Will you take the "What did you shoot pledge?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what Wade was getting at, was that it can be intimidating as a high cap to see lower scores in the WDYST thread... and frankly, I get that... But I see it the same way I do when you buy a new car, start driving down the street, and suddenly EVERYONE is driving that style of car.... It's not so much that the scores are low as a whole, I just think the lower scores are more noticeable when you're looking for them.

I think mostly what it is, is low cappers complaining about scores that high cappers have never even sniffed. As I said, not sure there is much to do about that. Neither side is really wrong.

I think mostly what it is, is low cappers complaining about scores that high cappers have never even sniffed. As I said, not sure there is much to do about that. Neither side is really wrong.

I've been there before -- I used to get VERY emotional on the golf course (I blame 20 years of competitive hockey) and had a couple of guys chat with me about shooting above my handicap (at that time +1) a little more gracefully because I still beat them by 10 or 15 strokes.

But, if a 20 handicap can come into the thread and take issue with shooting 100, so can a 1 handicap come in and take issue with shooting a 77. It should not be looked at any differently despite said 20 handicap being willing to pay big money to shoot that 77 himself.

You also offer a very good sample of why I typically group my mediocre scores. I've been told 100+ times "wow I wish I was disappointed with that score" and it typically makes me just stay quiet about my underwhelming rounds. I don't want to offend anyone because I thought I could have done better.

I personally don't think Wade was out of line at all, and I think he was coming from an angle of trying to be as inclusive as possible, which is great. I think the part that got to people (like Dean, James, etc.) was the insinuation that people were being somehow dishonest about the scores that were posted by picking and choosing, which isn't true 95% of the time. Hell, I don't rush in here to post my high 90's scores when they crop up, but I'm sure as sh** gonna post my low 80's numbers about 5 minutes after dropping the last putt haha

I've been there before -- I used to get VERY emotional on the golf course (I blame 20 years of competitive hockey) and had a couple of guys chat with me about shooting above my handicap (at that time +1) a little more gracefully because I still beat them by 10 or 15 strokes.

But, if a 20 handicap can come into the thread and take issue with shooting 100, so can a 1 handicap come in and take issue with shooting a 77. It should not be looked at any differently despite said 20 handicap being willing to pay big money to shoot that 77 himself.

You also offer a very good sample of why I typically group my mediocre scores. I've been told 100+ times "wow I wish I was disappointed with that score" and it typically makes me just stay quiet about my underwhelming rounds. I don't want to offend anyone because I thought I could have done better.

That's it exactly. It'd be like you shooting a 69 and being excited to go post it. Then finding page after page of people complaining that they just couldn't get it going today and shot 52. BUT Low cappers have a right to complain about their bad rounds too. It kinda just is what it is. ( ...But as a 20+ I do appreciate your modesty.) :act-up:

Here is a logistical take.
There are tens of thousands of members on THP. There are over half a million readers on THP.

The percentage that post in the what did you shoot today thread is less than half a percent. I wish more posted about a lot of things.

Those that do get virtually no response so stop. If we get mad due to the lack of response of average golfers at any thread, it would be tough. See something like the Grandaddy.

I have yet to actually post a score in the thread because I honestly always forget to jump online when I get home from the course. Most of the time I go out after work and don't get back in the house until 9-930. Then it is usually just a bit of food and I usually fall asleep on the couch.

The answer is simple. Stop being so selfish and scoring well, and suck more. :alien:

I don't take it personally. If you want to complain about a 77, go ahead! It just fuels me more to get there. Because I look at that and say to myself "man, I can't wait for the day I can complain about a 77". Golf is such a personal sport, to take offense to what someone else is doing isn't going to get you very far.

Now if you come in there and say "hey golfer X, you shot a 85? hahaha my bad rounds are a 77" then it would be a different story. But I have never ever seen that or anything close to that on here.

I always thought most of us are pretty open about how bad we are, just more excited to talk about the good stuff.

I shot a quality 88 today, this game boggles the mind

In an effort to demonstrate full disclosure.....show a 92 today, one of my worst rounds of year, was massive wind I a fairly tough course but wind was not my biggest enemy....focus was my biggest....

So there you have it, single digit guy shooting +20.....

It happens....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In an effort to demonstrate full disclosure.....show a 92 today, one of my worst rounds of year, was massive wind I a fairly tough course but wind was not my biggest enemy....focus was my biggest....

So there you have it, single digit guy shooting +20.....

It happens....

Like you said, it happens. I shot an 87 the other day. Just another reason why we don't make our living in this game!

Managed a 39/44 today, got the cap revision and down to 9.5 then the last 3 rounds have been a challenge. No one thing bad all of it feeling off, I think it is post Gauntlet contest blues.....back to the range Scotty, Savannah is coming up fast!

FWIW, I've gone 84-80-80-93-91 the last 5 rounds...

#gettingworse

Yep, pretty normal for high scores from single digit folks.....or should I say not abnormal....

I post a lot of my rounds in that thread. I posted my 99 yesterday and my 80 today.

I think that most people don't really talk about their mediocre, run of the mill rounds for the most part. They come for support after a horrible round and to share the excitement of shooting a great round.

92 at The links of Kahite .

I'm in. 36 holes today.
First 9- 44
Second nine was a scramble - we won 1 up
Second 18 - 90

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

had another less than great round for me..shot an 88...which was preceded by my 91...only to just go out to play for fun yesterday, and played 9 holes shot 38....

Was great to play loose, and not stressed...was amazed how much my bodied had tensed up while hitting driver...need some more range time to relax...swing smooth...

lol - I'll post what I want, when I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back