Replaced the 42 year old Hogan Special sand wedge...

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
Back in 1975 a golf buddy noticed I didn't have a sand wedge, just tried to use a PW and open the blade. B J gave me a sand wedge he used and after a few times getting out of a sand trap with the proper wedge, I said thanks and have used it ever since. It was very worn, still worked, but just worn out.

2%2024%2016%20SW%20c_zpsibejdal8.jpg
2%2024%2016%20SW%20b_zpsqneloknq.jpg

2%2024%2016%20SW%20a_zpspgcyuwop.jpg

Looking on eBay recently I came across another Ben Hogan Special sand iron. The single pic looked amazing, it seemed to be unused. I received it Saturday and couldn't believe the great condition. I contacted the seller and he said he bought it in 1974 with a number of other wedges and sand wedges. He never used it and decided to put it up for sale. I'm over the moon about replacing my severly worn Hogan sand iron with this pristine one.

5%2029%2017%20New%20Hogan%20sand%20wedge%20a_zpsjmyj0k8v.jpg
5%2029%2017%20New%20Hogan%20sand%20wedge%20b_zpstntmo2ok.jpg

Used it twice today and both sand shots ended up inside 6 ft. I'm still smiling. :bananadance:

Back in 1975 a golf buddy noticed I didn't have a sand wedge, just tried to use a PW and open the blade. B J gave me a sand wedge he used and after a few times getting out of a sand trap with the proper wedge, I said thanks and have used it ever since. It was very worn, still worked, but just worn out.

2%2024%2016%20SW%20c_zpsibejdal8.jpg
2%2024%2016%20SW%20b_zpsqneloknq.jpg

2%2024%2016%20SW%20a_zpspgcyuwop.jpg

Looking on eBay recently I came across another Ben Hogan Special sand iron. The single pic looked amazing, it seemed to be unused. I received it Saturday and couldn't believe the great condition. I contacted the seller and he said he bought it in 1974 with a number of other wedges and sand wedges. He never used it and decided to put it up for sale. I'm over the moon about replacing my severly worn Hogan sand iron with this pristine one.

5%2029%2017%20New%20Hogan%20sand%20wedge%20a_zpsjmyj0k8v.jpg
5%2029%2017%20New%20Hogan%20sand%20wedge%20b_zpstntmo2ok.jpg

Used it twice today and both sand shots ended up inside 6 ft. I'm still smiling. :bananadance:

That is hilarious, I have exactly the same model that I bought new in 1975 and have replaced several times through ebay each time the grooves wear out. Probably about $20.00 each time.There is just something about the weight and feel that hasn't been duplicated for me and it executes a perfect flop shot when needed. It's on the bench now but always finds a way back into the bag.

Great story too vsabre. I know exactly what you mean about this specific sand wedge. I've tried all the new wedges that are 56* or 58* that have come along throughout the years. None of them come even close to the performance of this Hogan sand iron. :thumb:

Great story too vsabre. I know exactly what you mean about this specific sand wedge. I've tried all the new wedges that are 56* or 58* that have come along throughout the years. None of them come even close to the performance of this Hogan sand iron. :thumb:

Agreed..

Exactly like my sand wedge - the 1st club I ever bought. I just re-grooved it this week; we'll see how that works.

Exactly like my sand wedge - the 1st club I ever bought. I just re-grooved it this week; we'll see how that works.
It's like an old friend huh?

I think I have one of those in the basement.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great looking, solid find there! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think I have one of those in the basement.

Hey cigar smokin friend. Take a pic of it and post it up. I'm surprised that all these years since I started using the Hogan Special sand wedge that I haven't found one yet, since 1975, that feels, looks and performs like it does. It hasn't been for looking either, always looked to replace it but never found anything. Thanks to eBay for a great selection of the original Hogan Special sand wedge.

Hey cigar smokin friend. Take a pic of it and post it up. I'm surprised that all these years since I started using the Hogan Special sand wedge that I haven't found one yet, since 1975, that feels, looks and performs like it does. It hasn't been for looking either, always looked to replace it but never found anything. Thanks to eBay for a great selection of the original Hogan Special sand wedge.
56cfde32d9888c0b44227bb41ad647c2.jpg

When, if ever, have you played that wedge? It works away from a sand trap too, have used it for a flopper from fluffy grass around the green and it works great.

That's awesome!

When, if ever, have you played that wedge? It works away from a sand trap too, have used it for a flopper from fluffy grass around the green and it works great.
I don't think it's ever seen a course since I've had it. Have only hit balls at my house with it.

Back