MacTS

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

I am looking at getting new irons. today I play Callaway X18. I can get good price on either Wilson D-200 and Cobra BioCell and I have read both review threads here and both seem to get great reviews. I play at hcp 21 at the moment with the intention to at some day get down to single hcp. Easy, long and straight are good things that I value.

Anyone that have gamed both and can give an opinion? Or opinions from general perspective are also appreciated.

I have both. Quite different. The closer comparison would be Bio Cell to C-100 in my opinion. D200 is going to be higher launching and more forgiving through a larger perimeter weighting. Both are solid irons. I preferred the sole design of the D-200 set and the high ball it wanted to hit.

I haven't played the wilsons, but i did just buy the Bio cells for no other reason then the price was a steal and wanted another set sitting around. So far had them to the range 2x and played 18 on saturday. Love them so far, they play well, easy to hit, launch high and ball striking feels good off the face. I normally play the XR's, but i have to say the Bio's are easier to hit for me with far less negative feedback on mis hits. The XR's are harsh if you don't hit it square. Really enjoying the bio cells. Another nice thing about them is they have a thin top line unlike anything i have seen in the GI category.

If you value easy, long and staight I would lean towards the D200's or Callaway Big Bertha's.

I have both. Quite different. The closer comparison would be Bio Cell to C-100 in my opinion. D200 is going to be higher launching and more forgiving through a larger perimeter weighting. Both are solid irons. I preferred the sole design of the D-200 set and the high ball it wanted to hit.
Thanks! I want forgiveness:)

I haven't played the wilsons, but i did just buy the Bio cells for no other reason then the price was a steal and wanted another set sitting around. So far had them to the range 2x and played 18 on saturday. Love them so far, they play well, easy to hit, launch high and ball striking feels good off the face. I normally play the XR's, but i have to say the Bio's are easier to hit for me with far less negative feedback on mis hits. The XR's are harsh if you don't hit it square. Really enjoying the bio cells. Another nice thing about them is they have a thin top line unlike anything i have seen in the GI category.
Thanks!

If you value easy, long and staight I would lean towards the D200's or Callaway Big Bertha's.
The new Berthas are out of my budget at the moment. I am sure they are good though

I don't think you can go wrong with either set.

I have had my D200 in play for two rounds now (both this weekend) and I can tell you the forgiveness is off the charts. And the sole design works great for mishits coming through the turf, on everything but the worst of swings, which I no doubt put on several of those this weekend. But when I hit the ball relatively clean, the results were nothing less than amazing.

I will go and test both sets this thursday (and perhaps a few more), and hopefully I will make a decision then and buy a set

I've seen both. Never hit either. But sure love the look of the Wilson's. Hit them both and take home the one that feels/plays the best for you.

Mark Shuman

I've seen both. Never hit either. But sure love the look of the Wilson's. Hit them both and take home the one that feels/plays the best for you.

Mark Shuman

Thanks, yes that is the plan.

Today I went to the store and tested D-200, C-100 and BioCell. They all felt good but the numbers showed that I hit the D-200 best. They were the longest and straightest for me so I bought them. Also bought a new Cobra Big Trusty 50 wedge to replace a Callaway 52 that I have some trouble hitting well. When I arrived at my home course I started hitting a bucket at the range and the went to play a few holes. The first hole is a short par 4 with a steep dog leg left which I normally play 6 iron, pw and then hopefully putt (or some chipping if green is missed). Now I grabbed the 7 iron, made a good shot from tee, played the 50 wedge and then 1 putted for birdie.....so the clubs must be good

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Glad you got hooked up. Enjoy the new sticks.

Mark Shuman

Back