What factors influence the decision of what ball you pick?

ttucliffhanger

2024 Bag Boy Championship - Aqua Men
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
After some discussion earlier today on the Cut Golf thread about ball comparison, it got me thinking about all the factors that influence us to pick a ball. For me, it's how much it spins off the driver, how much I can get the ball to hop and stop. Let's be honest, most of us can't make the ball backspin on the reg. It usually happens by chance. Feel off the putter is a factor, but what you get for a price is the most important factor for me. Doesn't have to be a big name ball, but if it works for your game go for it. What's yalls thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm a big feel guy. I don't want something that feels like a rock off of my clubs but I also don't like something that feels like a marshmallow.

Spin is another factor. I love to see the ball stop around the greens but I generate a lot of spin off the tee and irons so anything that can help produce less spin is usually a plus for me. By that I mean I straighter ball flight.

Also, I hit the ball high naturally so anything that can help keep it lower is another plus for me too.

Distance is a non factor for me at this point. I hit the ball further than most of my friends so anything that offers forgiveness over distance is another plus.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a big feel guy. I don't want something that feels like a rock off of my clubs but I also don't like something that feels like a marshmallow.

Spin is another factor. I love to see the ball stop around the greens but I generate a lot of spin off the tee and irons so anything that can help produce less spin is usually a plus for me. By that I mean I straighter ball flight.

Also, I hit the ball high naturally so anything that can help keep it lower is another plus for me too.

Distance is a non factor for me at this point. I hit the ball further than most of my friends so anything that offers forgiveness over distance is another plus.

Hope that helps.

It does. Just curious to hear why others choose the ball they do.

I actually took a different approach this year thanks to a THP video and started at the chipping green. Started with 5 balls and narrowed it down to 2. Then went to 100 yrds and 150 yrds then driver. Ended up liking the snell mtb.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I actually took a different approach this year thanks to a THP video and started at the chipping green. Started with 5 balls and narrowed it down to 2. Then went to 100 yrds and 150 yrds then driver. Ended up liking the snell mtb.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
That's a good analysis on how you chose your ball.

1. Feel of the clubs.
2. Performance.

Brand, cover type, feel, performance.

I start with price. As a higher hdcp'er, I will lose balls. I'm OK with losing ones that are a buck a piece, not so OK with ones that are $4 each.

From there, I go with compression/feel. As some who's driver swing tops out at maybe 94mph on a good day, I've learned that lower compression balls give me more distance and height off of all my clubs. They also feel good off the putter, and I've leaned to play for rollout along the greens.

Finally I go with overall performance. There are a lot of balls that meet the above criteria, but not all of them work well for me. Over the past few years I've learned that the Duo & Softfli work really well for me, along with the e6. Other softer balls, like the SuperSoft, don't have some performance things I like that the other balls do have. The jury is still out for me on the Q-Star Tour, but I'm sticking with it for a bit longer.

1. Price
2. Urathane
3. Feel off the putter
4. Distance

Feel
Performance
Weather (a play a different ball in cold/hot weather)

Feel(putting)
Short game performance
Brand(dimple design)

I like callaway hex design, something about their rule 35 balls that stuck with me and experience of playing cross wind with them. How much it actually helps? Who knows but it works out for me mentally so I stick with them. I've been playing callaway ever since. I also like the Bridgestone rxs, they look similar.

Don't care much for the super soft compression but lack of spin around the greens. They give out false signals sometimes.

How it performs off the putter is the most important thing for me, followed by short game control.

Another high handicapper who wants a lower, straighter flight in an affordable ball. Greenside spin is not a factor for me as I usually chip and run or drop a high wedge into the green - at least that's my plan. And it's gotta be available in high-vis. I've rotated among the Supersoft, Duo, and old e6, with the old Q Star just a notch below. I have some new e6 Softs to try, and I'd like to try the new Q Star Tour to see if it's a little longer than the older version. Of those three, I think I prefer the e6 and Duo to the Supersoft. I seem to lose fewer balls with the first two.

