Luke Williams Talks Epic Irons: Golf Unfiltered 113

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The THP Radio Network is filled with a variety of shows and new to the network is the Golf Unfiltered show with Adam Fonseca. The show brings new and interesting topics and interviews from the world of golf and THP is honored to have it as part of our lineup on The Hackers Paradise Podcast Network.

Luke Williams, Sr. Director, Global Product Strategy (Irons and Putters) for Callaway Golf, joins the show to discuss the new Callaway Epic and Epic Pro irons.

Luke and Adam discuss the concept and inspiration behind the Epic irons, including what went into their unique design. We detail how regular golfers can benefit from these new irons and what sets them apart from similar clubs on the market. Finally, we discuss their high price point and what drove Callaway to consider this level.

Join the fun by listening at the link below or if you are on the THP Mobile App, click the THP Radio button on the bottom. As always you can find THP Radio on iTunes or Google Play at The Hackers Paradise or whatever platform is your favorite of choice for podcasts.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/luke-williams-talks-epic-irons-golf-unfiltered-113/

Just saw this pop up on my phone, will listen to it tonight, can't wait to hear about these overpriced, ugly, loft jacked irons.

Enjoyed the listen. Good questions and more details how this will be its own line. Chuckled that he said most PGA pros most likely won't game this iron because it can be an extra 15 yards on each club, yeesh, but perhaps on the longer irons they could try them out.

I liked what I heard that this could be a club difference for amateurs, as someone who doesn't hit the ball that far, I'd say my 7 iron maxes out at about 155 when hit flush. But having this muscle back and focus on distance, could easily be a club difference with the new technology and the idea of stiffening the face while still maintaining the face cup sounds great!

Luke Williams' title should be Sr. Director of The Nest. He's the man and man can he crush a golf ball. Excited to listen to this one.

• Admin
Luke Williams' title should be Sr. Director of The Nest. He's the man and man can he crush a golf ball. Excited to listen to this one.

He is fantastic at explaining tech.

Very enjoyable listen!! Really looking forward to at least trying the Epic irons. I don't know about the price but we will see!!

I enjoyed speaking to Luke and learning more about the Epic irons.

I haven't had the chance to try them yet, and I hope to do so at some point, as I think they could help my game in terms of distance. I average 160 with my 7-iron at the moment, which is better than average according to national stats, but I'm most interested in the forgiveness across the face. My Miuras are great when hit flush, but I lose upwards of 10 yards on miss hits. That's almost a full club difference.

Yes! Something to listen to while grading

I enjoyed speaking to Luke and learning more about the Epic irons.

I haven't had the chance to try them yet, and I hope to do so at some point, as I think they could help my game in terms of distance. I average 160 with my 7-iron at the moment, which is better than average according to national stats, but I'm most interested in the forgiveness across the face. My Miuras are great when hit flush, but I lose upwards of 10 yards on miss hits. That's almost a full club difference.

I enjoyed the Interview. Great question about the Apex 16's possible replacement.
Would like to hit these compared to my JGR Hybrid Irons.
It almost seems like the same principle. Higher Lofts because the ball launches so high that you have to increase the loft to make them act like a the iron number.

Enjoyed listening to it and very happy to hear the Apex line isn't going away (I figured it wouldn't be). I need to take a look at the specs for the Epic irons but I am getting to the opinion that I don't worry about the loft an iron is, but how long it is will be a factor for me. PW has always been about 35-35.5", if it is 36" then I should gain some yardage just off of that.

If the lengths are traditional and I get a distance increase as well as some more forgiveness, well that it is something well worth my time to look at.

Really good and informative episode here. I enjoyed hearing how and why the epic irons are different from other offerings and how they were born. One thing that confused me was the fact that they don't expect tour pros to play them except maybe in the long irons. I understand why as Luke explained but just seems a bit odd.

Here is our top end product, but it's not made for the pros it's made for people who want, need and can afford the best game improvement tech available. Actually as I just typed that out I just realized...maybe it's brilliant. I guess we will see.

Luke Williams Talks Epic Irons: Golf Unfiltered 113

Nice interview! I love that Callaway is filling a void they see in the market place. I wonder how many that are looking for a super premium iron are willing to play something as unique/unconventional as the Epic iron? For me to spend that much on irons, I would have to be in love with the looks and the performance. I'm sure they are for somebody just not for me. Can't wait to see the new Apex though, glad you asked that.

I agree with Jeremy, without Tour adoption it is going to be interesting to see how these do. We also don't know Callaway forecast for these, maybe they are not a huge production run like the ApexCF?? I'm not dumb enough to think Callaway doesn't know what they are doing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great podcast. they sound like they will be spectacular clubs (and better be at that price point)

Good listen. Luke is very well spoken and easy to understand.

Back