THP tackles Bethpage Black

Nice shooting !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pics guys! Enjoyed catching up on this. Would love to play the black again. I played it in 2005 ish, when I was a 15-16 index. Butt kicker! 108 was my score.

This is still just SO awesome to me. One of those courses that has always been on my 'list'.

Good stuff guys, fun to follow along.

I'd love to play there sometime but I don't think my game would fair well ha.

Great thread guys!! I'd love to play there and I definitely will.

I am completely jealous....definately one of the courses on my bucket list!

Thanks for the great pics and letting us follow along....some of those fairways look really narrow!!

Oh and by they way, 102 heat index is nothing....we get that by noon almost everyday this time of year :D

I hope im not sounding rude but can you tell who is who please? Ive never meet any of you guys so im not sure which name goes to who. :D

Thanks for all the photos guys, looks like an awesome course and awesome time being had. Also is it a private course or open to the public?

left to right
Scarnici, The Chosen One, O'Carroll and DDec

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That looked like a good time

Looked like one hell of a time and just as difficult as I remember it. I too tackled the Black in some severe heat. Thinking of playing this in the next few weeks.

Great looking track.
Thanks for taking us along with your round !

Its weird seeing Pete be in the taller half of any group of people.

Its weird seeing Pete be in the taller half of any group of people.
LOL.... I actually thought that for Dean.....I had to enlarge the photo on my phone to make sure it was him before I identified them for Lopsta. ha

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Also is it a private course or open to the public?
Its public, but it's…complicated. Ddec was able to get a tee time, so he would know better than I, but New York residents can call for a tee time 7 days in advance once registered with Bethpage (or the NYS Dept. of Parks and Rec). However, they reserve a bunch of tee times each day for walk ins, which is where you hear people camping out in the parking lot overnight to get tee times. He originally was trying to get one for Friday, called a few seconds after the times opened up, and was shut out. Then he got lucky when he called back a day later for yesterday's time.

I hope im not sounding rude but can you tell who is who please? Ive never meet any of you guys so im not sure which name goes to who. :D

Thanks for all the photos guys, looks like an awesome course and awesome time being had. Also is it a private course or open to the public?

It's completely public. In fact it's run by the NYS Parks department.

Here is the webpage that really helped guide me to getting a tee time. http://www.golftripper.com/bethpage-tee-time-phone-reservation-system/

Below is the process they highlight,

Step 1: Get registered with the system – To do this you must fax OR mail a photo copy of your state driver’s license. In the blank part of the page you must write out, in CLEAR handwriting, all of the details on your drivers license in the event that the photo copy is not legible. The number to fax this is 516-753-0413 and the address is 99 Quaker Meetinghouse Road, Farmingdale, NY 11735. If faxing the registration you may dial 516-249-0701 and press zero to confirm that it went through and was received.YOU MUST ALLOW 72 HOURS FOR THE REGISTRATION PROCESS.
Step 2: Confirm your registration number – Each person will receive a 9 digit registration number. For New York State residents this is your 9 digit driver’s license number. For out of state visitors you will be assigned a 9 digit number. When you send in the copy of your drivers license you must also include contact information for their records, preferably an email address. Out of state visitors will be contacted with their 9 digit number to use in the system. If you are an out of state visitor and you have not heard back from Bethpage State Park after 72 hours of submitting your registration you may call 516-249-0701 to inquire about your registration status. After registering and being processed I strongly suggest calling the reservations phone number to make sure that your 9 digit number works and you are able to get into the system.
Step 3: Decide what day you want to play – Bethpage Black is closed at various times throughout the season so it is wise to make sure that the course will indeed be open for play on the day that you are planning to try to get a tee time. NOTE: The Black Course closes from around Thanksgiving until mid-April the following year.
Step 4: Smile and dial – New York state residents will want to call 7 days prior to the desired play day at 7:00PM Eastern Standard Time. For example, if you want to play on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday you will need to call in on the preceding Thursday, Friday or Saturday . . . 7:00PM SHARP. Out of state residents will want to call on Tuesday for a Thursday, Wednesday for a Friday, Thursday for a Saturday, etc. Be forewarned that there is a very high likelihood of hearing A LOT of busy signals and “all circuits are busy” messages before you finally get through. Keep plugging away at it and dialing as fast as you can.
NOTE: It is not necessary to wait for the automated operator to finish talking before pressing the buttons. Speed matters and you want to push the buttons to navigate your way through the system as quickly as possible. I strongly suggest doing a “dry run” several days in advance of when you will be booking to 1.)make sure that your 9 digit number is indeed in the system and 2.) so you can get familiar with the system.
Main Number: 516-249-0707
Once you are connected here is the sequence of numbers to quickly navigate the system:
Press 1 immediately – this gets you past the introductory message
Enter your personal 9 digit number followed by the # sign
Press 1 for being correct – this confirms you entered your 9 digits correctly
Press 1 to choose a course
Press 1 for Black
Press the number for the day you want to play – Sunday(1), Monday(2), Tuesday(3), Wednesday(4), Thursday(5), Friday(6), Saturday(7)
Enter the time you would like to play – 0800* is 8:00AM
Press the number of golfers – 1, 2, 3 or 4

