TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Is this really a tempo club, dont try to hit it too hard just let it do its own thing? Really wanna give this the best crack when it arrives.

Is this really a tempo club, dont try to hit it too hard just let it do its own thing? Really wanna give this the best crack when it arrives.
This is a hit it in the center and you'll love it club. Miss though, not so much.

Took mine out again last week because it had been months, same story. It's a bomber, sounds great, looks badass, but its not what I would class as forgiving.

This is a hit it in the center and you'll love it club. Miss though, not so much.

Took mine out again last week because it had been months, same story. It's a bomber, sounds great, looks badass, but its not what I would class as forgiving.
Are any of the "mini drivers" that forgiving? I felt this and the Callaway Deeps weren't all that forgiving.

Maybe with the Aeroburner and the Bertha 1.5 that has changed but I have yet to try those

Are any of the "mini drivers" that forgiving? I felt this and the Callaway Deeps weren't all that forgiving.

Maybe with the Aeroburner and the Bertha 1.5 that has changed but I have yet to try those

Whoops, actually read the title on Tapa as the standard SLDR thread, not the mini, totally different beast. Sorry!

I thought the mini was really nice, didn't care for the feel/sound, but it looked badass and WENT for me. The Aero is a good advance on it too, it and the 1.5 are surprisingly forgiving.

Whoops, actually read the title on Tapa as the standard SLDR thread, not the mini, totally different beast. Sorry!

I thought the mini was really nice, didn't care for the feel/sound, but it looked badass and WENT for me. The Aero is a good advance on it too, it and the 1.5 are surprisingly forgiving.
Maybe it is just me with the older minis...I just didn't seem to get along with them...but to each their own

Thanks for the feedback. Mine should arrive friday in time for Saturday comp. I'll post feedback then :)

What do y'all think of this club off the deck so far? I've only tried my at the range and did pretty well. For some reason I have struggled with the shallow face fairway woods but used to bomb the deeper face ones of past.

I never really liked the 12 off the deck, appearance of face didnt give me a great deal of confidence and as someone that picks the ball off the deck rather than taking any form of divot it felt like it wasnt going to fly because it wasnt going to be far enough up the face.

Last edited:
SLDR Mini in 14 has arrived at work today. Looks much nicer than the 12 degree to hit and I do believe I could pick balls off good lies if needed. Straight into the bag for tomorrows club comp. The only annoying thing is that I am sure they have sent me a driver headcover... I am certain my old 12 had a fairway sized cover it feels huge.

I have the same club the head cover fits just right. Sounds like they did send you the driver cover if its big and baggy.

Definitely the drive cover. Just using Stage 2 3 wood cover and all good.

Played Saturday and absolutely loved this thing in 14 degrees. I think the biggest mistake anyone can make with this club is over hitting it. Hitting it too hard results in a ballooning shot shape which I really dont like. Let the club generate the pace and its beautiful.

Used it through 7 par 4's and found myself off the fairway only once and approximately 12 - 15 meters or about 16 yards at most short of my driver. Funnily enough it left me in areas where I had better shots at the flag than I normally would from my drives which was really interesting.

I was able to also hit some lower trajectory balls into wind if needed but often that lost about another 5% distance I'd say due to not reaching a peak arc.

Really happy with this as a three wood replacement from the tee or safe driver alternative over the Stage 2 3 wood. Very happy with the 14. Just have to get used to tempo.

I just got done with my second round of nine with this club. I'm finding it to be a very useful but interesting club. I had a fairly high but consistent draw with the club. and if I miss hit a little low on the face I hit a low shot that has a lot to roll out and I really don't lose any distance. Once I learn how to control that it can come in very handy on when your days when I need to keep the ball a little lower. So far I'm very pleased with my purchase.

I decided to give my 14* a whirl of the fairway and was pleasantly surprised. Straight as an arrow and longer than I expected. Definitely requires a perfect lie though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find so long as its a flat lie its ok off the deck. I think though I'd rather be hitting something to either lay up, or which had more loft to try and stop it somehow. Either way its not terrible. The main times will be a par 5, my local course has 3 and only 1 really has a chance of going at the green in 2 for me, so not missing my 3w at all.

Wow! Rockbottom Golf is selling these on eBay for $99.

Doubt I would be able to find these at any of the box stores to hit, so I'm wondering about which loft. Currently gaming a 12° SLDR-S with a 14° launch angle. I hit my driver with PLENTY of distance at 260-275 but have been struggling lately with control and would love to try one of these out.

Should I stick with a 12° or go with a 14°?

#pondermode

Last edited:

Doubt I would be able to find these at any of the box stores to hit, so I'm wondering about which loft. Currently gaming a 12° SLDR-S with a 14° launch angle. I hit my driver with PLENTY of distance at 260-275 but have been struggling lately with control and would love to try one of these out.

#pondermode

You don't have to even eBay it - the deal is on the regular website.

#pondermode

I have the 12* in the TP version. Plenty of loft as a driver replacement.

I love the 14°

I went ahead and ordered the 14° as my goal with this club is first off increased accuracy. But also to give me some additional yardage when i need a little more off the tee than the 4w but regular driver distances can get me in trouble, which my home course has plenty of these holes.

Lesson learned over the weekend...

I normally tee my balls up slightly higher than average for my driver as I hold it 1" short, so naturally a bit higher is perfect for club face return...

With the mini, I dont told it short... Hit the highest sky ball ever with it tee'd slightly too high. Dead straight, only 80 meters though. To be fair after that I did smash a 4h pin high just off the right and chipped in for 6 skins but I don't see that always working.

TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Hit the range with my new (to me) SLDR Mini to see how I hit it vs. my driver.

2 buckets later, and it's no contest. X2Hot all the way. I couldn't get the Mini more than 10 feet off the ground, no matter where or how I teed it up.

Thankfully I got it so cheaply on the 'bay that trading it in for credit will be just as good as attempting to turn around and sell it. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After two rounds and three range sessions with the Mini TP in the bag I have one word: Legit.

Easily getting 250-260 total with great trajectory and roll. I am more than willing to give up 10-15 yards of potential distance for increased potential accuracy. This thing is a fairway finder for me.

After two rounds and three range sessions with the Mini TP in the bag I have one word: Legit.

Easily getting 250-260 total with great trajectory and roll. I am more than willing to give up 10-15 yards of potential distance for increased potential accuracy. This thing is a fairway finder for me.
I couldn't agree more. I'm probably averaging 10-15 yds less but that doesn't mean I haven't whacked a few just as far as my regular SLDR. Absolutely digging this club.

#LEGIT

It really makes want to track down one of the 430cc models in 10.5°

Lesson learned over the weekend...

I normally tee my balls up slightly higher than average for my driver as I hold it 1" short, so naturally a bit higher is perfect for club face return...

With the mini, I dont told it short... Hit the highest sky ball ever with it tee'd slightly too high. Dead straight, only 80 meters though. To be fair after that I did smash a 4h pin high just off the right and chipped in for 6 skins but I don't see that always working.

The way TM shaped the leading edge and the crown on these, they're a sky mark looking for a place to happen. I haven't sky marked a golf club in years, but my very first session with my Mini, I put two of them on there.

It's not just over swinging with a smaller headed club either. I have a LT2W that is pristine.

Back