2017 M1 rescue hybrid

JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently replaced my ping G30 hybrid. it lost its spot because of a lack of versatility when playing from tougher lies.

Replaced it with a 2017 M1 rescue. The M1 has a compact iron style head shape like the Apex hybrid. Not as forgiving as many other shapes. It excels though in executing true rescue functions. The compact head gives it more versatility out of the rough.

the club does not have a hot face; none of the springiness of GI style hybrids. A well struck shot is rewarded, and a bad swing not so much. That said, it is not at penal allowing us non your strikers to put it to use. It plays much more of an iron feel than most hybrids, which is what I was after. a good strike is rewarded with a firm whack; no metal wood 'ting' with this club. shots come off the face with a feel of control.

The adjustability in loft and draw/fade allowed me to dial it in to be a well matched club between my 3w and 4i. (For me, it is my 205 club).

Alignment takes a bit of getting used to. With the rising toe, the top line is not parallel to the face groves. This is a bit unnatural. TM accounted for this by filling the bottom narrow grove with white fill. Not offensive, but a helpful reminder for alignment to combat the visually deceptive top line

the Larkin grip from the factory is very long allowing users to choke down. I removed it to put an mcc+4 to be consistent with my set. That said, factory grip was a good grip that wasn't overly soft.

summary; for those players looking for a better players hybrid, the latest M1 is another good alternative to the Apex hybrids that are well loved on these forums.

I really like this hybrid. In fact I think its the best club in the 2017 line for the company. I think its a bit lower spin than most players' hybrids, personally.

Can you explain the hot face thing? I agree it is not the most forgiving option, but its still a hollow body thinned face design, right?

Absolutely JB. My reference is the ping g30. Balls off that face feel springy and hot on center, dead a muted off center. Gives big distance on good contact, but doesn't inspire distance control confidence. I equate this feeling to almost metal woods.

By comparison, the M1 does not feel as hot and gives more of an iron feel. Feedback is still plentiful, but you're left with a shot the feels under better distance control. I don't know the swing weight as stock, but with the factory Mitsubishi Stiff shaft, it feels more iron than metal wood. These are all desirable traits for me as it truly is a 3 iron replacement for me, not a compact 5 or 7 wood.

Another comment; because of the compact head, the draw/fade weight seems to have a pronounced effect (when compared to metal woods and drivers) won't save you from a bad swing, but you can absolutely tailor a consistent ball flight.

Back