prices will be set so that they can do so. I think it's going to take more creative measures to make a change in things to really grow the player base more.

I play munis in NYC and play with a diverse group of people all the time. You don't need to be rich to golf. I don't think you can fault OEMs. Their bottom line is that they need to make money to stay in business and its a tough business. The availability of used clubs really cuts costs.

I think what hurts the game more is a ridiculous sticking to orthodoxy about culture, rules, etc.

I get tired of the phrase "growing the game" and people acting like it's every golfers' responsibility to help grow it. We all ask people we like to do things we like with us but we don't say we're "growing the game of poker" or "growing the game of Call of Duty" or "growing the activity of backyard BBQing".

The phrase is positive propaganda for an industry that got worried the $billions were shrinking.

I think the game is safe and fine whether I intentionally try to grow it or not. There will always be those who try to increase participation because their livelihoods depend on it and there will be others who do so passionately with no ulterior motive.

Yes! The way I see a lot of people talk about golf makes it sound more like a religion than a hobby. Nobody has an obligation to "grow the game". If you enjoy it, play it. If you get someone else into it, great. In my eyes the real influencers in the game aren't very interested in making the game accessible, so I don't see why the weekend hackers should shoulder that burden.

Back