Are You a Good Chipper?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you control your speed well? Hop and stop? Wasting strokes around the green? Do you consider yourself a good chipper or pitcher or bump and runner?

Bump and run with a splash of Texas wedge action for me. Love any chance to get my hands on the wedges.

I'm would not consider myself good at any aspect of the short game so that's what I focus my practice time on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh god no. Pretty sure im top 10 worst on thp.

Nope. Improving a little bit but this is an area where I waste strokes.

I used to be more of a bump and run kind of guy but since I have got a 56 and 60 I prefer to hop and stop. I honestly don't feel as comfortable anymore bump and running.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I save myself a lot of strokes around the greens. My go to shot is a bump and run with a good amount of check after the first hop. It's a shot i've hit thousands of times, and have a great amount of confidence in.

This year I've been better than in several years. There's still a lot of improvement to be made but I'm probably saving myself 2-3 strokes over the past couple years.

Simplicity has been key. I use my 52* wedge for almost every chip.

This is the area of my game that needs the most work I think.

I'm avg and working in getting better. Hop n stop is a shot i plan to learn this year

I'm comfortable with the notion of "Chip and a Putt for Par" on a hole.

Hope it's fair to say I'm an above average chipper. Love hitting little flop shots. Working to improve chip & run shot.

P.S. bunker shots are currently excluded for the talent claim mentioned above!

My wedge game might as well be on the back of a milk carton it's been missing so long.

I am a terrible chipper. The X-Act Chipper has done tons to help my chipping though. Some might call it cheating, I call it making the game easier!

It is the bump and run style shot that gives me the most trouble. That area needs a lot of improvement. I feel like I am a little better with longer pitch shots. 35 yards out with a 60º I feel I will be all over the pin.

There are days where I'm spot on and stick everything within 4'. And then there are days where I can't hit the broad side of a barn. Such is golf.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I like to work the trajectory quite a bit depending on the shot needed. With the rtx3 56 and 60 I am very confident around the greens

I am very streaky when it comes to chipping. I work on it, but I just can't seem to gain any consistence. I really want to try to learn to stop the ball and I think that I would bring more consistent results.

It is the bump and run style shot that gives me the most trouble. That area needs a lot of improvement. I feel like I am a little better with longer pitch shots. 35 yards out with a 60º I feel I will be all over the pin.

Bump and run from 15 yards and in because I've been doing it for so long. This video is old and I've linked to it before but it is a really good primer on bump and run:

Chipping up from around the greens, think this is one of my strengths, especially from tight lies. Once the heavy rough gets involved - well, I need to work on some technique. I was just missing greens a bunch in my last league round and ended up going up and down 3 out of 4 times where I had a realistic shot.

Chipping up from around the greens, think this is one of my strengths, especially from tight lies. Once the heavy rough gets involved - well, I need to work on some technique. I was just missing greens a bunch in my last league round and ended up going up and down 3 out of 4 times where I had a realistic shot.

My league round last week was similar. 1/9 on GIR but made 6 pars :)

I would say average for someone with my cap. Pretty weak when it comes to flop shots but decent at standard shots from the fairway to a pin 10-20 yards away.

Chipping and pitching is definitely the weakest aspect of my game right now. I need to get out and practice.

Typically the best part of my game, so yeah I think I'm pretty good with the wedges around the green.

Are You a Good Chipper?

I'm getting there but it's also the part of my game where I could improve my score the most. I leave myself with a lot of 2 putts when I could have had a 1 putt.

Back