If there are tee times available the automated phone operator will let you know and you can press 1 to confirm or 2 to cancel.
Once you have your tee time all you have to do is make sure your Great Aunt Hazel is available to play with you!

Great Aunt Hazel would've beaten me yesterday…

Good thing you guys brought pushcarts - walking with the elevations in the heat yesterday would have been brutal.

Good thing you guys brought pushcarts - walking with the elevations in the heat yesterday would have been brutal.
I carried like a boss. (I wish I had a pushcart).

For those disappointed with that process, I've been lucky enough to get on the Black course twice. I arrived around 445Ish, got my ticket and headed inside. Lucky to say the least and the first time I played it I did 3 days after the last U.S. Open hosted there.

So damn jealous of you guys, that looked like a blast and man that course looks good. Thanks for shari g it fellas

That looks like one heck of a course. Sounds like you had a blast, thanks for sharing.

So when I received a PM from Ddec about wanting to play Bethpage black I gave a tiger fist pump and got back to work but the rest of the week went by so slow. I started to prepare by simply doing alittle more conditioning at the gym and putting the course on my GPS and getting everything ready.

Well Sunday morning came quick, woke up at 4am, and grabbed the last few things I needed and was on the road. The course is 3.5 hours away and I made it to the parking lot in 3(just alittle excited I’d say.) Well I got up with the other guys and they said they were about a half hour away so I decided to walk around the grounds, looked in the pro shop and then caught breakfast. Well for those who haven’t been there the restaurant is about 40 yards away from the first tee and 18[SUP]th[/SUP] green, which can be seen from the patio. After my delicious egg wrap I walked to the first tee with the famous sign and watched two groups tee off before running into Dean and Pete. They had their breakfast and then Christian met up with us and then we headed to grab our clubs.

We headed to the range which $8 for 65 balls is a steal in my book. The heat was building and it affected me on the driving range. You’re not allowed to hit driver, which was fine (but that’s a ton of pressure off the first tee box considering you have to hit driver on the first hole.) well I did my normal routine but got to my 3 wood. Well after my 4[SUP]th[/SUP] swing it all went wrong. The club slipped out of my hand and two seconds later it was in a tree some 30-40 feet in the air. I started to laugh but then realized the day just got worse. It was stuck, word started to spread on the range and sure enough it wasn’t going anywhere so I played my entire round without a 3 wood.

Played a great round to my surprised since I hadn’t played except for one time since the Pittsburg event. It was a tough walk but with the help of Deans wifes clic gear I was able to make the whole round. There were certainly good shots and some bad shots but I believe in the group we only had one birdie, which tells you how tough the course is. It’s a course I couldn’t play two days in a row but I know for a fact that I want to play there ASAP.

I can’t thank Ddec enough for the invite, and I am thankful I was able to share this experience with these awesome guys.

Bring on the fall!

Uhh, did you ever get your 3w back? Holy crap that's terrible luck dude

Back