I enjoy reviewing and I think I do an above avg job at it but can definitely improve

I have a wee bit of a passion for reviewing golf equipment.

I like to try new equipment, but that is generally where it ends for me. I don't buy anymore, so long term testing/review is sort of difficult.

When I do try out new things, I find I run out of ways to talk about it very quickly. Things like "I like the feel", "I like the sound", "I hit it well", become pretty boring quickly unfortunately.

If I like it, I say so, if I don't, I also say so. Maybe a bit too blunt.

Only 3 or 4 people on the forum actually review equipment, the rest of us provide feedback, share our experiences, stay active in threads, answer questions, etc. I like doing the latter quite a bit. I am pretty certain I would enjoy doing actual reviews too, but I recognize it would be different - all references to "I" and my game would exit. It would be fun.

After doing some digging, I think you guys (meaning the forum) do review equipment. The staff writers do it in long form, which is a bit different, but I think all reviews are reviews. I enjoy the heck out of all types of feedback.

For some reason in golf, it is looked at as a negative to have opinion come into play. Of course it does. Half of reviews are subjective despite what is put out online, and it's up to the reader to determine if they enjoy the expertise they get from an outlet. One question I always wonder is if a golfer very much likes a certain type of equipment, can they still review other types and be effective? Or would they even want to?

For me, I enjoy reviewing the other things that may not fit me and my game well, or at all. It is however a difficult task in a lot of ways, a challenge really, to look beyond the personal and look solely at the design. Sometimes it makes for a much clearer review upon completion imo.

Club Reviewing

Talking to a gentleman at the airport today about golf equipment and reviewing that takes place. Be it on the THP Forum or in article form, do you like to review golf equipment? Do you think you do it well? Or are you more of you know what you like and end of story?

Were his legs spread and did he have shoes on?

I only do my reviews on the forum

I thoroughly enjoy reviewing equipment - I think I do a good job of feel and I need to do more of the actual numbers and data

Last edited:
Yeah pretty much exact opposite. It's the main reason I don't put in for a lot of review opportunities. I know how I am and what I like to play so if it doesn't fit then let another who may truly benefit get the opportunity. Of course all feedback is great in a review, I just feel like I would be a jerk providing feedback based on how it doesn't fit my game. It goes back to again, reviewing based on design and what it claims to do but it's difficult and not for everyone
This is me exactly.

Even at club Clash I pretty much had zero surprises on the clubs I hit. Maybe on rankings a bit but on what is successful for me I pretty much knew going in. I could give an opinion on other things but I don't think it would do any benefit if it doesn't fit me at all.

That said Kang I think we both have hit /owned so much equipment and tried it all in our own time we are rarely surprised or go out side our box of thinking so to speak.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This is me exactly.

Even at club Clash I pretty much had zero surprises on the clubs I hit. Maybe on rankings a bit but on what is successful for me I pretty much knew going in. I could give an opinion on other things but I don't think it would do any benefit if it doesn't fit me at all.

That said Kang I think we both have hit /owned so much equipment and tried it all in our own time we are rarely surprised or go out side our box of thinking so to speak.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Yeah man. I know we've tried a lot of clubs, even ventured into some clubs out of our norm. But lengthy club hoing does teach what is best suited for that individuals game lol

I like trying new gear but I don't do the reviews in a way that would do THPers justice and its why I don't put in for reviews for the most part. Descriptive writing isn't my strong point so I end up giving basic initial thoughts and then go on repeat after a few rounds. THP staffers do great at this and so do some non staffers, its just not my strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i absolutely love it. i'm not good about removing myself from the review like james, dan and dean are, but i really enjoy testing and sharing the experience. it's so fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy reading reviews of golf equipment--that's how I got here--and have learned to enjoy testing and reviewing equipment as well. Reviewing is not easy, especially if a product doesn't particularly fit my game/swing. In all cases, I try to keep an open mind and share my personal experience, good or bad. I try to learn as much about the attributes of the product, so that I can share thoughts on how it might help someone's game, even it doesn't particularly work for me. I try to use data to support my observations/experiences, preferably my own rather than just that provided by the manufacturer. Fortunately, I have kept detailed stats on my game for years, and that comes in handy. I can't comment on whether my reviews are good, but my intent is to be honest and helpful when I get the opportunity to test something.

It is loads of fun! There is something very addicting in getting to test and review equipment that other people haven't hit yet. It is also a challenge to try and balance opinions while remaining semi objective, and more importantly, honest. I have been fortunate enough to review a couple of products here, and it has given me a greater appreciation for the staff writers.

That said, I do not envy the staff writers here, as the amount of time and effort that goes in to reviewing one product is daunting... add multiple products and I don't know how they find the time or the energy.