If I had to pick one ball to play a serious round today, it would be the e6 Soft. But I wouldn't be adamant about it.

Golf balls have come a long way, so to speak. Anyone else remember when an important quality in a golf ball was "Is it hard to cut?"

All around performance is #1 for me. A urethane cover is a must. I want plenty of spin around the green and on approach shots. I want lower spin off the tee. I like lower compression and a soft feel off of my putter. Once all of that is settled, if there is a tie, then it boils down to price/value. I'm fairly picky about the ball I play, IMO it's just as important as any of the other gear in our bags.

I pick my ball from the green out, so how does it perform short game and putting then irons play then woods.

Performance, feel, price. I will pay more if it works, but from what I have seen lately I don't need to pay a premium price for a good ball that performs well.

What factors influence the decision of what ball you pick?

Whatever I find - usually they are urethane covered balls, so I've played almost every ball.
I prefer the softer compression balls, just based on feel. They also don't seem to spin as much off of the driver.

Price is always my first pick (to JB and Golfunfiltered's podcast dismay) but that also doesn't mean I will play a low end ball, I just look for deals.
Feel around the green (Urethane) is my second point. I want a decent spinning ball around the green that will work out to decent spin on the longer irons and low spin off the driver.
For the past few years I've been searching for a ball and this forum has given me a ton of great reviews and resources that I've finally been able to pick a ball and stick with it. Although that doesn't mean I won't test others to try and knock it off but the Z Star has fit everything in my game so far I'm looking for.

Just like most it's all about feel, feel off the driver and putter mostly.

Taylormade for me, every time I try another ball I realize why I like them, they just feel great off every club.

I start with price. As a higher hdcp'er, I will lose balls. I'm OK with losing ones that are a buck a piece, not so OK with ones that are $4 each.

From there, I go with compression/feel. As some who's driver swing tops out at maybe 94mph on a good day, I've learned that lower compression balls give me more distance and height off of all my clubs. They also feel good off the putter, and I've leaned to play for rollout along the greens.

Finally I go with overall performance. There are a lot of balls that meet the above criteria, but not all of them work well for me. Over the past few years I've learned that the Duo & Softfli work really well for me, along with the e6. Other softer balls, like the SuperSoft, don't have some performance things I like that the other balls do have. The jury is still out for me on the Q-Star Tour, but I'm sticking with it for a bit longer.
Price is important for me. Even as a 10 handicap I lose about 1 to 2 balls a round and I just have a huge problem spending money for something just for the name when you can get the same benefits for a cheaper price. Thst just means more rounds of golf.

Feel(putting)
Short game performance
Brand(dimple design)

I like callaway hex design, something about their rule 35 balls that stuck with me and experience of playing cross wind with them. How much it actually helps? Who knows but it works out for me mentally so I stick with them. I've been playing callaway ever since. I also like the Bridgestone rxs, they look similar.

Don't care much for the super soft compression but lack of spin around the greens. They give out false signals sometimes.
That's what matter! Is thst it works for you. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and when you find something that you like and fits what you want go with it!

All around performance is #1 for me. A urethane cover is a must. I want plenty of spin around the green and on approach shots. I want lower spin off the tee. I like lower compression and a soft feel off of my putter. Once all of that is settled, if there is a tie, then it boils down to price/value. I'm fairly picky about the ball I play, IMO it's just as important as any of the other gear in our bags.
I never realized how important ball choice was till about 2 years ago and more so recently in the last year since I joined THP and doing more research.

Soft feel off the putter and irons and spin around the green.

I've got a few brands that I can play. I keep a couple of each in the bag and whatever my hand comes out with, I play. I don't think my game is tuned to the point that I can tell a big difference, unless the ball is super hard, which I do not like!

Looks like im the opposite to most lol i absolutely fall in love with a ball that sounds great off the driver. The loud, crisp impact sound i get from the Srixon Z star XV makes me want to keep it in play

Back