Ping irons... Love/Hate/Other?

Rambler

Reaction score
Handicap
9.9, so 10
Hi, my name is Rambler, and I'm a Ping iron homer...

My history with Ping irons...
i3, Eye2, i3 WRX blade, i3+ WRX, G2, i5, G5, G15, i5, g25. I also tried the i25s and S55s, but didn't game them.

So I've been really tempted to hop back into Ping irons after several years of working through other brands/options (errr... "several" probably doesn't exactly cover the full scale of my iron ho-ing). I know some other folks have done something similar recently. Ping irons, and maybe even the brand itself, appears to be a love it or hate it option for folks. Why is that? Designs? Marketing? Interaction?

I can't really explain why I enjoy playing Ping irons. I'm OK with the more industrial look, sound, and feel (though Ping has done a good bit in the past few iron iterations to "soften" some of that). In fact, as I ponder irons, now, I've looked at the G30 and G, and would lean towards the G30, because it does remind me more of that industrial/functional look I've come to enjoy and associate with the brand.

Last edited:
I've hated the looks of their irons since the old Ping Zing crap. The only exception was the S55's. Also, I will say that their Glide wedges are underrated.

Hi, my name is Rambler, and I'm a Ping iron homer...

My history with Ping irons...
i3, Eye2, i3 blade, G2, i5, G5, G15, i5, g25. I also tried the i25s and S55s, but didn't game them.

So I've been really tempted to hop back into Ping irons after several years of working through other brands/options (errr... "several" probably doesn't exactly cover the full scale of my iron ho-ing). I know some other folks have done something similar recently. Ping irons, and maybe even the brand itself, appears to be a love it or hate it option for folks. Why is that? Designs? Marketing? Interaction?

I can't really explain why I enjoy playing Ping irons. I'm OK with the more industrial look, sound, and feel (though Ping has done a good bit in the past few iron iterations to "soften" some of that). In fact, as I ponder irons, now, I've looked at the G30 and G, and would lean towards the G30, because it does remind me more of that industrial/functional look I've come to enjoy and associate with the brand.

I have always had a soft spot for ping irons. Ping i3 blades were my first real set of golf clubs when I got into the game. I still think those are a great looking iron. I have been draw to the idea of the G series Irons in the past but really lean toward the i stuff from an visual stand point. (offset standpoint as well) I really like the i200's and the iblades are as clean as it gets.

I feel like Ping has always been at the forefront of innovation from a manufacturing standpoint. They don't market it well, IMHO.

Ping iron homer, although the last set I owned was the i10's. Grew up sneaking my dad's eye2's out of his bag and in to mine for some high school matches. First purchase I made after college with my first big boy paycheck was a set of i3's. Jenn bought me my i10's when I worked at golf galaxy and I thought they would be my irons for years to come. Then I found THP. I did test the s55's for THP along with several others, and really liked what they had to offer. But to be honest they were just a bit much for my game. Somehow I have resisted the i20,i25, and ie1 and it wasn't for lack of trying to find a way to get them in the bag. I can't wait to give the i200's a chance.

I am a complete Ping iron homer. I gamed the G10, G15, I20 and now the I200's are on their way.

I have always liked everything about them from looks and performance. They do not seem nearly as flashy as other brands.

Love PING irons. Haven't gamed them in a while, but I'm a fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never gamed a set of PING irons and have never been a fan, the PING EYE 2's wrecked it for me. Though I will say a few years ago I went to a fitting and hit everything and the i20's beat everything out and actually was real close to buying a set but couldn't pull the trigger, ended up going with a set of Nike Pro Cavity's instead.

hate is a strong word, but i am not a fan at all. i have a strong dislike for the i25 i gamed for awhile. i did like the s56 that i hit a couple times. i don't get the love at all but to each their own.

Love.

Played the i25 most of last couple seasons, and kind of wish I held on to them.

Clubs in my bag are my first non-putter Pings. First the G irons, then the Glide wedges, then the G30 5 wood. They are in there simply because they work demonstrably better than the alternatives for me. I like what they do, but I have no special loyalty to them. When it's time for a replacement, I will certainly consider Ping offerings,

Funny, just posted in jman's WITB thread but I always wanted a set of the Ping eye's back in HS. Never got 'em. To this day I've never owned a set a Ping irons. One day that will change because of that itch created back in HS that was never scratched.

