Craziest Thing Happened!

Ugh, he had to feel awful killing two eagles (golf puns aside). I've seen a guy birder a mallard duck 30 feet away with a low tee shot, and was also golfing with a co-worker when he landed a 7 iron shot right on top of one of several grackles hopping around on the green. The grackle wasn't dead but could only really flap one wing well and his legs looked paralyzed too. He was still mean as h*ll on the beak end and one of his buds kept swooping in to attack us as we tried to herd him into the bushes. Eventually my buddy decided to just put him out of his misery (which was probably best). Funny thing is, a couple weeks later I pulled into the parking lot at work with another friend (who was with us when the grackle was killed) and noticed the hood of the birderers truck had three bird bombs on it. He slipped a note under his wiper blade with an arrow pointed to the biggest bomb that read "we saw what you did to our friend" and signed it "every bird in Texas"

LOL - that's priceless!

Wow its hard to imagine that any of this could happen. I feel like that is really a one in a million chance.

Somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd year I was playing (1996 or 1997), I was playing my local 9 hole goat track. One of the holes was a decent length par 5 that dropped off into the woods on the left. Every so often, you'd find wild turkey out there.

This day, there were 5 or 6 of them up off the right side of the fairway. I hit a pretty decent drive that sliced wickedly (as was my play at the time) and headed right for the group of turkeys. The ball bounced just before them and kicked towards them... of course spooking them a bit. As such, they flapped their wings a bit and my ball received a VERY fortunate kick about 75 yards further up and in the fairway.

That's the only time I've hit a bird on the course. I've seen a goose have its head hit with a low line drive and watched it's neck spin around multiple times. It was dead instantly. I've also hit a robin with a baseball when I was a stupid 12 year old. I was practicing pitching for our Little League All Star team and I threw the ball at the bird when it was perched on our swing set, never imagining I'd hit it... but it caught the poor thing and it was dead on impact.

I cried for days, and to this day... I can't see a robin without feeling remorse.

Only other things I've killed (besides various bugs and drowning worms when fishing) have been turtles. At least twice I've run over small turtles in the road bordering ponds. That said... I've also saved a bunch by carrying them back to the pond when I do see them because, on a busy road like that one... it's inevitable.

I don't remember ever hitting a bird on the course but I have came really close a few times. I did see a Red-tailed Hawk fly in and take a Malard off of a pond right in front of the green that I was playing and seen more than a few snakes picked up by Red-tails on the same course.

I rode past a goose that got hit by a golf ball by someone a few groups in front of me, the pro was there, telling us to keep away from the bird and its friends - they were circling around the bird, protecting it.
Monday, while I was practicing my putting, I saw a grasshopper on the green. Turns out I was not the only one - a road runner swooped by me (I felt the breeze on my legs) and ate it.

5666815e6cb52151a4b49642d0b933d8-dead-bird-has-get-well-soon-balloon.jpg

My cousin was on the range next to hole 3. He hit a half shank which went at about 45 degrees and we watched it head straight for the tractor cutting grass on hole 3. It hit the driver full on in the head and I was convinced he was dead.
Anyway pretty much everyone ran over and was like you need to go to hospital! He said give me 100,000/= and I'll go myself. That's about $40. So we pooled our cash and gave it to him. Then we just watched him start up the tractor again and continue cutting the grass.
He'd rather pocket the $40 than insure he was ok. That's 3rd world Africa for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit a gator at ChampionsGate one time. Don't think I did any damage, just pissed him off.

He was near the edge of water and I pulled my shot a bit. Not sure if it actually hit him, but there wasn't much of a splash for a ball going in the water. Right after the ball hit, he went up on shore quickly, opened his mouth wide open, and started looking around with his mouth open.

Sadly, i was nearly that bird yesterday when a guy hit a quick dropping duck hook and smashed into a cart right beside me. That would not have ended well. I guess there is a hospital right next to the course.

I believe i've seen that happen before.....youtube video or something....but its not something i would ever bet money on happening.

~Rock

I've seen Erky try to kill every animal on the grounds at Championsgate. Majestic.

Does anyone have a confirmed worm kill... with a worm burner.

I was playing against my brother in Houston one time. On 16 he hits a very low slice that was heading nowhere but the creek that ran along the hole, with nothing but firm grass between the ball and the water. All of a sudden, his ball comes to a dead stop and it looked he had a hit a branch that took a couple of rolls. When we get up there, it was actually a snake he hit. It caught the snake right in the middle and almost cut it in half, but that snake kept his ball out of the creek!

Last year my buddy hit a hole in one by hitting a goose in the head or neck (killing the goose). The ball bounced off the goose to the left and rolled in the cup. About a year and half prior to that he was driving a par 4 over water in one and nailed a goose in the chest (killing the goose). He is now referred to as the goose sniper.

Back