Iron set for my tall father

UCChris

Hack of the worst kind...
Reaction score
Handicap
Recently got way into golf and my father has expressed an interest in picking the sport back up. I figured Fathers Day would be the perfect occasion. He has a no name boxed set that is like 15 years old. He's 6'3" and this boxed set is standard length, so it's a nightmare for him. Since I'm a ridiculously broke college undergrad, I'm looking for a good set of irons that I can get around $300-400 new that are +1". I heard Taylormade Speedblade HL's have a 1" longer shaft than standard? I found a set on EBay NIB for $300.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not sure about the Speedblades being longer, but you can get into a set of new custom fit Tour Edge Hot Launch 2 for $400 (4-AW) or $500 (3h, 4h, 5-PW). I played the predecessor 2x6 set for ten years and they are a sensational value. Of course, he should try before he buys, regardless of set.

Not sure about the Speedblades being longer, but you can get into a set of new custom fit Tour Edge Hot Launch 2 for $400 (4-AW) or $500 (3h, 4h, 5-PW). I played the predecessor 2x6 set for ten years and they are a sensational value. Of course, he should try before he buys, regardless of set.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's pretty rough on my budget, but I could give them to him a few weeks after Fathers Day.

Just go to Ebay and enter "iron set +1". You will likely get several hits of sets with +1" shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently got a 6-pw Cleveland altitudes +1 off callaway preowned for under $200 shipped.

I recently got a 6-pw Cleveland altitudes +1 off callaway preowned for under $200 shipped.
Thanks for the heads up.

You will have much better results looking for quality clubs in that price point if you are wiling to accept used clubs. You can go to Global Golf and search their used inventory based on length of irons (+1, +.75, etc...). Looks like quite a few deals, even better if you have a code (memorial is good for 17% off right now). Also, Cleveland 588 MT irons run a bit long and can be had for less than $200 new on Ebay (these are very under-rated clubs and easy to hit).

I'm not trying to be your financial adviser, but that seems like an awful lot that you are looking to spend for a Father's Day gift considering you are broke college student. Perhaps offer to pay for a round and mention that you think he would enjoy the game more with more current equipment and offer to help him find something that would fit him better than his boxed set. Just my $.02

I see your point about the cost, but it's something I've been considering for a while.

Are you sure he needs longer clubs rather than adjusting the lie angle? I'm 6'3" or 4" and use standard length clubs even with a fairly upright stance. If he has short arms for his height then longer clubs are probably necessary but that may not be the issue.

Are you sure he needs longer clubs rather than adjusting the lie angle? I'm 6'3" or 4" and use standard length clubs even with a fairly upright stance. If he has short arms for his height then longer clubs are probably necessary but that may not be the issue.
Interesting. I could be wrong. I guess we should get him in for a fitting.

Exactly my thoughts. I have 2 good friends whos sons are college golfers and are both 6' 3" and use standard length clubs.

Sounds like I'm definitely wrong (which is rather unsurprising). I'll take him in for a fitting!

Sounds like I'm definitely wrong (which is rather unsurprising). I'll take him in for a fitting!

Best option. Lie angle as well as length matters, not to mention swing speed.

Agree with getting him a fitting. I'm a bit over 6'2" and my irons are +1 inch and 1 degree upright.

The fitter explained that my arms are apparently slightly shorter than what is expected for my height (go figure).

Ken

Agree with getting him a fitting. I'm a bit over 6'2" and my irons are +1 inch and 1 degree upright.

The fitter explained that my arms are apparently slightly shorter than what is expected for my height (go figure).

Ken

Everyone is different. I am also 6'2" and irons are +0.5" and 2 degrees upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 6'5" and my clubs are only 0.5" over standard. I have long arms and short legs. At one point i was 1.5" over standard because the fitter had the "you are tall so you need long clubs" mentality.

This is all very good to know!

Back