Yes I like to review golf equipment and I think I could do it will. That being said there are some pieces of golf equipment I would be willing to put the necessary time in to do a quality unbiased review. Mostly what is provided on the forums is a quick assessment of how a product may or may not work and could include some bias. While I do know what I like, as long as I provide the criteria for my review, it won't make the review any less valuable.

For me it's a lot of fun to provide feedback to this forum. I believe that I have performed more than adequately the few times my number has been called to be an official THP reviewer. Officially, I have been a tester/reviewer on THP for the Green Sleeve & recently the KBS Prototype Hybrid shaft. I also enjoy participating in an unofficial capacity in review threads of gear that I have happened to purchase.

This year e1iterate and I helped create the retail employee training for the Q-Star Tour by Srixon Golf. That was a truly cool experience. I really like the staff reviews here, but tend to give more credence to the feedback provided by regular forum members.

In my option, this type of peer reviews is the future of product testing and reviewing, making traditional reviews performed by places like Golf or Golf Digest obsolete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's my favorite thing to do on my website other than podcasts.

As someone who is still relatively new to playing over the last few years, I always enjoy trying all kinds of new equipment. It probably leads to me spending way more money than I should but I like trying things out. I'm starting to figure out what things work for me and don't work for me and I'm probably a bit of a numbers geek. I just don't have access to trackman and most shops around me don't have a huge selection of LH stuff for me to try in stores. I do think from the many different sets of clubs I've tried over the last couple of year that I am starting to see what will actually help make me a better play in combinations with bettering my swing.

I like reviewing gear, I enjoy writing about things and experiences and I like seeing what new gear can do for my game.

I especially enjoy the experiences I've had here for THP since I'm a higher handicapper. I know far more golfers with my style game than someone who regularly shoots in the 70's, so when I get the opportunity to review I know that there are a lot of people that are going to get something out of my experiences that may help them. I'm sure that everyone who reads or watches a review here on THP knows it's unbiased from an average every day golfer, and being a part of that experience is definitely enjoyable.

I will try anything and give an honest opinion, since I do play quite a bit it would be more on Course than range but the joy of just trying different things is part of the game for me. What Kang mentioned about gravitating to what you like is very true IMO, but I think most of us could give it the we could at just being honest about what we see and feel from a club.

I love to review equipment. I don't necessarily have specific brand biases, but I know what type of equipment I prefer. My problem is I always feel bad about it if I get the chance to review something and I don't like what I'm reviewing. It makes it hard to give updates on something if you no longer want to game it. This is why I don't put my name in to some of the testing opportunities.

In a situation like this, what should we do? Pass it on to someone else to continue the review? Or continue to try the piece until the review timeframe is complete? I'd love some input on this.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I enjoy reading and doing club reviews, but it's hard. Easy when you like the product, not as much when you don't. Also tricky when it's a club and you have hot and cold success with it, cause it's hard to separate the club from the person swinging it.

It always makes me appreciate the work our staff writers do day in and out, because it's tough work sometimes and they make it look easy

I have really enjoyed reviewing the matrix hybrid shaft. Makes me think about my game a little differently. Also pay a little more attention to what I am doing.

I really enjoy reading reviews of clubs. I have had the opportunity to review/test clubs here and really have enjoyed the experience especially as a average joe golfer. I just do not get on the course as much as I would like to give a full and honest view of clubs.

I really enjoy reviewing equipment but it has to be something I'm interested in. Unfortunately life is so busy it would be tough for me to review something I truly wasn't intrigued by. When I do have time to get on the course and try out equipment I don't want to spend time on something I have no intention on ever playing.

Something I've come to appreciate when both reading and also doing reviews is noticing more details about equipment. In the past I would only thing about sound, feel and distance. Now I'm taking spin, flighting and playability, forgiveness and a ton of other things in to consideration. It's really made equipment more fun.

I've been lucky enough to win a Cleveland Elevado and thanks to THPAmibition won an F7. While I'd like to think I've done as good as I can given my limited amount of rounds, I look back on my thoughts and they pale to most reviewers imo. It's a matter of practice, as I believe my efforts with the driver have been an improvement. Still there are a ways to go.

Providing thoughts on golf balls is probably the easiest, since there is a clear understanding of how balls typically react to a variety of shots.

As far as enjoying the experience, I'll admit to it being a bit stressful to post after not having success. That said, I think there are plenty of hi cappers like me that can relate to struggles AND successes. Every bit of feedback is welcome as long as it's honest.

I think it depends on the person. When it comes to thp I think the staffers do a good job of being unbiased but at the same time I think time it comes down to the readers. You can only do a review and hope people get the feeling of which you're writing. People today are gonna take things the way the way they want to.

Back