Feel and Performance.....LOVE!!

Not a fan. When I got fitted last year Ping was constantly 10 yards shorter than everything else I tried.

It all depends on the model. I play the s55 really liked the i25 the i200 are decent but nothing special and I didn't like the ie1 or Gmax.

if you play desert, pebbles, cast irons are probably better bang for your buck with Ping HQ being in AZ. I played a few forged and it gets pretty brutal fast.
I don't like most of the Ping iron's looks but their recent middle/low handicap irons looks amazing.
I'm also biased since I have easy access to their HQ, their customer service is always top notch.

I've never known anyone that had Ping Irons that disliked their Ping Irons.

~Rock

I have been a fan of Ping irons. I lost interest a bit when their main designer left for PXG and the look of their clubs changed. I have not tried their latest lines but they gave been favorably reviewed

I'm a big fan of Ping as a company. I love my new Ping Crossover 3 & 4 irons which give me the length and forgiveness of a hybrid with the accuracy and trajectory control of an iron. My second set of irons after playing my Taylormades from age 16 to age 35 was a set of i3 Blades and they served me well for 8 years. If my Srixon 765's weren't so damn good I'd be playing a set of I200's.

I've hated the looks of their irons since the old Ping Zing crap. The only exception was the S55's. Also, I will say that their Glide wedges are underrated.

Have definitely heard this a lot. From a looks perspective, Ping had stuck to more of what I'm calling an industrial/functional look, and I can understand how that would not appeal to everyone.

...I feel like Ping has always been at the forefront of innovation from a manufacturing standpoint. They don't market it well, IMHO.

This is more interesting to me... Is it that they don't market it well, or is "their way" to market it as they have been for years? Not saying it's right or wrong, obviously. There are folks who will always love Ping irons, but would taking a different marketing approach help to get "converts", too, not just folks who are loyalists.

I am a complete Ping iron homer. I gamed the G10, G15, I20 and now the I200's are on their way.

I have always liked everything about them from looks and performance. They do not seem nearly as flashy as other brands.

I used to think this as well, but they have migrated, a little bit, away from that with some of the designs. From a marketing/selling perspective, I would tend to agree.

Funny, just posted in jman's WITB thread but I always wanted a set of the Ping eye's back in HS. Never got 'em. To this day I've never owned a set a Ping irons. One day that will change because of that itch created back in HS that was never scratched.
This is pretty much me too. When I was a teen I had a buddy that had Ping irons and I lusted over them. Someday I'll own a set just to check that box.

I've never known anyone that had Ping Irons that disliked their Ping Irons.

~Rock

I've pretty much encountered the same, but I'm guessing I was speaking to Ping loyalists, too.

I have been a fan of Ping irons. I lost interest a bit when their main designer left for PXG and the look of their clubs changed. I have not tried their latest lines but they gave been favorably reviewed

I also wondered what the impact would be with some of the folks leaving for PXG, because you can clearly see a couple of attributes in PXG irons that I would swear are from Ping.

played i20, didn't like i25 and ie1 were good but not what i was looking for at the time. I like the i200 look and the iblade.

I loved my BeCu ISI irons but I really didn't like the looks of any offerings to follow.

The newer stuff looks good to my eye but Ping has been so far off my radar and for so long that I can't be sure that I'll ever give them another look.

But who knows? Probably 15 years in between the time I played Callaway and now that brand dominates my bag.

I'm a big fan. First set of irons I ever bought myself were G5's. Now I have a set of i10's just to have around and travel with, as they are essentially tanks. Definitely a different look/feel than a lot of other options, but I have always been more than happy with them.

I'm a big fan. First set of irons I ever bought myself were G5's. Now I have a set of i10's just to have around and travel with, as they are essentially tanks. Definitely a different look/feel than a lot of other options, but I have always been more than happy with them.

you play your i10's this weekend and I'll do the same.

Back